Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ANOTHER RIP

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 05:54 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: ANOTHER RIP

I find this unbelieveable. Never have I seen a bumped 883 loose a race to a factory 1200, the lower gear and lighter components of the bumped 883 make it a quicker bike, and you are ridin double? something bad wrong with the other dudes bike fer sure!
ORIGINAL: CoolRide

I just bought a 05 1200C a week or so ago, with 981 miles.

The plan was to ride it for a year and trade it for a Dyna super or some such thing.

However after having put 500 miles on it we (Mrs.C. & I) are really diggin it!

Not sure that I will trade it off. I can smoke a buddys 883 turned 1200 WITH my wife on board!

And another friend with a modified Dyna lowrider cant catch us either (Damn near though LOL)

I know its not all about speed, for me anyways but it will pull the front wheel thru 4th if Im trying, handles VERY well in the corners, sounds awsume, looks even better, retains its value, only $11,000.

Im proud it says "Sporster"

My friends on their big twins can laugh all they want and point UP AHEAD at us! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

CR

Old 06-30-2006, 06:11 PM
CoolRide
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldnt have known myself if I hadent been there!

When we all came back from our first ride my friends said that we were ungodly fast.

I dont know what all has been done to mine, but I do know what has been done to theirs and they are fairly heavley modified,, IE cams, carb, 1 has had head work, the 883 turned 1200 is being sent out for head work now! HAHAHAHAHa.

I thought the Dyna lowrider was faster than us but he said no, it was all he could do to keep up.

I know that mine with me and my wife ( 400 pounds total) can go from a dead stop to 60 by the count of 3.

My owners manual says that new for 05 was hi comp 9:7:1 pistons with higher flowing heads and hotter cams?

I dunno for sure what it is but she is fast!

CR

Old 06-30-2006, 07:27 PM
spikehyre
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished a 6 hour run from Leavenworth WA through the Cascade Mtns returning to my home on Puget Sound. I saw lots of baggers but I felt myself grinning running at 75 south through the desert...not a cage on the road. This 1200C I think, is everyman's motorcycle. Light, fast, killer looks...of course the custom has tons of chrome and gets plenty of attention at stops. Man if this is a starter.....keep me there. I travelled these roads many times by car and NEVER enjoyed the trip as much...the sound, the smell, hot and cold.....all good.

Old 07-01-2006, 01:43 PM
ronn39
Road Master

It's interesting when the FL owner who's never ridden a Sportster finally does, comes back with a big smile on his face and says: "Damn! That was fun!". That's when I get that all-knowing smile on my face.

Old 07-01-2006, 02:07 PM
notorious
Road Captain

I recon I'm just a puss like Evel Knievel. notorious

Old 07-01-2006, 03:55 PM
russkrs
Cruiser

Its my first bike... I got it because it is a good starter bike... and I would like to pass it along to my wife when I get a larger one.

Old 07-01-2006, 07:10 PM
XL OCD
Road Warrior

I've never had anyone say anything like that to me unless they were joking. NO ONE who's ridden with me has ever ripped on my Sporty... prolly 'cause after that they know that me's Sporty just ripped their bike.

Old 07-01-2006, 07:23 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

******, you have me confused. Lighter components?? The stock 1200 weighs less than a comparable 883. I always assumed that was because there was more hollow space in the cylinders of the 1200 than the 883 equalling less metal = less weight. What components are lighter?

Old 07-01-2006, 07:50 PM
PoleCat
Road Captain

Y'know, I have never heard of such a stupid thing to say.

Beginner bike . . . That's just dumb.

Some guys just need to inject insults into their ego to make 'em run I guess.

Pay it no mind partner. You ride what you like and let him deal with his issues on his own.

In my opinion, a beginner bike is one you don't care if you drop or dammage while learning to be a proficient rider . . . a sweet machine like a Sportster 883 is definitely not a beginner bike.

Old 07-01-2006, 10:40 PM
XL OCD
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: whaap

******, you have me confused. Lighter components?? The stock 1200 weighs less than a comparable 883. I always assumed that was because there was more hollow space in the cylinders of the 1200 than the 883 equalling less metal = less weight. What components are lighter?
The lighter components - specifically the pistons, are typically lighter when done in the conversion. The stock pistons are heavy.

Quick Reply: ANOTHER RIP