Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster is unacceptable for taller riders!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009 | 04:55 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member

[QUOTE=pococj;5783453]6'1", 240 here. Put some forward controls, or highway bars on the li'l beastie.

QUOTE]

Skip, 240? For some reason I always thought you were a skinny guy? Doesn't it bottom out on you? I weigh 185 and I hit bottom just going over railway tracks...... but, I do admit to being a little hard on the throttle....

Old 10-29-2009 | 05:18 PM
SauerKraut
Road Captain

Yeah, maybe you should check on a higher seat. I think the seat on a Roadster sits a little higher and maybe froward controls. Apes are always another option or if you don,t like apes. A one inch beach style bar looks kinda cool and it'll stretch out your arms a bit.

Old 10-29-2009 | 11:10 PM
capitalist_slave
Road Warrior
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by damager
Ive been lurking around these forums for about a year now and I want to add my review on the nightster. Ive been riding dirtbikes since I was 11 and I bought a 2009 nightster when I left the army because I had so much money saved up . First off I did not have my license so I could not test drive it. Second I am 5'11. for a rider as tall as me anything over 50 mph is uncomfortable on this bike. the wind drag is horrible. At highway speeds the slightest bump almost throws me off of this bike. I have learned my lessen now. I am to big for this machine. It is a nice machine but im way to big for it at 5'11 180 pounds. This is my first harley and I love the torque and quality of these bikes and I want another harley. Im looking for comfort at 80mph and a nice city bike also. Im thinking maybe a street bob. If anyone has a street bob let me know how that rides at highway speeds.
Just to beat the point to death here...

I'm 6'1" with 36"inseam and long arms, my Nightster fits me fine w/ Forward Controls, and since you mentioned the Street Bob... that's what my Dad rides(without Forwards) and i'm more comfortable on my N... Do yourself a favor, like everyone here has said and try forwards... they make ALL the difference.
Hopefully you can sit on OR test drive an XL with forwards installed and see how you like them.
Another thing you may want to look into is different handlebars.
It seems like i am the ONLY person i know that actually likes the stock ones.
I've ridden my Dad's Street Bob with the factory mini-apes and didn't like them. Didn't feel as 'in control' of the bike for some reason. You may want to get some handlebars that keep your upper body in a position that is more comfortable for you.
I know with Mini-Apes i ride slightly leaned back - which i don't like.
With 'drag bars' - i'd be leaned over too much.
The stock bars have me leaned over just slightly - where i feel comfortable.

Let us know what you end up doing to get your bike to fit you.

Originally Posted by brettnbama
Dude, if you feel uncomfortable, especially if its to the point that you feel safe, get a bigger bike if you think that will help. I have seen bigger guys on a Sporty, I am 6' and 210 lbs and ocassionally ride the wife's Iron. While it is a fun bike, I HATE putting it on the highway. I not only am more comfortable on the Road King, but I feel a whole lot safer. By telling you this in here, I am sure there will be some sideways comments directed at me, but the bottom line is, you do what is right for you.
^ Good point.

He makes a good point, if you can, test drive the Street Bob or another Dyna... see how it feels.
If you feel safer and more comfortable on a Dyna or Softy, then ya gotta go with what's best for you...

... just don't rule out the Sporty till you've explored your options.

Last edited by capitalist_slave; 10-29-2009 at 11:16 PM. Reason: *
Old 10-30-2009 | 06:46 AM
Blackcherry Low
Tourer

Ive been lurking around these forums for about a year now and I want to add my review on the nightster. Ive been riding dirtbikes since I was 11 and I bought a 2009 nightster when I left the army because I had so much money saved up . First off I did not have my license so I could not test drive it. Second I am 5'11. for a rider as tall as me anything over 50 mph is uncomfortable on this bike. the wind drag is horrible. At highway speeds the slightest bump almost throws me off of this bike. I have learned my lessen now. I am to big for this machine. It is a nice machine but im way to big for it at 5'11 180 pounds. This is my first harley and I love the torque and quality of these bikes and I want another harley. Im looking for comfort at 80mph and a nice city bike also. Im thinking maybe a street bob. If anyone has a street bob let me know how that rides at highway speeds.
Yeah my bike is bone stock right now and I wanted to put on all my performance mods first like exhaust etc but it looks like I need forward controls instead of financing for a new bike. does anyone know where I can get forwards cheaper than harleys $400 set?
Wow!! That was easy?!

I've got the 1200 Low and it's basically stock as far as the seat, bars and suspension. It did come with the forwards on it from the dealer. It does bottom out the front fairly easy and the back takes a little more to bottom but I'm running the shocks on the lowest setting. Going give them a twist this winter and see how it is next season. I put the heavier Screamin' Eagle fork oil in and that helped a little with the bottoming but I think I'll add a 3/4" spacer to them also this winter.

Old 10-30-2009 | 11:42 AM
Dragan
Tourer

+1 to what everyone else has said about you being too big for this bike. You're on the lower end of average size wise, I think. There are a LOT of much bigger guys riding the same bike very comfortably. Performance stuff is great, but deal with the rideability problems first. If you're uncomfortable with the stock drivetrain, you're still going to be uncomfortable after you've boosted the performance, you're just gonna get to "miserable" faster. Make the ride fit you first, forwards, maybe different seat and bars, maybe a windshield, who knows. THEN worry about adding horsepower.

There are tons of high horsepower garage queens out there; they go like stink, but if you can't ride them comfortably, you'd get places way faster on a Vespa than on a 130 hp monster that you need a chiropractor after 10 miles of riding

Old 10-30-2009 | 01:44 PM
Meattruck138
Novice

At 5"11 and 185 pounds, my bike is stable even with 16 inch apes. I noticed a lot with new riders they dont squeeze in there legs, stabilizes the ride a lot. Superbrace doesnt hurt either.

Old 10-30-2009 | 02:14 PM
Adam_T
Cruiser

6'' 176 pounds here...my Iron (same size as nightster) is as comfy as ever!

Old 10-30-2009 | 05:41 PM
damager
|
Banned

+1 on new handlebars. now that you mention it I realize I am really hugging the stock bars.