Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster for my wife's first bike ???

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 07:28 AM
sajackson
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet but the Sporty is a bit top heavy. I would look for a low.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:24 AM
3rdgear
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bwana1
1. The Sportster is not a good starter bike.
2. Nightster and Iron have a negative comfort level.
3. The 600 cc Shadow or even the Rebel are light, have a low cg, and are great learners bikes.

jmho

Bwana

I would have to agree.. even though I started on a sportster I had some pretty butt puckering experiences..

im 5'7 140lbs

and the MSF Course is a must for anyone learning to ride..

+1

hope this helps you out..

Old 10-21-2009, 09:41 AM
SHTFIT
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to stay in (what used to be!) the Harley family, I second the Buell Blast idea.. small, light and much less intimidating to ride. As many have said before, a Sportster can be your first bike but it certainly is no beginners bike. The weight and balance can be issue. The problem with the Blast is it's styling may not be what she is looking for.

Another classic style non-harley bike that is a great place to start are the 750cc Moto Guzzi Nevada and the new Moto Guzzi Classic. They are small, weight, classic style air-cooled V-Twin's and a blast to ride. They also carry a lot of history like H-D. She would have no shame in riding one of these italian beauties. NY area has some good dealers too. The dealer in lower Westchester is great. But there is also one in Brooklyn and one in LI.

Last edited by SHTFIT; 10-21-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:44 AM
catlkn
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

3. The 600 cc Shadow or even the Rebel are light, have a low cg, and are great learners bikes.

jmho

Bwana
I disagree with 1 and 2 above. I am very comfortable on my Nightster and I have ridden for up to 8 hours at a time (yes with potty breaks!). Your wife will def need a low or a Nightster though considering her height.

While I agree that there may be better learning bikes out there I think it all depends on if you want to buy something she'll be proud of and want to keep for a while (spend more of your money doing mods ) or if you want to buy a throw away "learning" bike.

My Nightster is my first bike. I had never ridden before owning it and I love it!! (I do suggest adding the engine guards though, we all have our "little" mishaps when learning and my guards saved my bike during that time!)

Old 10-21-2009, 12:36 PM
karaokeman
Road Captain

+1 on a smaller light bike to learn and get comfortable with

Old 10-21-2009, 03:15 PM
lumberjacker
Advanced

My wife did a year on a Yamaha Virago 250. Super light and low. Not much power for interstate riding but she did 4K plus miles last summer and it gave her the seat time she needed and the confidence to move up. She is now the proud owner of a 2008 Nightster. I installed an easy pull clutch kit and she loves it. Her advice is start with a small bike to try to avoid the Intimidation factor. Those small bikes are easy to sell when the time comes to move up.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:13 PM
tiger_rider
Tourer

jmho

Bwana
I would stay away from the Rebel. Its underpowered and she will outgrow it very quickly. I would also recommend the VSTAR 650. My 5-1 wife was able to ride it before she got a 1200L

Old 10-21-2009, 08:02 PM
sajackson
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the Moto Guzzi Classic....Great looking bike.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:08 PM
MacAttack
Tourer

A stock Sporty is pretty docile; I would look for a Low, to give extra confidence. A starter bike really worth considering is a Suzuki Savage/Boulevard S40 (650 single). My wife started on one of these - eventually did a 300-mile day on it, and said, "I want a bigger bike!" Unfortunately we had to sell her Savage to get her new bike.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:22 PM
HDJIM1158
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. We are going to take all your advice and wait to buy a bike until she takes the MSF class, at the point if she still wants to ride, we will most likely get an LOW or Nightster as she only wants a Harley..... I guess this has something to do with me......LOL

Thanks again and Be Safe JIM

Quick Reply: Sportster for my wife's first bike ???