Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife gets another bike...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 04:59 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Wife gets another bike...

Looks like the wife will be bringing home a Suzuki Boulevard S50 tomorrow.

Here's the backstory: I got my bike. Then she got hers. We were happy with our "his and her" Sporties. She was new to riding solo, took the MSF class, and was making good progress riding in the neighborhood. Then she dropped her bike and lost confidence. That was in NC. Now we are in Monterey, CA. For those who don't know - uber tiwsties, hills, non-drivers, mean spirited people, etc.... all the bike enemies and riding challenges rolled into one (except mabe rain). Kinda like drinking from the fire hose of bad stuff you face riding on two wheels. Anyway, she still really wants to ride but is really concerned about dumping the Sporty again or worse, injuring herself.

We talked about the Voyager conversion. Its an option but to learn to ride that way would do little for her 2 wheel confidence. For about the same money we opted for a second bike. Imports were the obvious choice. We looked at several entry/beginner bikes and eventually she sat on and got good vibes from the Boulevard. Its close to 200 pounds lighter, has a lower center of gravity, and while still having good power, is only half the CC's compared to her Sporty. Most important was it felt good to her.

Once she's comfy and confident riding the ~uki, we'll start to transition her back to her Sporty. Once the Suzuki is no longer needed, we'll sell it or use it to pad trade value for another Harley. That last part is what I refer to as the silver lining.

This seemed to be the most logical and safe way to get her riding again. We talked at length and this is trully her desire. I'm not pushing her to ride at all. Anyone else have similar stories or experiences?

Old 07-06-2006, 07:35 AM
DJJSR
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wife gets another bike...

Whatever she feels comfortable with is probably the right way to go. My wife blew a front tire about 2 weeks ago (hit a pretty big rock). She didn't drop the bike but it shook her up a bit. She's been riding a couple of times since and her confidence is slow in coming back. I figure it's better to let her go at her own pace than to push her and have her nervous.
By the way, don't count on her getting rid of that S50. I've got an S83 that I ride as much as my Sportster. I just can't bring myself to sell it.

Old 07-06-2006, 09:24 AM
outdoorgirl57
Road Master

That is a good little starter bike for a woman. I just sold my Intruder 800 when I got the Sporty 1200. The biggest problem with the Intruder/Boulevard is that small gas tank. Here in NM where you can go hours without seeing a gas station, that tank didn't cut it. Also, vibration is pretty bad after 65 MPH. But for a starter bike...if she's not going to ride any major distance, you can't beat the 800. It is a very easy bike to ride. Get her the Suzuki gel seat. It is wonderful! Also, getting rid of those Bridgestone tires and getting some Avon Venom X's on it makes ALL the difference in the world on how the bike will handle.

She has to realize that we all drop bikes. I've been riding 4 1/2 years and have had 2 gravel drops and 1 mud drop. Nothing to be embarrassed about!

Old 07-06-2006, 10:32 AM
brendajmull
Cruiser

Boy, do Iknow how your wife feels, I started on the sporty,, too much bike,,dropped it 3 times,, got really scared to get on it,, so I got a honda rebel, bought it for 900$,, it was a great learning bike,, I gained lots of confidence on it, took the course and passed,then slowly started to transition to the sportster,, I too looked at many metric bikes,, I really liked the vstar,, also the kawasaki volcan,, but I decided to keep riding the sporty after getting alot of support here,,now I am riding the sportster fine.. I decided to keep it and do some upgrades. I sold the rebel for 900, so no money lost and used the money for pipes, tank, windshield etc,, n ow I love the sportster. I am sure getting her the smaller bike will do alot for her confidence. Once I could ride the rebel on the road I felt I was ready to go back to the harley... good luck to her...

Old 07-06-2006, 01:58 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: bensonjv

Looks like the wife will be bringing home a Suzuki Boulevard S50 tomorrow.

Here's the backstory: I got my bike. Then she got hers. We were happy with our "his and her" Sporties. She was new to riding solo, took the MSF class, and was making good progress riding in the neighborhood. Then she dropped her bike and lost confidence. That was in NC. Now we are in Monterey, CA. For those who don't know - uber tiwsties, hills, non-drivers, mean spirited people, etc.... all the bike enemies and riding challenges rolled into one (except mabe rain). Kinda like drinking from the fire hose of bad stuff you face riding on two wheels. Anyway, she still really wants to ride but is really concerned about dumping the Sporty again or worse, injuring herself.

We talked about the Voyager conversion. Its an option but to learn to ride that way would do little for her 2 wheel confidence. For about the same money we opted for a second bike. Imports were the obvious choice. We looked at several entry/beginner bikes and eventually she sat on and got good vibes from the Boulevard. Its close to 200 pounds lighter, has a lower center of gravity, and while still having good power, is only half the CC's compared to her Sporty. Most important was it felt good to her.

Once she's comfy and confident riding the ~uki, we'll start to transition her back to her Sporty. Once the Suzuki is no longer needed, we'll sell it or use it to pad trade value for another Harley. That last part is what I refer to as the silver lining.

This seemed to be the most logical and safe way to get her riding again. We talked at length and this is trully her desire. I'm not pushing her to ride at all. Anyone else have similar stories or experiences?
My wife's not comfortable with the sporty either after dropping it a few times. When we have the money to get her a bike, we'll be looking at the Dyna Low Rider for her. She likes it and feels comfortable being able to handle the balance. I think that's a great thing you and your wife worked out.

Old 07-06-2006, 07:21 PM
XL OCD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take care of your wife. If she's not confident on the bike, then she shouldn't ride it... accident waiting to happen. I've always thought the Vulcan 800 Drifter would be a great woman's bike. It's got some love it or hate it styling, but it rides and handles great. Plus it's got a real low center of gravity and inspires quite a bit of confidence. The big fenders keep it from looking like a toy.
I've always been a big fan of the Kawi line, you won't find a better beginner bike than the Kawi Vulcan 500.
Good luck and lets see some pics once she gets it!

Old 07-07-2006, 02:32 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. Really good info. I sincerely appreciate it. Especially the similar stories. Starting out, I think we all feel like we are the only ones who are intimidated by riding. Everyone on the road seems to make it look easy and seem to be having no trouble at all. It helps to hear that others went through similar thoughts and experiences. I'll pass this along to her as well. She's here on the forums but don't think she's ever posted.

Update: We brought home the S50 last night. She followed me in the car and said I looked out of place on it. I used to think the Sporty felt small. The S50 is a very compact little bike. It a breeze to handle. I think we made the right move with this. It has enough guts to go when you need it to but not too powerful to be scarey - smooth is a good discriptor.