Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2-up Riding and back tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006 | 02:15 PM
ionate
|
Road Captain
Default 2-up Riding and back tire pressure

Hey guys. I've seen a few posts about tire pressure, but I wanted to start a new thread bc I have a specific question about tire pressure when riding 2-up.

I rode 2-up for the first time last night on my '04 Sporty 883. Power didn't seem to be an issue (although I could tell is wasn't quite as quick), but the back tire pressure does!

The manual says that when carrying a back passenger to inflate the back tire to 40lbs.

I had about 38 in the back last night since I wasn't going far and couldn't get to my air compressor. Plus, I just wanted to cruise around the block to get use to the 2nd rider.

I weigh approx 190 and my wife weighs approx 150 right now (she would kill me if she saw this post!!!).

However, one thing that I noticed which REALLY concerns me is that when riding over uneven pavement, I was either feeling the shocks bottoming out (please tell me that's the case) or the pavement actually hitting the rim, as if my tire pressure was too low. I turned around to check the tire pressure to make sure that I didn't have a flat tire bc of the feeling when going over uneven pavement, and it didn't feel like it would be good for my rims if that was the case.

If it's not the shocks, do I simply add more than 40lbs to the back tire and if so, what's the max? Do I need a bigger bike for our combination of weight? Can the shocks be adjusted? Did I screw up anything riding with only 38lbs and such heavy weight??

Any advice would be appreciated as I loved riding 2-up with my wife and plan on doing a lot more of it (although the majority of my riding will be to work every day).

Old 07-06-2006 | 02:22 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Default RE: 2-up Riding and back tire pressure

If you haven't adjusted your shocks for 2-up then you need to. The tire pressure makes the ride a little smoother but if the shocks are adjusted for just one person, you'll bottom out all the time. I had mine adjusted while I was getting the 5000 mile service and it made a world of difference. It's a tighter ride by yourself though.

Old 07-06-2006 | 02:25 PM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member

My reco would be to adjust your shocks for the stiffest compression and don't go over the 40 lbs. in the rear tire. I believe the "bottoming out" you were feeling may have been the shocks bottoming out - not the tire against the rim. I have ridden two-up many times, and too many times, I did not readjust my shocks to compensate for the second person, so I think I know what you are talking about. You should have no trouble riding two-up as long as everything is adjusted for it.

Let us know how you make out!

Thumper26

Old 07-06-2006 | 02:39 PM
CoolRide
Cruiser

I suspect you were just bottoming your shocks. I just bought a 05 1200C and my wife and I together wheigh 400 lbs and we bottom all the time.

Mine are adjustable so I imagine yours are too, I just havent done it yet, in fact I think your 883 has 3 positions to stiffin it up, and I think my 1200 has five if I remember.

If your rim was hittin the ground you would have been ALL KINDS of squirly.

My dealership is a 100 miles away and I am not completely sure how to adjust them which is why I havent done it yet but it has got to be pretty simple.

Maybe someone else who has done could help us both out. I just wanted to let you know that it probably was NOT your tire especially if it had 38 in it. I would NOT put over the recomened pressure in it!

CR

Old 07-06-2006 | 03:20 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

Yeah, I think all of the Custom models (both 883 and 1200) have 5 preload settings, while the other models have 3.

Adjustment is very simple if you have the correct spanner wrench. You just turn the adjusting cam to the desired position (clockwise to increase, counter clockwise to decrease preload).

Harley even makes their own spanner wrench for this if you want to invest a few dollars. The part number is HD-94820-75A.

Old 07-06-2006 | 04:49 PM
CoolRide
Cruiser

Thank you OFG! Im off to ebay to find the right spanner.

CR

Old 07-06-2006 | 05:22 PM
CBJCH
Cruiser

If understood correctly clockwise will stifin up the springs and aid in the extra weight with 2 up riding?
I have my bike at work today and just adjusted up one setting ( Being a toolmaker a had a spanner wrench in the box) I 'll try that small adjustment first and see what happens.
My wife's backside is still sore from bottoming out last weekend.

Old 07-06-2006 | 07:18 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member

Yeah, two pounds light in air would no where near cause your rear tire to collapse to the rim. Not that it's good for your tire. It's not. IMO it's better to be one or two pounds over in air pressue than one or two pounds under in air pressure.

Old 07-06-2006 | 11:08 PM
davidc
Road Master

My wife and I have been riding 2-up on my 883C and we weight 300 lbs combined I can't put my wife's weight out of fear of being killed in my sleep. I bought the shock spanner wrench and turned the shock to position 5 and we have not bottomed out yet. If you did not ajust the shocks it is shocks bottoming out and not a air pressure issue.

Old 07-07-2006 | 03:04 PM
TAZ61
Advanced

I FOUND A LARGE SLIP-JOJNT PLIERS WORKS TO ADJUST THE SHOCKS.

Quick Reply: 2-up Riding and back tire pressure