Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ness SS Big Sucker stage II

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 08:25 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Ness SS Big Sucker stage II

alright......i'm now hearing conflicting reports about the stage II. i just purchased one and i'm hearing from some people that the stage II is for bikes with heavy engine mods, i.e. cams, heads and the stage 1 is for pipe and air cleaner upgrade only. is there any truth to this? will i be able to run the stage II on my 08 sporty even though i don't have the engine mods mentioned? i'm thinking i should be fine but i need some closure from the motor heads on this site or anyone familiar with the ness products. i've sent them an email as well but haven't heard back from them. thanks everyone.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:28 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Yes it is true, but you can run it anyways. As long as you tune the bike for it, it will be fine.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:59 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

thanks freebird! you mean as long as i get the proper download for my pcIII to control the air/fuel mix i should be ok? i was looking out on powercommander.com for a download for it and couldn't find one. thanks again for your input. if anyone out there is running one of these, can you point me in the right direction for the proper download for my power commander?

Old 10-20-2009, 11:34 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by xFreebirdx
Yes it is true, but you can run it anyways. As long as you tune the bike for it, it will be fine.
And I wouldn't be surprised if the Stage II download would be really all that different from the BS Stage 1, on a typical Stage 1 bike.

Last edited by WVHogRider; 10-20-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:44 AM
crazytrain69
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the best thing you could do is to take it and have it tuned on a Dyno somewhere to get it tuned in correctly for the stage II air cleaner. the downloads you get just gets you in the ball park and that's it.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:55 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by crazytrain69
I think the best thing you could do is to take it and have it tuned on a Dyno somewhere to get it tuned in correctly for the stage II air cleaner. the downloads you get just gets you in the ball park and that's it.
which i had thought about doing but the cost was driving me away. all in all, sounds like the bike won't be damaged by running it as long as i get the correct download at the very least, then save my pennies for a dyno tune. thanks guys!

Old 10-20-2009, 05:07 PM
motordrum
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats what I'm running and as mentioned above, as long as you get the proper download you will be fine. I just took it to the dealer and had them do the download and my bike runs like a scalded dog. Even though I hated to take it into the dealer, it was worth it.

Trending Topics

Old 10-20-2009, 05:11 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by motordrum
Thats what I'm running and as mentioned above, as long as you get the proper download you will be fine. I just took it to the dealer and had them do the download and my bike runs like a scalded dog. Even though I hated to take it into the dealer, it was worth it.
perfect! thanks drum!

Old 10-20-2009, 06:03 PM
crobinson1324
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxatv
alright......i'm now hearing conflicting reports about the stage II. i just purchased one and i'm hearing from some people that the stage II is for bikes with heavy engine mods, i.e. cams, heads and the stage 1 is for pipe and air cleaner upgrade only. is there any truth to this? will i be able to run the stage II on my 08 sporty even though i don't have the engine mods mentioned? i'm thinking i should be fine but i need some closure from the motor heads on this site or anyone familiar with the ness products. i've sent them an email as well but haven't heard back from them. thanks everyone.
thanx for askin this man, i was fixin to order a ness stage 2 for mine also but was wondering the same questions as you. saved me the post, let me know how you like it, im thinkin of ordering mine in the next couple weeks.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:28 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You shouldn't need any differant download for a stage 2 air cleaner vs a stage 1 air cleaner, as your bike is totally unable to use the air flow that's avalible to you, hell I have one on my 96" RK and it's not big enough to use all the airfow that's available from a stage 2 air cleaner.

Quick Reply: Ness SS Big Sucker stage II