Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife may kill me . . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 12:59 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

128, You got it going on man! Nothing to be scared of.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,246 Likes on 738 Posts

It is her decision but if this helps, when I ordered my 12.5 Mustang seat the parts guy at the dealership told me if I didn't like it he would order the larger one for me and exchange it no problem. So far the 12.5 one has been great. I am taller and weigh a bit more than your wife and I am sure it will fit her well.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:01 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hell man, in todays world of double 1/4 lbers and baconators you and your OL should be bragging about 128lbs. I agree, let her make the call on a seat. Maybe go up to HD on a Saturday or something and see if any other Sporty riders with aftermarket seats are hanging out. I bet if a 5' 6" 128lb woman asked them to try out their seat, they would let her. You should stay inside though, if they see you "hawking" her, they may be less apt to say OK. You gotta do what you gotta do....

Old 10-27-2009, 02:35 PM
Grammaton
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JDHD06
Get the skinny one dude. If you want to live. You get the wide one she's going to think you think her *** is fat. It'll work great for her.
+1

Get the narrow one, for sure. On the other hand, the wide one will let you say no when she asks if this seat makes her butt look big.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:11 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

5'6" 128lbs sounds to me like shes built almost perfect * would have to see pics of her i na bikini to say she is built perfect and postign those without her consent WILL get you killed* let her pick the seat out liek it was said try and get her to try a couple out first as each person lieks a differnt feel and what feels good t osit on to you may not to her, its liek a matteress i liek a hard king size matteress but my OL prefers a soft double so its best to let your woman pick her own seat out cuz you know a happy tushy after a long ride means a happy hubby that night

edit to add i cannot belive i just said tushy, damn it there goes soem more "real biker" points LOL

Old 10-27-2009, 07:38 PM
2DEUCE2
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my wife an 08' 883 Low a couple of years ago (5'8", 110) and the first and only thing she complained about was her seat. I went out and bought the stock 883 XL solo seat and she loves it. The seat that comes on the lows has (or at least had, don't know what they have done now that the 883 XL isn't an option anymore) less padding for an even lower seat height. She said it felt like she was straddling a metal bar. I have never seen the Mustang seats you are mentioning, but you can find stock solo HD seats for pennies on the dollar. Might be worth a shot.

I'm lucky, my wife never goes on this site so I'm safe posting the numbers!

Last edited by 2DEUCE2; 10-27-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:26 AM
1200efi
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I think for you to get an honest answer to what seat, we would need a close up pic of your wife's butt. Until then, i have the standard Mustang, and it's great. A friend has the wide and it looks just a little goofy, still nice, but too wide on the Sporty. Ride safe.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:43 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, I guess I'm going to be the first one to spread his wife's legs (in this thread)....... OK, I guess I'll let Mowdoc see how far her legs will spread, (while flat footing the scoot)..... Check the dimensions of any seat that you're thinking about towards the front of the seat where your wife will stand while on the bike at a stop light or just standing the bike up. The width of the seat at that point where she will stand will increase or decrease her ability to flat foot the bike. The wider seat may spread her legs to far decreasing her leg length, and decrease her ability to flat foot the bike. A narrower seat, where she stands, will allow her legs to be closer together and going at a straighter angle to the ground increasing her flat footing ability.

Oh, and yes......

Last edited by WVHogRider; 10-28-2009 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:53 AM
mowdoc
Cruiser

Thanks a lot for the input, especialy from the guys/gals that have changed the seat.

2deuce2 nailed our problem exactly - the stock seat has about 1/2 inch foam and the base plate can be felt. Worse than that, all the vibration comes right into the hip joint. My Mustang seat on the Road King has very firm padding and I think the Mustang seat for the Sportster would be similar. I have sent an email to Mustang with that very question.

Rider1200 and 1200efi said just what I thought about the wider seat - thanks guys.

My wife is not big by any strech of the imagination but you know how women are about their weight. She has plenty of leg for this bike too but since she is a beginner rider she wants to get solid footing when stopped. I think the Mustang seat will be higher but she has enough experience now to handle another inch (seat height dammit, get your mind out the gutter).

I tryed to post a pic but can't get it small enough, I'll see if I can figure that out later. Time for worky now so I can support our two wheeled habit!!!

Thanks Again for all the response - wifey liked reading this too.

mowdoc

Old 10-28-2009, 08:25 AM
mowdoc
Cruiser

OK, it's not very large but here is a pic of Wifey and her new ride.

Attached Thumbnails Wife may kill me . . . . .-1st-day1small.jpg  

Quick Reply: Wife may kill me . . . . .