Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a good price for an '10 Iron 883?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 02:52 AM
Garcia85
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good price for an '10 Iron 883?

Hey there, I'm new to the forums, I happen to stumble upon this site. I'm currently deployed in Afghanistan and I was looking into a Sportster. I really like the Iron 883's in all flat black, I think it looks really clean. I'm mainly looking to use this bike as a daily commuter once I get back to the states. The guy here on base quoted me $8,521, that includes smart security system.

I'm worried about the size of the bike I'm 5'9 and weight 200 pounds, so I'm hoping I'm the right size for this type of bike.

I was hoping to get this bike shipped back to my home town so I can just visit the family when I get back and pick the bike up and drive back to Arizona.

I was also told it was easy to make this bike a 1200? I'm not really interested in doing so but its good to know.

I just need some advice, I"m a bit skeptical about getting this bike mainly because I'm debt free right now, dont really want to get back in debt lol but, I"m gonna be putting 3,000 down so I'll only really owe about 5,000 on the bike. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 10-18-2009, 03:48 AM
silvabjeffrey
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MO3iusONE
Hey there, I'm new to the forums, I happen to stumble upon this site. I'm currently deployed in Afghanistan and I was looking into a Sportster. I really like the Iron 883's in all flat black, I think it looks really clean. I'm mainly looking to use this bike as a daily commuter once I get back to the states. The guy here on base quoted me $8,521, that includes smart security system.

I'm worried about the size of the bike I'm 5'9 and weight 200 pounds, so I'm hoping I'm the right size for this type of bike.

I was hoping to get this bike shipped back to my home town so I can just visit the family when I get back and pick the bike up and drive back to Arizona.

I was also told it was easy to make this bike a 1200? I'm not really interested in doing so but its good to know.

I just need some advice, I"m a bit skeptical about getting this bike mainly because I'm debt free right now, dont really want to get back in debt lol but, I"m gonna be putting 3,000 down so I'll only really owe about 5,000 on the bike. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
that sounds about right. i did no bargaining or deal making. I walked in my local HD dealership with 1000 dollars in my back pocket and told em i wanted their next black denim iron that arrives (there was a silver one in the store front). They said 5 weeks, it'd arrive, i said i'll have another 2500 when it gets here and handed him the thousand. No haggling... it was 10,090 out the door. they gave me alot of parting gifts... 2 dealership Tshirts, a frame collection of silver HERITAGE of the 90's, HD pocket knife, and the HD 2008 Parts Catalog.

I'm your height, but 155lbs... i'm sure you'll be fine. There are way bigger guys on this forum that say they're comfortable on the bike. I like it. But, i have nothing to compare it to because it is my first bike. I just became debt free until i bought this bike... but, i don't consider the payments as debt, cuz even though i might be broke at certain times during the month... theres nothing a good ride can't fix. GL on your decisions.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:57 AM
Garcia85
Cruiser

thats pretty cool. I just dont know if I should maybe buy one from last year and fill out a tax exempt form once I get back to the states since I"m not a resident of Arizona. I wonder if that will come out to a cheaper price.. hmm..

in other words, I dont know if I should just order one brand new over here or just, wait it out till I get back home and see what I can find.

Last edited by Garcia85; 10-18-2009 at 04:02 AM.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:43 AM
fastkevin
Tourer

Seems to be the hot item right now. Some markets you aren't getting one unless you wait.
I'd definitely wait if you're not sure about the bike, and/or if you haven't sat on one, or seen it in person.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:15 AM
Garcia85
Cruiser

So..I thought this price was a little steep, I mean since the price isn't including tax and everything, so I go online and try to get a quote from the same people who sell autos and motos to military and they quoted me almost 11,000 for a 2009 model, holy jebus..$8,500 doesn't seem so bad anymore lol.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:39 AM
TX_Harley_GI
Cruiser

I assume you are going thru the AAFES New car sales people. They work a pretty good discount. The more the bike cost, the larger the discount though. all in all i think the price he quoted you is great. It includes everything except the sales tax and that aint gonna be all that much anyway. You won't find a better deal on a new bike stateside, period. If this is the bike you really want and you have the abilities to put 3k down, i say go for it. The debt monthly will hardly be noticeable to you for 5,000 dollars of financing. Good Luck on your decision!

Old 10-18-2009, 08:26 AM
Garcia85
Cruiser

Hey thanks man, this makes me feel a lot better.
All I gotta do now is just run it through my dad to see what he thinks, he normally talks some sense into me if he thinks I'm doing something that isn't right lol. I mean yeah, when I get back I"ll only have 5,000 left to pay, hell maybe I'll put more than 3,000 down depending on how this deployment goes. Thanks again, I"ll let you guys know how it goes.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:44 AM
Adam_T
Cruiser

Put down as much as you can right away. :-)

And I think 5'9'' 200 pounds should be fine, hopefully you are more toned than fat though...hahaha.

I am 6 feet tall on the dot and weigh 176 and love the feel of riding my bike.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:49 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's a fair price if all you owe aftwerwards is sales tax and registration. your payment on 5K with decent credit will hover around 150/month plus insurance, so budget 200/month max.

I'm your height and it fits me perfectly....

As far as the 1200 conversion goes, it's very cheap and easy to do providing you do it yourself using non HD parts.......Best price using HD parts is about 1K, 500 if you use aftermarket stuff....then you have to deal with changing the fuel map, and presently that is a problem unless you let hd install their Super Tuner and then pay another 250 for a dyno tune.

Dynojet will release their new PCV in the next month or two that will allow you to modify the 2010 Sportsters, so hold off all engine/exhaust mods till then.

All n all, the 883 Iron is a great commuter scoot providing you don't drive lots distance at freeway speeds and don't mind wearing a backpack.

Motorcycles are Fair-Weather-Friends for most of us due to where we live and scooters simply ain't safe in downpours or icy conditions, so don't plan on it being your sole means of transportation.

Stay safe over there

Old 10-18-2009, 03:21 PM
Doc4545
Tourer
Received 75 Likes on 33 Posts

First off let me say thanks for your service. I'm the proud dad of a great young man serving right now as well, he's in Iraq on his 3rd tour (E4, 68W).

When he was getting ready to come home from his first trip in '07 he was also looking into getting a bike. He settled on a Triumph Street Triple, was able to make a great deal from one of our intown dealers. Regardless, just really shop around, talk with your dad and take an MSF class when you get back.

Stay safe, stay mission focused and look forward to getting on 2 wheels.

Quick Reply: Is this a good price for an '10 Iron 883?