Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used 08 Nightster purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 11:21 AM
gearedforacure
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used 08 Nightster purchase

Long time lurker...new user.

I have been considering purchasing a nightster for awhile now. I currently ride an 04 XB12R (RIP Buell). I have been wanting to add a cruiser to the family. I realize that the nightster will probably not be capable of much that my buell isnt (as far as distance riding goes) but I cant afford a street glide at this point and I really like the look and feel of the nightster (with forward controls, anyone who doesnt have fwds is crazy).

...so to my question(s)

I am considering purchasing a former rental bike. It is an 08 with 400+ miles on it (These didnt seem to be a popular rental anywhere I have been). My concern is that the bike was sparingly rented, and in addition, it hasnt even been rented since October 2008, so even though the dealer says it has been out on demo rides, I am concerned what this year in storage may cause down the road. Any input here? Should I worry about this, anything I should check?

I am working with my home dealer, that is now over 1100 miles away. My family has bought several bikes there and that in combination with the recent cooling trend in the weather as well as this bike being on the market for over a year should equal a good deal...but just how good of a deal can I get?

The bike has SE slip ons right now and they are asking 8700.

I want the following parts:

Heavy Breather Air Intake
HD Race Tuner
VH Short Shots
FWD Controls

I have been qouted 9100 w the above parts (installed) or 9500 shipped to my door. This is a little more than I wanted to spend, and I am trying to decide whether or not this is a fair price (I used to sell cars so I dont need a reminder that "fair" is a price that makes both the customer and the dealer happy). I am just wondering if I should be asking for a jacket or a helmet (or something else?) to be thrown in since I am "doing them a favor" by getting this bike off their floor after a year and heading into winter.

Sorry for the windy and subjective first post, but I appreciate your input and hope to be able to contribute to this forum in the near future.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:09 PM
ndfi78
Banned

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/motor...nightster.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/motor...nim-in-il.html

Look at those two links and see if they interest you.

EDIT: BTW, read all the way to the end. They have both brought the price down from the initial list.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:25 PM
Fingernip
Cruiser

I got my 08 leftover for around the same asking price with 4 miles on it. I got raped with all the dealer charges and such though in the end. If $9100 really means $9100 AFTER the mods and fees then thats a good deal for such a low mile bike.

Last edited by Fingernip; 10-22-2009 at 12:44 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-22-2009, 01:45 PM
SoapCreek
Advanced

I found my '09 Black/Silver Nightster bone stock with 112 miles on it for $8500 on Craig's list.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:52 PM
blacknblue2002
6th Gear

I'm in the same boat as the Original Poster....dealer's are offering 'somewhat' of good deals on lightly used bikes but for about $1.5K more I can have new and get better financing

and used '08's and '09's are being advertised for about 9.5K-10K $$$'s around here in Southeastern VA

Old 10-22-2009, 04:44 PM
gearedforacure
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Fingernip
I got my 08 leftover for around the same asking price with 4 miles on it. I got raped with all the dealer charges and such though in the end. If $9100 really means $9100 AFTER the mods and fees then thats a good deal for such a low mile bike.
That is the OTD price, shipped to my door. That being said, I know that taxes and registration are different for each state, so here in AL I will be responsible for 3.5% tax and a $15 title application fee.

The two used bikes that are posted are OK. Just as one of the followups say, sometimes aftermarket accessories take away from the value of the bike, unless they are exactly what someone is looking for.

The value that I can see buying from this dealer is that it will be shipped to my door by someone who has dealt with shipping before and it will come with the exact parts that I want. I dont need nor do I want a brand new bike...I see no reason to pay 1000 or 1500 extra for a bike with 400 less miles.

Old 10-23-2009, 02:01 PM
marc the shark
Advanced

I'm no pro but to give you an idea I just got my 08 Nightster with 1800 miles for $8,000 from a private seller. Came with 3 seats (stock, upgraded solo, and 2 up seat), passenger pegs, mini apes, and forward controls I had to pay about $600 on top for tax, tag, title. So $9,100 OTD on the deal you were offered sounds very reasonable to me... I think you should try to push for $9,100 OTD WITH delivery... I would think they would rather lose a couple bucks on shipping over not selling. If they don't budge meet them 1/2 on shipping for $9,250...
I'm happy with the deal I got.. That first link sounds like a great deal too!

Last edited by marc the shark; 10-23-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:56 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll sell you an 08 bone stock, ready for your goodies, for $6500. Has new tires and all fluids flushed/ replaced. I'll throw in a heated jacket liner and a pair of RK shocks.

It has scratches and dings and all the wear and tear of a happy motorcycle w/ 42k miles on it. The dealer will tell you this is a 100k mile engine. If you're buying this for a bar-hopper you'll own it for the rest of your life before reaching 100k miles.

I'm picking up my new bike tomorrow. I have nothing against the nightster for a bar-hopper, but as you can see, I ride a lot. My doctor tells me that i have a 50/50 chance of not fusing my lower back IF I get a bike with better suspension right now.

I don't care if it sells or not as I have some damned fine memories tied to this bike and I can affored to keep it.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:26 PM
pepers215
2nd Gear

I'll sell you my 2009 Nightster with forward controls, passenger pegs, Black V&H Short Shots, Blacked out turn signals, and Orange powder coated drag bars. It only has about 4500 miles on it. I'm asking $8250 for it. I live in Wisconsin by the way. Not sure where you're from. Let me know if you're interested.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:18 PM
gearedforacure
Cruiser

I am in Alabama right now...not by choice. I actually tell everyone that I live in LA (Lower Alabama). When I am in Florida, I say that I live "north of here a bit"

Both of these rides are interesting propositions. The 42k mi bike is probably outside of what I am looking for. I am going to be riding this regularly, I put 10k mi a year on my buell while I was in Nebraska, I plan on putting a lot more on down here in AL (better climate).

The 09 is nice looking, but its still going to be short about $1000 in parts that the dealer is including (not to mention labor). Plus shipping really kills the deal.

You guys are helping make up my decision though. My cousin is going to demo the bike tomorrow since its going to be in the mid 50s up there and Im going to try to get them to come down to 9100 shipped. If they do that ill jump all over it.

Quick Reply: Used 08 Nightster purchase