Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need new tires soon

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 05:41 AM
SpoilSport
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You do not necessarily have to change both at the same time ... normally the rear will wear faster than the front. If you follow safety guidelines/tread depth the rear will need be changed before the front.

However, due to the age of a tire it will develop dry rot ... I would check for small dry rot cracks on the sidewall of the front as well. There may still be some tread life left ... but the dry rot will weaken the tire ... which could lead to a blowout.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:05 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by ripto
Yeah no I'm not debating getting new ones or not, I just want to know if I should be replacing both at the same time. I did say 18k miles and original tires in my first post.
Sorry, I missed that. Generally speaking, it is not necessary to replace both at the same time. With a 19" front wheel, it is common to go through 2 rear tires for every 1 front tire. If you have a 21" front wheel and run the twisties, you may wear out the front tire well before the rear.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:28 AM
oldncrzy
Road Master

Tires are such a gamble. If you like the ones you have, simply replace them with the same thing. If you don't mind trying something new, do it. The gamble is if you don't like them then you are screwed. No test rides as far as I know. My local Indie is really good. He will not replace anything unless it has to be. He replaced front tire (not worn completely but showing dry rot cracks. He said back ok (original tires) I would get a summer out of it. I did and replaced it this spring. Metzler. I gambled and Love them. Grabby! love the feel of them in the turns especially. I can't remember the total cost but very reasonable and he did the work. Chopper Rod's in Fredericton NB, Canada

Old 11-03-2009, 07:25 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Many of the local shops will want to rape you on mounting the tires. The first time I needed tires, I ordered them online first, and then started checking for someone to mount them. Most of them wanted to make the same profit as they would make if they had sold me the tires.

Check around and find someone that will mount and balance the tires for a reasonable price first. I finally found a guy that mounts and balances tires for me that charges $15 per tire. That is with me removing the wheel and taking the wheel and new tire to him.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:42 AM
ripto
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you guys say you only had the indy mount and balance, is that including mounting the new tire on your rim or just throwing the tire on the bike? I don't have the equipment to swap tires on rims, so I'd have to have a shop do it all. Theres a few dealers and a few indys around me I can call to see what they'll do

Old 11-03-2009, 07:58 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

In my case, I'm talking about the guy mounts the tire on the rim and balances. I remove the wheel from the bike, and re-install the wheel.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:29 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SportyPig
In my case, I'm talking about the guy mounts the tire on the rim and balances. I remove the wheel from the bike, and re-install the wheel.
What Sporty said, but my Indy said he's going to have to increase his cost next time to something like $20-25 a tire.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:11 PM
oldncrzy
Road Master
Cool

Originally Posted by ripto
When you guys say you only had the indy mount and balance, is that including mounting the new tire on your rim or just throwing the tire on the bike? I don't have the equipment to swap tires on rims, so I'd have to have a shop do it all. Theres a few dealers and a few indys around me I can call to see what they'll do
The guy I go to will accomodate either. Up to the individual. Take the bike or the wheels. He is busy so he doesn't mind them off the bike. He charges by the hour so up to the individual.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:19 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

ok fellas, please don't kill me for stealing the thread. but it is a related question.... which stock size tires have the best grip? I don't care if they are pricey or don't last too long.. I just want the best grip money can offer... thanks and ride safe!!!

Old 11-04-2009, 11:01 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by joebotics
ok fellas, please don't kill me for stealing the thread. but it is a related question.... which stock size tires have the best grip? I don't care if they are pricey or don't last too long.. I just want the best grip money can offer... thanks and ride safe!!!
Well, I'm not sure why you need the grip seeing that you live in Miami. Not having many twisties, I would think you'd want to stick with the Dunlops to achieve the longer milage/tire life. Anyway, the stickier the compound, the better the grip. I've had a couple sets of Dunlops, Metz 880's & just threw on Avon Venoms this past spring.....For grip, either the Metz or Avon's will do just fine.

Quick Reply: Need new tires soon