Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter "touring" or multiple day trips.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 12:05 PM
OldSport883
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter "touring" or multiple day trips.

Forgive me if I've overlooked previously posted info about this.

I have been riding for years, but never have done any touring. I'm still not interested in long trips, but am looking forward to some 4 to 5 day trips this winter.

I've been well advised with the clothing issue thanks to people here.

I wondering about Winter road conditions. My questions, unfortunately can be best asked with details of my personal situation. Sorry, and hope it's general to other folks too.

I live in southern Oregon. We have a mostly moderate climate. I'm a couple of hours from the coast and in the winter there is lots of rain there. Not fond of rain.
I've long been interested in eastern Oregon, a land of sage brush, and higher elevations, but with lots of flat country. First I have to ride over some passes to get there and will have to pick a break where there is no snow storms and only packed snow. I think I can handle that. (But, never ridden in packed snow).
In eastern Oregon, the temps often are low enough to cause ice on the roads in the mornings, but clear a bit later.
So, do folks who ride in this, sleep in and ride only during the middle of the day? And do folks who do this change tires in the winter?
Has anyone found a solution for fogged up face shields? I have a HCF (HFC?) full face. I bought a "nose goody" that is meant to keep the shield clear: Does not work. (I've positioned it many ways).
I realize these are general questions. If you understand my intent here, I hope you will consider posting any information you feel I need.
Cause I'm sure as hell gonna do it!

PS: One reason: Here in western Oregon, we have lots of beautiful trees, etc. Problem being, I don't like to take my eyes from the road long enough to take in the view.
The couple of times I've been car riding in the high desert, I've notice one can appreciate the view in a totally different way...it's broad, wide open, and one can see SO much without turning the head too far to the side.
I want to try that experience on a bike.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:24 AM
oldncrzy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in the land of ice and snow. The temp at noon today is 37 degrees farenheit. we call this "Fall". You can probably get enough gear to dress warmly, but the big issue is the road surface. We get what we call "black ice", ie skim of ice on road surface that looks like asphalt but is very slick and dangerous. Salt/sand trucks cover this or it melts on its own. However, winter (32 deg. or less) ice can stay all day, with lots of salt to make try to make it melt. Not many brave enough to drive here after November 1 unless very unseasonably mild. Packed snow can be very icy. Not trying to discourage, only inform. Be safe.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:00 PM
badbs101
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in MN and have all my life. I would NOT ride anywhere there would be ice or even packed snow which can disguise ice. There a few days in the middle of the winter here in the urban areas where it would be possible to ride as the roads are completely clear except for a coating of road salt but I never do as my bike is usually packed away for the season. Unless you have studs in your tires, and even then it's nuts, I would stay away from snow pack or ice on the roads.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:46 AM
mowdoc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I grew up in the mid-west and spent many hours driving in snow and ice . . . in cars and trucks.

The only experience I have on two wheels was pulling sleds for people with a dirt bike. The bike had those large knobby tires and it was down more than moving!! I was young and crazy then and rode slow but when the bike wants to go down on snow, you ain't gonna stop it. I can not imagine riding a large road bike on snow but I'm sure people try it.

Good Luck
mowdoc