Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster Front End Vibration!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 06:54 PM
TexasBikeBoy
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ok, I am gonna take your advice and change the front wheel before anything else. One more question. Been looking for a front wheel but not sure exactly what will work and what will not work. I was thinking about changing to cast wheel instead of the spokes when I change it. Will any 19" sportster front wheel work on my nightster? If not what do I need to look for to make sure I get one that does?

Old 10-28-2009, 07:01 PM
TexasBikeBoy
Cruiser

For instance I like this wheel, not to expensive and looks nice, but will it work on my bike?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARLE...Q5fAccessories

or this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARLE...mZ350271043180

And I know I should probably buy brand new wheel but money is tight right now need to find something I can afford. They want like 400-500 for a new nightster original rim. Not in my budget at the moment.

by the way I appreciate all the help from everyone.

Last edited by TexasBikeBoy; 10-28-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:29 AM
WRAITH
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is Your rear wheel laced (spokes)? If it is, you may have loose spokes. It will twist the rotor and make it sound like its warped. Take it to some one that knows how to true a rim.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:02 PM
TexasBikeBoy
Cruiser

ok so I got a new front wheel and put it on few days ago. Also noticed my front wheel was slightly pointed to the right so when I put the new wheel on, I loosened the pinch bolts on my trees and got everything straight as possible. Feels a lot better but still got a good amount of vibration when accelerating. All the vibration in the front end is gone now and the front feels much safer. However whenever I get on the gas I get a lot of vibration. Was trying to pin point where it is coming from this evening. I do feel it in the front but to me it really feels like it is coming from the rear or under me at least. I think the vibration begins in the rear but I am feeling it in the front end. If I pull the clutch everything rolls smooth as can be. Yes they are spoked wheels so perhaps they need to be trued. I have several parts on the way, forward controls, front and rear whitewalls, and a set of new nash handlebars so when I pull the rear wheel off I may take it and see if I can get someone to true it. Any other ideas?

Old 11-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Grammaton
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasBikeBoy
Feels a lot better but still got a good amount of vibration when accelerating. All the vibration in the front end is gone now and the front feels much safer. However whenever I get on the gas I get a lot of vibration. Was trying to pin point where it is coming from this evening. I do feel it in the front but to me it really feels like it is coming from the rear or under me at least. I think the vibration begins in the rear but I am feeling it in the front end. If I pull the clutch everything rolls smooth as can be.
If the vibration goes away when you grab the clutch, then you're feeling the engine.
It's supposed to be like that.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:07 AM
TexasBikeBoy
Cruiser

I know a harley is suppossed to vibrate but this is a bit more than vibration. Maybe it is just me but it feels more like a shimmy through the entire bike not just standard vibration. Just doesn't feel right to me, I know it is something causing more vibration than what is suppossed to be. I am leaning toward the back rotor possibly or the motor mounts. As stated before if I roll the bike with engine off the rotor makes a sound at one particular spot so I believe it is slightly warped. Anyway I'm sure I will narrow it down here soon.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:37 PM
Grammaton
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasBikeBoy
I know a harley is suppossed to vibrate but this is a bit more than vibration. Maybe it is just me but it feels more like a shimmy through the entire bike not just standard vibration. Just doesn't feel right to me, I know it is something causing more vibration than what is suppossed to be. I am leaning toward the back rotor possibly or the motor mounts. As stated before if I roll the bike with engine off the rotor makes a sound at one particular spot so I believe it is slightly warped. Anyway I'm sure I will narrow it down here soon.
A shimmy will be felt in the bars, not the seat.
I don't think a slightly warped rotor can cause a shimmy. There's a thin line between a little warped and caliper wrecking bent, but neither causes a wheel to wobble. That's why we don't use rim brakes on motorcycles - rotors won't influence the wheel.
You should let a mechanic test ride it.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:16 PM
TexasBikeBoy
Cruiser

Had me a good 2 hour ride today. It isn't coming from the rear like I thought. It is shaking in the front but I know it's not the wheel because wheel is nice and straight new bearings and tire plus balanced. I am leaning towards motor mounts? Only thing I can think of. I have to take the bike to my mechanic soon to do a couple small things for me so I will have him check it out. All in all the bike is 80 percent better and I can ride it for now. After this long ride today I realized the vibration is only when I hit high rpm's in 1st to 4th gears. Once I hit 5th no vibration at all and it is a smooth nice ride. Also if I let out my clutch very slowly and go easy on the gas when changing gears it helps quite a bit. Still get vibration when I hit higher rpm if I give it a descent amount of gas though.