Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chopper conversion kits......

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 07:22 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a 2005 1200C on which we installed a 41mm chromed upper/lower AME kit, along with a chromed upgraded 4-piston front caliper and braided line.

The AME kits are manufactured in Germany, and are over engineered with safety in mind. In fact they have also been TUV Certified. They are also engineered to keep the stock trail dimension so the bike will remain stable at all speeds.

I got tired of the 'choppy ride' on the Sportster caused by the short wheelbase and smaller 39mm narrow tubes, and going with a heavier 41mm WideGlide front end solved that problem completely. The 4-piston front caliper has beefed up the braking function as well.

I went with a 14 degree over package (giving the bike a total of 44 degrees rack), and the 8" over 41mm chromed upper/lower tubes.

With the changes the bike is much more comfortable on long high speed cruises.

Only takes a few hours to install, and it takes all the guess work out of calculating correct frame and fork rack angles to retain a correct trail dimension. It's also a snap to reinstall the stock front end in case you ever decide to sell your bike in the future.

Had a lot of positive comments, and never have had anyone call it "Gay", well I guess except here on the internet. But like anything else, if you are happy with the results, and the improvement in stability and handling, who gives a damn what others might think...

http://www.chopper-kit-usa.com/

Old 10-17-2009, 07:37 AM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 486 Likes on 354 Posts

I was interested in one of those for a while, but sold the bike before I did it. I see them all over the place. I noticed a interesting thing about them...... It seems every time I saw a Sportster with a long front end, it was one of these conversion. I almost NEVER see a late model Evo Sprotster with a raked frame, just these kits. I hear alot of people rip on them and say "do it the right way or its no real chopper", but never see any "real chopper" Sportster actually on the road or at events. To me that says alot about them!!! If I was to pick up another Sporty, I would consider one of these kits again.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:51 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

I've owned a number of chopped bikes (including a chopper rigid frame 1949 Panhead that I still have in storage), and I know a number of guys that still ride custom choppers.

No matter how well they were built none of them have a more stable or comfortable ride at speed than the bikes running the 'chopper front end kits'.

But as they say, each to their own when it comes to their own preferences...

Old 10-17-2009, 08:16 AM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
I was interested in one of those for a while, but sold the bike before I did it. I see them all over the place. I noticed a interesting thing about them...... It seems every time I saw a Sportster with a long front end, it was one of these conversion. I almost NEVER see a late model Evo Sprotster with a raked frame, just these kits. I hear alot of people rip on them and say "do it the right way or its no real chopper", but never see any "real chopper" Sportster actually on the road or at events. To me that says alot about them!!! If I was to pick up another Sporty, I would consider one of these kits again.
Yea, I don't think many people actually do "chop" their bikes anymore, especially newer ones. It just seems that more people do a kit front end. I had planned on doing that myself, but the kit that "Semen Cycles" sold me didn't fit....even though they argued with me about it....it just wouldn't work. So, I "chopped" the frame on mine, and am MUCH happier with it this way. To me, this looks a thousand times better than a front end kit.
And, it ended up costing less than a kit! Of course I had an experienced frame welder and builder do the work for me. But, in the end it cost me around $1900 for everything. Some kits cost that much or more, and if you don't do the work yourself, you have to add in labor costs too.

With a kit front end, it just changes the forks. But with chopping the frame, you can get a whole different look with it, such as the up sweep in my frame.

At events and charity rides......my bike always has people standing around it looking!

Old 10-17-2009, 09:20 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

I don't consider installing a front end kit (or cutting the neck to add extended tubes) to be a "chopper", no matter what the model of bike.

The below are actual 'chopped Sportsters', built by a custom bike shop down the down from where I live.. The guy that did these also builds some great custom trikes...

Old 10-17-2009, 11:02 AM
mrbassman
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The whole reason why I'm thinking about these kits is that I feel it's an economical way to test the "chopper" waters. Once that frame gets cut, that's it, you're commited whether you like it or not. This way, if I don't like it, I can always put the original stuff back on and sell the kit. It also gives the option of selling it with the bike, or not. Without cutting that frame, I feel you can get "two bikes in one".

Besides, with all the usual things like mortgage, car payments, two kids in college, I don't have tons of money to play around with things like this. It's a nice economic alternative.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:20 AM
motordrum
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OldFenderGuy
I don't consider installing a front end kit (or cutting the neck to add extended tubes) to be a "chopper", no matter what the model of bike.

The below are actual 'chopped Sportsters', built by a custom bike shop down the down from where I live.. The guy that did these also builds some great custom trikes...

But it seems that nothing has been "chopped" on those bikes. They appear to be custom built frames. Just like Big Dog "choppers" are not choppers, they are overpriced cookie cutter bikes that look like choppers, so people with more money than brains can say "Hey bro, check out my sweet chopper". People tend to throw around the term "chopper" and "bobber" way too loosely IMO.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:21 PM
blackedout08
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree ,what is left on those bikes from the sportster ,besides the motor.I think majority of the bike needs to stay a sportster.JMO

Old 10-18-2009, 03:36 PM
Austen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jag1886
If you are talking about one of those fake looking front ends, they are gay! Nothing against gay's just gay looking fake choppers!
this isnt a very productive statement. i dont think he asked if anyone thought it was gay.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:59 PM
silverwolf79
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

don't care how you guys did these , all I can say is ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
"Oh hell yeah ,F'ing sweet" !!!

Quick Reply: Chopper conversion kits......