Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daughters Sporty dies after 30 mins of riding

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 05:48 PM
ironhorse
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daughters Sporty dies after 30 mins of riding

Daughter has a 98 1200 Sporty that suddenly stops running after 30 mins. give or take a few mins. Let it cool down for a bit and it will start but not for long. I have checked the folowing, it is getting fuel, replaced the coil, checked the V.O.E.S. replaced the ignition module and the ignition switch.
After all that it is still doing the same thing. Any suggesstions out there?
Thanks
IronHorseHerb

Old 07-03-2006, 07:37 PM
spikehyre
Road Master
Default RE: Daughters Sporty dies after 30 mins of riding

Wow, I was going to suggest the coil but I see you have done that. Is it a vacuum feed fuel line from tank to carb? Check vacuum or replace with a gravity feed petcock. Also there is a filter in the tank that you can change by draining the fuel and pulling the petcock from the tank...at least there is on the vacuum type petcock. Voltage regulator?

Old 07-03-2006, 07:51 PM
ironhorse
Road Master

Did the fuel vacume feed and it works like it should. I can't see how the voltage reg. would have anything to do with it, but I will test it tomorrow.

Old 07-03-2006, 08:48 PM
SportsterCraig
Cruiser

Just a guess but could the gas cap have been replaced before this happened and maybe be the wrong one? IE non vented? idk just a guess.

Old 07-03-2006, 09:00 PM
SportsterCraig
Cruiser

Not sure that even applies to bikes the way they are,but I have seen it on older cars where you get a suction that stops them untill you loosen the gas cap and then they run a while again.Just a thought but Im sure somebody will have the right answer

Old 07-03-2006, 10:39 PM
spikehyre
Road Master

Well I got curious and have been looking thru my manual. This is what is mentioned as possibles: Fuel filter plugged or valve plugged. You checked. Discharged battery, loose or broken batt terminal/connections. Loose wire connection at coil or battery or check the plug between the crank position sensor (CKP) and ignition control module (ICM). It also suggests either of those sensors could fail.....logic would indicate that may not be the case but the 30 min run time seems to indicate something heating up/resistence. The volt reg. I mentioned was a think out loud thing that may lead you to low voltage under load. Check conections and get a volt read of 12.6 at battery at rest. A discharge at the battery would cause it to die or run irregularly. AGain, I am thinking out loud. How old is the batt? It may be holding surface charge only? There are good sites that can help you and this forum is only one.......Hope you can find a lead before you replace too many items. Keep us posted.

Old 07-04-2006, 09:27 PM
bubbas1
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Here is my 2 cents of advice. If it was me I would have the crank postion sensor changed/checked. Everything you are describing happened to my sons Neon. ( I know cars and bikes are different..thats why this advice is only worth 2 cents) It gave us major fits trying to find the problem until we replaced the sensor. I was told (by someone alot more knowledgable than me) that they wont usually fail outright. Vehicle will run good for awhile and then die..wait for a little while and it would fire right back up. It will keep doing this until the sensor completely fails and leaves you stranded.

Old 07-07-2006, 09:22 PM
ironhorse
Road Master

Thanks everyone,
The problem was the ignition module and the friend of my daughter that took it out for a test the minute I finished the module install. He ran it out of gas and told me it was doing the same thing, so I was pissed and let it set in the garage untill today. It wouldn't start at all and I pulled a plug and plenty of spark and battery was fully charged. Took the cap off the fuel tank and walla no gas in the tank. Filler her up and the Daughter has been riding all day. Now if I can get my 06 Ultra to quit poping on decel.

Thanks everyone

Iron Horse