Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie question: what is too much engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 03:46 AM
rrlavigne
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newbie question: what is too much engine?

As many have said ... there's no such thing as too much engine ... only too little. Weight is an issue but what's more important is WHERE the weight is. If the weight is LOW in the frame it dosen't matter how heavy a bike is. Unfortunately for me I'm still looking to buy my 1st Harley and currently ride a metric. A Honda (yeah i know ... don't throw stones at me) VTX1800R. The bike is 1800CCs, fuel injected ... more power then I'll ever need which is real nice, but it's huge, it's over 800 lbs. But once I'm rolling I don't feel the weight, I only feel the weight taking it off the side stand. And I'm 5'8", 200 lbs., I'm not a huge guy. And although I'll never NEED the power it has it's sure nice to have. Imagine that kind of power in a 550 lb. Sportster?? Wow!

I'd say either get the 1200 or get the 883 with the realization you'll probably be getting the 883/1200 conversion done in the future. From what I understand from this and other forums getting an 883 THEN having it converted to a 1200 has some advantages over getting a stock 1200 plus it's cheaper.

I'm considering a Sportster Custom because I want a bike that's smaller then my current ride, I love the way they look/feel and I want my 1st Harley. I'm thinking of getting the 883 Sportster Custom to save money and having the conversion done over the winter ... using BUEL high performance parts which I'm told would give it better performance then a stock 1200. It won't have the power I have now BUT power to weight ratio should be VERY respectable!!!

So that's something to consider ... get an 883 until you have experience then have it converted to a 1200. Seems to me you can have your cake and eat it too!

Old 07-11-2006, 03:52 AM
ionate
Road Captain

If I was you and if you can afford it, I would get the 1200. To be more specific, (and this is my personal opinion) I would get the 1200 Custom. Awesome bike. That's what I was hoping for but because of budget reasons and finding a good deal on the '04 883, I'll have to wait and upgrade at a later date.

I don't believe the saying that the 883 is more of a "beginner's bike". With either, if you're a beginner you'll want to start out slow and in the neighborhood or parking lot. You can do that with either bike.

If you want the top end speed and plenty of room after that in case you need it, get the 1200 right away. Otherwise, you're stuck with a bike that you'll most likely want to trade in or sell in the long run anyway.

Yeah, get the 1200C right away!

I didn't, but wish I would have.

Still love my Sporty! (Another reason for picking up my 883 - it was better than having a 0cc

Old 07-11-2006, 09:29 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I can go as slow on my 1200 as you can on your 883. Because the hole in the cylinders is larger on my bike, it ends up being 5 lbs lighter which does seem od.

You can have your 883 upgraded to a 1200 but when you sell it you will take a larger loss because it is still an 883. The 883 doesn't have nearly the "bling-bling" that the 1200 has. (in case you're into chrome like alot of us are)

Old 07-11-2006, 10:13 AM
CBJCH
Cruiser

I wondered the same things when I bought my 1200 custom. I have had the bike for 3 months and would like something even larger!!
(Road King or a Fatboy) Don't worry sporty guys it would be an additional bike not a replacement!! My Sporty is here until The Day I die!!
What a fun ride it is!!
Based on my limited experience I think you would regret going smaller

Old 07-11-2006, 02:48 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I've owned Big Twins for a long time, and still own a Dyna WideGlide.

Never owned a Sportster before, but since I got my 2005 1200C a couple of months ago I doubt if I've put more than a hundred miles on the FXDWG.

I get a kick when I hear people call a 1200 Sportster "a beginners bike"...

I don't allow many to ride any of my bikes, but if I did I'd feel much more comfortable having an unexperienced rider hop on my FXDWG instead of the 1200C.

The 1200C is a "Hot Rod" compared to the average WideGlide.

Old 07-11-2006, 03:37 PM
TAZ61
Advanced

Tell me XL, when you did your upgrade to 1200, was there a deffinate difference. Faster or slower than a 1200 stock?

Old 07-11-2006, 06:17 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

One thing you need to realize is that the difference between the 04+ 883 and 1200 engines is more than just the additional displacement.

Rods, pistons, heads, etc., are also different.

Here is a little more information;

"Knowing that they were opening up the higher end of the powerband, Harley engineers spent a good deal of time reworking the motor to suit. Bore and stroke dimensions remain unchanged for both the 883 and the 1200 versions, but lighter pistons and rods help the 1200 rev to 6,000 rpm. For added grunt, the larger mill also receives the high-flow cylinder heads from the Buell XB line and hot cams from the 1200 Sport."

Old 07-11-2006, 07:58 PM
cosmicHD
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great information here. A lot of things to consider that I had not before. Thank you for taking the time to write to me about these issues. This forum has been a great resource.

I'll have to consider everything as it comes along.

Money is not, per se, a factor. I could afford a payment for a 1200 or for an 883. A 883 WOULD be kinder on my wallet though, so that is a consideration.

It is my first bike, so I want to do it right.

It is good to consider both weigh about the same. The weight is the one thing that intimidates me. I am so afraid of laying it down while coming to a stop etc. Hopefully that will not be an issue and it is more in my head. I know whenever I do buy a bike, I will drive it home that day. That is just how I am. But I have way I can get to and from my HD dealer by taking all neighborhood roads that top out at 35mph. And I will prbably hit a local school on the way -- a mile from the dealer , and drive the lot for an hour or so before riding all the way home.

I just need to consider what is the smart move for me here. A 1200 or an 883? I guess the engine size is not a factor anymore -- now it is down to $. And it is interesting to note the amopunt of chrome etc already on the 1200 so that is a factor. I am sure I'd get the 883 and start modding it a lot quicker than a 1200.

The only thing I know I want to do right off the bat -- is get a new seat. I have read the stock seat is less than desireable. I have looked into the rallrunner and the sundowner seats. Then I'd like a low sissy bar. And after the engine break in -- put on some Vance and Hines pipes.

If I decided to finance for 5 or more years, I migth just have to go with the 1200. if I do a 3 year finance, I might go with the 883.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.....

In the meantime, I need to take the MSF course real soon.

Old 07-11-2006, 08:15 PM
hep0950
Tourer

I'm a new rider and went through the MSF course. I had others at work who rode Harleys suggest I get the 1200 instead of the 883 because I would want to go bigger, so I looked at both and liked the 1200 Custom and bought it mainly because of looks and the forward controls, as I have leg problems. I'm 5'8" and 215lbs with a 29" inseam. Although the Sportster is supposed to be more top heavy, it really isn't that hard to balance it and handles very well. The bigger bikes would be nice, and I may get one some day, but now they are a little out of my price range.

One other point, the 1200 is the fastest stock Harley they have except maybe for the Vrod. Don't worry about the power, you can handle it. It doesn't take of on you unless that is what you want it to do. Just my thoughts on it.

Old 07-11-2006, 08:16 PM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have been hearing of this MSF course often... I don't know what it is exactly, but have an idea.

In my opinion however they are giving this course to the wrong people. They need to make it manditory for all regular drivers (everything with more than two wheels). For the most part they are the idiots that run over us, pull out in front of us and try to change lanes on top of us.

I don't know... think it might make people a little more aware?

Charlie D.

Quick Reply: Newbie question: what is too much engine?