Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ness Big Sucker Back Plate Cracked-Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 06:27 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by xFreebirdx
Mine cracked also and Ness changed it with out any question,
starting to see a pattern here......thanks freebird.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:32 PM
crazytrain69
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When this happened to me i put this out on the forum here and a bunch of people went and checked there big suckers and if i remember correctly 5 people found cracks. make sure you check it often. if i remember it has a 1 warranty from Ness. i check mine about every 3000 mile. I like the performance i get with the big sucker but its construction is junk.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:42 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

good lookin' out crazytrain. i'll stay on top of it for sure cause if a cracked piece of metal gets in that throttle body that could be bad news. i'm surprised ness hasn't changed the material they're using.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:40 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

just got off the phone w/ ness and they're shipping one out today, WOOHOO. i mentioned that i posted this on the boards and they seemed pretty surprised when i told them at least 2 other people have had similar issues. who knows, maybe they'll take a look at the material they're using and make that backplate stronger as a result. i doubt it but wishful thinking anyways.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:12 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

so i got the new back plate on, successfully this time! ran the bike and no new download needed. ***** runs!!!! no poppin at all but i do hear it suckin air when i crack the throttle. is that normal? i know, i know....that why they call it the big sucker right? just want to make sure that's normal.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:15 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

any takers? just wondering if the sucking sound when i crack the throttle is normal?

Old 11-03-2009, 05:27 AM
crazytrain69
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bmxatv
so i got the new back plate on, successfully this time! ran the bike and no new download needed. ***** runs!!!! no poppin at all but i do hear it suckin air when i crack the throttle. is that normal? i know, i know....that why they call it the big sucker right? just want to make sure that's normal.
Sorry it took so long for you to get a reply! LOL! Been busy with sick kids and wife. I think that sound you hear is normal myself. Mine also makes a noise when you shut it down as well. When i go riding with people and they hear that when i shut the bike off are always saying what the hell was that. that's just the big sucker! i could be wrong but it sure makes the bike run great. good to hear you got the new one on with no issues and it sounds like your bike is running great. Did Ness send you a new install instruction sheet? where the torque specs the same?

Old 11-03-2009, 06:37 AM
oldncrzy
Road Master

"i did that but it's saturday and they're closed. i'll have to call back on monday"
It always happens on a saturday or long weekend when nothing is open! One time I suddenly (oops) needed something and had 1/2 hr to get to the store before it closed...Friday...25 minute drive across town, more in 5 o'clock traffic...but I made it!!

Last edited by oldncrzy; 11-03-2009 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:03 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That sound is normal. It's just the sucking in of more air. Mine does it too.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:15 AM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

mine cracked a while back, too. I replaced it with the SE plate, and it's been fine since. Mine didn't crack during installation, though.

Quick Reply: Ness Big Sucker Back Plate Cracked-Help!