Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'09 Nightster exhaust help

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 01:15 PM
yomny
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '09 Nightster exhaust help

Im planning on upgrading the exhaust on my nightster but wasn't too sure on what fuel management device to get, if any. I would appreciate if you could give me some insight on different model, price ranges and experiences with them. This is what i've found so far, as far as inexpensive tunig goes, dont really want to spend hundreds of dollars unless i really have to. The exhaust im going to install is the ShortShot Staggered Black from Vance and Hines. Im not planning on putting an intake any time soon. Thanks

O2 IED - 14.2:1 AFR Xtreme Inline Enhancement

And FUELPACK

But this seems a little pricy

Old 10-20-2009, 01:37 PM
snacks63
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a dealer download and be done i have an 09 with the same pipes and intake runs great, fuel packs suck and can burn up your pcm (no more warrenty)

Old 10-20-2009, 02:18 PM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you search on here, you'd find out that you can do the exhaust swap without doing the intake & fuel management. But once you do the intake along with the exhaust, you have to do the fuel management.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:30 PM
yomny
Advanced

Sounds good, i think i'll do more searching. I just wanted to see what similar modders have done and what results they have gotten, on the nigthrider website where they sell the IED's they say that you could run the exhaust without fuel management since the closed loop will try and compensate. Just thought that it would be a good idea to lower exhaust temps and maybe increase response. Thanks

Old 10-20-2009, 02:37 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,951 Likes on 1,935 Posts

Rule of thumb is exhaust only, no need to remap. Add an air filter and then you need an EFI remapping device or download. You'll be fine with jsut the pipes. What are you waiting for?

Old 10-20-2009, 03:08 PM
yomny
Advanced

another thing, will i need to get a pair of exhaust gaskets? Or would the new exhausts come with a replacement pair? Thanks

Old 10-20-2009, 03:36 PM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to buy a pair from the dealer it was like $5.00. My V&H's did not come with any extra gaskets

Old 10-20-2009, 03:44 PM
yomny
Advanced

i should swing by the deal then the day before my exhaust arrive. thanks

Old 10-21-2009, 11:17 AM
yomny
Advanced

BiggDogg since you have the exhaust, how did the 02 installation go? Did you have to weld them in, or does it have a thread for bolt on? One more thing, i read all this about baffles and i don't know how much more loud this is going to be from my stock pipes but i don't want it to be annoying either. I order the exhaust as is, nothing extra, now iIm assuming that's a straight pipe and nothing else. Should i consider getting a set of baffles? Thanks

Old 10-21-2009, 01:42 PM
DallasSportster
Road Captain

Originally Posted by yomny
BiggDogg since you have the exhaust, how did the 02 installation go? Did you have to weld them in, or does it have a thread for bolt on? One more thing, i read all this about baffles and i don't know how much more loud this is going to be from my stock pipes but i don't want it to be annoying either. I order the exhaust as is, nothing extra, now iIm assuming that's a straight pipe and nothing else. Should i consider getting a set of baffles? Thanks
The O2 sensors are threaded and will screw into the new pipes. The short shots come with the standard baffles already installed. These pipes are MUCH louder than the stock exhaust. You may want to spring for a set of quiet baffles. It wont quiet them down much, just gives them a deeper sound.

Quick Reply: '09 Nightster exhaust help