Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spring seat

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 10:59 AM
Tike71
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxatv
you can still go back to shocks if you cut the fender struts. you'll just have to remount the fender a diff. way like to the swingarm so it moves with the swingarm when the suspension compresses and releases.
I wonder if anyone on here has done that. That way you can have the fender mounted as low as you want and never worry about it rubbing the tire. Also imagine how smooth the ride would be with a spring seat and shocks, OR on the other hand it might be bouncy as f&^%k.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:34 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That was a pretty common way to do it back in the day. Looks cool.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:40 PM
fox4
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iron71tike
I wonder if anyone on here has done that. That way you can have the fender mounted as low as you want and never worry about it rubbing the tire. Also imagine how smooth the ride would be with a spring seat and shocks, OR on the other hand it might be bouncy as f&^%k.
I am planning on doing this sometime while I'm at home over winter break. My plan is to cut the fender struts all the way up to where the shocks bolt up. I'm still trying to find a place to bolt the fender supports to the swingarm. I was thinking about using the lower shock bolt up. That should be pretty easy to fabricate. The support on the belt side is going to be a little awkward to make since it is going to have to come out past the belt and then down. I am worried about how this might look. If I make it a smoother bend it should work. I was also going to replace the tail lights with smaller led lights and bolt them to the fender or something.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:48 PM
crobinson1324
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fox4
Check out the thread in the post by JambaJuice. That kit includes a little cover that goes over the hole. The next option would be buying a fender off an 04-06 model which would be from when they were still running on carbs and swapping it out with yours now. Another option would be the ever popular cutting the fender right where the ECM hole starts and rotating the fender forward giving the nightster/iron and even shorter fender. You would also need to hack a little off the fender sturts too. Mreed has a good example of the last option.
hey thanks man, ill definately check the post. mreeds set up is sick!!! dont think i have the ***** to do that though lol just dont think i could cut the frame

Old 11-19-2009, 11:43 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by iron71tike
typically, if you go spring seat you shouldn't run shocks but to each his own.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:45 PM
NKGMAN
6th Gear

Originally Posted by bmxatv
find a place for the ecm, some put it in with the battery some attach it to the frame behind the oil bag and some are putting it in this nifty little seatkit this guy is selling that places it under the seat in a sealed box and looks really clean, can't really tell it's there and comes with the springs, seat mount basically everything but the seat. then get a seat from somewhere, many on ebay, lickscycles etc. depending on what you want to do with the suspension (keeping it vs. struts) will also determine what you can do with the fender. that's pretty much it. i'm planning the same thing myself over the winter.......good luck.
Kit from what guy????? you didnt even put yhe info on your post

Old 11-22-2009, 09:51 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NKGMAN
Kit from what guy????? you didnt even put yhe info on your post

Rich Phillips. It was all over this section a couple months ago.

Here's a link:

http://stores.ebay.com/Rich-Phillips...34Q2ec0Q2em322

But if you're handy with tools you can make your own kit for alot less cheese.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:09 AM
GrahamOak
1st Gear

I have en 04 custom, i bought a spring seat installation kit from J&P Cycles, but had to do some modification to one of the brackets, but the seat works great. West eagle plate for the seat. amazing.