Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster for my wife's first bike ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 07:12 PM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Sportster for my wife's first bike ???

I ride an Ultra. Wife has been on the back for many years, now at 48 she wants to start riding. I am happy but worried. I have only ridden touring bike and stand 6'1 wt 240 so I really never rode or owned a Sportster. I am asking it this would be a good bike for her, 5' 3" wt 130. Should I look for a LOW or go with the stock ?? Also if I buy used, what would I be looking at price wise to repaint the fenders and tank ?? Thanks for your replies in advance

Be Safe JIM

Old 10-20-2009, 07:26 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My wife rides a Sportster now but began on a Buell Blast. She's a little nervous on the Sportster still and hops on the Blast and zips around everywhere.

She often says she's glad she learned on the Blast because of everything you need to learn at once (other than simply riding the bike). She gained confidence and all that with the Buell and then went to the 883.

She's 5' 7" and I had to lower the crap out of hers to get her flat footed on the ground and comfy with the foot/hand controls.

This was her experience. I'm sure there were beginner riders out there that hopped directly on a Sportster & had no problem.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:37 PM
Dango
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

She's the same size as my wife and I believe the standard sporty sits too high. I'm not sure about the low, but my wife fits nicely on the Nightster. The Iron would be another good choice given her height. I would also recommend the MSF Course. My wife took it and loved it...gave her the extra confidence she was looking for.

Paint? Don't know.

Good luck!

Old 10-20-2009, 07:43 PM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dango
She's the same size as my wife and I believe the standard sporty sits too high. I'm not sure about the low, but my wife fits nicely on the Nightster. The Iron would be another good choice given her height. I would also recommend the MSF Course. My wife took it and loved it...gave her the extra confidence she was looking for.

Paint? Don't know.

Good luck!
I would not think of letting her ride without taking the course.... nor would I ever try to teach her myself I value my marriage too much LOL LOL

Be Safe JIM

Old 10-20-2009, 09:47 PM
brinsr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reply

MSF course for sure.
What is the bike going to be used for?
Can she stand falt footed on a Dyna Low?
What feels good to her?
My wife started on a Honda 750 we picked up for 5k. It's not a bad idea to see if shes really into it. After the course if she still wants to ride, I would look into a cheap 650 or 750 to get her feet wet. DON'T spend any extra on paint, pipes, etc... Engine guards maybe nice tho. After she gets comfortable riding on that, trade it in, sell it, and get the Harley SHE wants. If she doesn't like riding her own, your not into a huge payment with high insurance trying to get rid of it. Check out the papers you'll find brand new bikes with 200 miles on them because someone thought it would be cool to have a bike. But that's just MHO.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:59 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

I am assuming she has never ridden before. If that is the case I think you might be wiser to start her off on a smaller, lighter bike. When I got back into riding I bought an 82 Kawasaki KZ440. Light and very rider friendly. I put about 2000 miles on that one before I bought the sporty. Sure glad I did.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:14 PM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

1. The Sportster is not a good starter bike.
2. Nightster and Iron have a negative comfort level.
3. The 600 cc Shadow or even the Rebel are light, have a low cg, and are great learners bikes.

jmho

Bwana

Old 10-20-2009, 10:24 PM
RATROD HOG
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brinsr
MSF course for sure.
What is the bike going to be used for?
Can she stand falt footed on a Dyna Low?
What feels good to her?
My wife started on a Honda 750 we picked up for 5k. It's not a bad idea to see if shes really into it. After the course if she still wants to ride, I would look into a cheap 650 or 750 to get her feet wet. DON'T spend any extra on paint, pipes, etc... Engine guards maybe nice tho. After she gets comfortable riding on that, trade it in, sell it, and get the Harley SHE wants. If she doesn't like riding her own, your not into a huge payment with high insurance trying to get rid of it. Check out the papers you'll find brand new bikes with 200 miles on them because someone thought it would be cool to have a bike. But that's just MHO.
+1 let her beat them trainer bikes up first (MSF Course Bikes)

Old 10-21-2009, 02:04 AM
PRrdglide
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

My wife after the course started out o a 650 Yamaha Rode it all over the place . She now has an 05 low rider. Has rode it 9000 miles. a Friend of mine bought a Nightster , Let her ride it a couple of times . We are going to pick one up this weekend. That we got a deal on She is also 5'3 and 130 She said it just fit her better and was easier for her to maneuver around in tight areas. I will let you know how she likes it after this weekend. She will be ridding it back home about 250 mille.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:26 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts
Thumbs up What He Said

Originally Posted by bwana1
1. The Sportster is not a good starter bike.
2. Nightster and Iron have a negative comfort level.
3. The 600 cc Shadow or even the Rebel are light, have a low cg, and are great learners bikes.
jmho

Bwana
Good info there and agree .. Also will add a Yamaha V Star which wife had is also a good learning bike with low seat height and big bike feel .. If truly need a Harley right off.. The Deluxe has the lowest seat height.. Not knocking Sporty's, I own one but will never recommend it for a beginner bike even though it was my First Harley.. Way back in 1969.. No MSF or even Motorcycle endorsement required back then .. I survived but wonder sometimes how I did ..

Quick Reply: Sportster for my wife's first bike ???