Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gun law

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 07:23 PM
trailey97
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gun law

Im sure this should be in a different discussion forum, but i dont check those often enough.
Question is.... What is the law for a texas resident to carry a pistol on thier motorcycle when traveling through louisiana?
Thank you

Old 10-23-2009, 07:47 PM
ALW
6th Gear

If you have a Carry License in Texas it looks like you can carry in LA.

However, check on your own.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf

Old 10-23-2009, 07:54 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

That is a good site and is kept up to date. It gives you the CCW laws of each State, and also gives a quick reference of what States honor CCW Permits issued by other States.

I have CCW Permits through two different States, and between them I am legal to carry concealed in approximately 41 different States.

Of course if you don't have a Concealed Carry Permit none of this matters, and you would probably need to contact Louisiana and see what is permitted and legal when transporting firearms within their State.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:53 PM
Nightster Ridester
Tourer

Texas Law sucks on carryin guns.....One month is you CAN carry a gun in your car as long as it is concealed and not in arms reach while driving. Then the next month it is illegal and the next months you CAN again......a little exagerated but you get the point!!!! I say screw it and carry it. The chances of you gettin pulled over, cop searching your bike and/or person, then him finding it and writing you a citation and such after thinking about your situation......just take the chance is all I'm sayin lol

Old 10-23-2009, 09:58 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nightster Ridster
Texas Law sucks on carryin guns.....One month is you CAN carry a gun in your car as long as it is concealed and not in arms reach while driving. Then the next month it is illegal and the next months you CAN again......a little exagerated but you get the point!!!!

Or just go and get a CCW Permit and forget about it.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:12 PM
Nightster Ridester
Tourer

Whats a CCW? I know a Concealed Handgun Lic. is almost not worth it here in Texas. I took the class and believe it or not if you have a CHL and you get caught with it not completely concealed or fail to mention you have a CHL to a cop WITHOUT him asking and he finds out, the punishment for both is harsher then if you dont have a CHL in both situtations soooo it kinda blows, but thats my opinion

Old 10-23-2009, 10:27 PM
brosnibean
Intermediate

Originally Posted by trailey97
Im sure this should be in a different discussion forum, but i dont check those often enough.
Question is.... What is the law for a texas resident to carry a pistol on thier motorcycle when traveling through louisiana?
Thank you
not sure about open carry laws in either state, but here is a handy-dandy map that makes it pretty easy to understand what states have reciprocity for concealed carry

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...city_maps.html

Old 10-23-2009, 10:51 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nightster Ridster
Whats a CCW? I know a Concealed Handgun Lic. is almost not worth it here in Texas. I took the class and believe it or not if you have a CHL and you get caught with it not completely concealed or fail to mention you have a CHL to a cop WITHOUT him asking and he finds out, the punishment for both is harsher then if you dont have a CHL in both situtations soooo it kinda blows, but thats my opinion

A CCW Permit is the same as the CHL Permit in Texas (just named differently).

I've been stopped many times, in various States by LEO's, and the first thing I do is to tell the officer that I am carrying a concealed handgun and that I do have a valid permit. The last thing I want is for someone to see that I have a concealed gun and get the wrong idea, or do something stupid.

Even so, I wasn't aware that you were required to tell an officer you have a concealed weapon unless they ask. In fact G-S 411.202 of the Texas Concealed Handgun Laws states that it is an offense if you refused to show the permit if asked, but states nothing about a person being required to release that information if not asked.

And back in 2007 I thought Texas 'cleaned up it's laws' dealing with transporting firearms in a vehicle. Below is the information that was sent to me, and I hadn't heard that it has changed since 2007;

------------------------------------------------------------

"Texas' new carry law: What does it mean?

UPDATE (May 30, 2007): New legislation clarified this law to make clear who can carry a gun in their car.

So can law-abiding Texans carry a loaded firearm in their personal vehicles now, or not?

With the passage of HB 823 (Keel/Hinojosa) into law September 1, legislators and the National Rifle Association believed they'd finally resolved a longstanding dispute that for years turned thousands of legal gun owners into law enforcement targets. Texas law lets drivers carry a weapon in their car when they're "traveling," but the definition of traveling has never been legally settled.

So the Legislature passed HB 823 creating a "presumption" that the driver is "traveling" unless one of five things is true: (a) the weapon is in plain view, (b) the defendant is a convicted felon, (c) it's a public, not a personal vehicle, (d) the defendant committed a Class B misdemeanor or worse, or (e) the defendant is a gang-banger. (Conflict alert: I testified at the hearings in both chambers in favor of the bill on behalf of ACLU of Texas.)

The new law seemed pretty straight forward. If the gun is legal, you're not a crook, you're driving your own car, and if the gun is stowed (i.e., you're not driving around with it laying on the passenger seat like an idiot), then you can carry a gun in your car when you're driving."

--------------------------------------------------

Last edited by OldFenderGuy; 10-23-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:04 PM
trailey97
Tourer

I know that in louisiana in a vehicle you can carry a pistol but it has to be in the open view for a cop to see it right off the bat. But i appreciate all the advice guys

Old 10-23-2009, 11:07 PM
brosnibean
Intermediate

Originally Posted by OldFenderGuy
A CCW Permit is the same as the CHL Permit in Texas (just named differently).

Even so, I wasn't aware that you were required to tell an officer you have a concealed weapon unless they ask.... but states nothing about a person being required to release that information if not asked.
same in virginia, a person is not required to tell the officer they are carrying unless asked...with that said, if you get pulled over and they run your license (at least here) they will see you have a permit. they usually aren't too excited to find that out if you don't tell them. i always let them know i have permit even when i am not carrying (which is once in a blue moon), makes everything go easier

Quick Reply: Gun law