Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible new Rider

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 01:14 AM
boogerbooger
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible new Rider

Hi everyone, been lurking for a bit on these boards.
I am right at the point of purchasing my first bike a 1200 custom ( Waiting on financing options). I have never owned a bike before ( road ) other than a dirt bike when I was many many moons younger. I have a couple questions please.
I am planning on taking the safety / rider course offered by a local dealer as a starter. Good idea?
In your opinion, I'm a smaller guy 6' 140 lbs. Is a 1200 too big as a first bike purchase?
Am I in a mid life crisis or is it just me thinking a bike is the way to attract the opposite sex or should I hand out in bars more? . . . JK, just a joke that makes me smile. )

Seriously, I have always wanted a Harley as far as I can remember and have just never made the leap. I have ton's of friends who ride and they all ride dressers much bigger than I would feel comfortable riding at this time. I just want to buy a bike properly sized if there is such a thing as that. Am I just worrying too much ? . . . Thanks for your time to respond.

Old 06-30-2006, 01:26 AM
boom215
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Possible new Rider

Alot of people consider the sporty to be the beginners bike but there are easier harleys to ride. the seat height is kinda high compared to some other scoots and i think the lower the center of gravity the easier? i would take the course first then get a bike

Old 06-30-2006, 01:30 AM
joetst2
Cruiser

Definately take a safety course first. The one I took here in California was 5 hours of classroom time and 10 hours of riding. It was worth every penny of the $235 spent to take the course. Sportsters are slightly top heavy so you need to really pay attention at slower speeds until you get some riding experience under your belt. The weight overall is easy to handle, but just don't zone out or you'll be looking at your bike laying on it's side at a stop sign or something.

Old 06-30-2006, 01:41 AM
aceospades
Road Warrior

i think the bike should fit you well..im 6 ft and weight 158 pounds and i handle my 1200 c just fine..if you go with a smaller bike like the 883 you will either have to do the 1200 conversion or buy a bigger bike later on(and it probably wont be too much later)..you should handle it just fine,and i would recommend the safety course..especially if you havent ridden in a long time..

Old 06-30-2006, 04:13 AM
Tralfaz
Road Master

I just bought a 1200C 2 weeks ago. I'm about 5' 11", though I'm about 180lbs and I can handle mine quite well. Short of the MSF course, riding the Sportster is my first riding experience on any two wheeled vehicle that wasn't battery powered, so I think it works out well for a beginner. As as been mentioned, it is a little bit top heavy, so I am usually careful starting her up from a light, but once you get going she wants to stay straight up. Just my opinion after 2 weeks of ownership, and I have about 230 miles on it now. As was mentioned, I would definately recommend the MSF course, and wherever you start out, just start slow and get used to braking and turning since it's likely the Sportster will weigh a couple hundred pounds more than whatever motorcycle you use in the MSF course.

After that, just have fun. I know I have. With the long weekend coming up, it's time to do some riding with a friend of mine that just go this first bike also. We'll make quite the odd couple since he rides a Ducati.

Old 06-30-2006, 07:35 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Being an Old MSF instructor I definietly suggest you take the basic course.

I do however strongly suggest you buy a decent used bike for your first bike. For several reasons. One, the likelyhood of your dropping your bike once if not several times is great as you are inexperienced. You will learn that even old timers drop their bikes. It's just that odds are you definetly will.

Secondly, there's a good chance that whatever bike you pick out, your tastes, likes and dislikes aren't formed yet so consequently you don't know what you want. As your experience increases you are going to find your "niche" and be more certain if you want a bagger, a softail, a Sporty or what?

That way a year from now when you trade in your first bike you're not going to take the big hit as far as depreciation goes. You'll lose alot less on a used bike than you will on a new one and that means you will have more money to buy the bike you end up wanting.

Old 06-30-2006, 11:32 AM
LAZYBOY
Tourer

i am riding my first bike ever, i am 50 , 5' 10" 175, i bought an 06 1200custom, after riding just a few weeks i am sure i made the right decision. the 1200 is not too big or too fast ( unless you want to go fast). i think you will be able to get very comfortable with the bike and you can always trade up in the future. great starter bike, very forgiving, nimble, and just plain fun. i hope you enjoy the adventure.

Old 06-30-2006, 11:45 AM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Greetings ... and welcome! Soooo, you're think'n about getting yourself a ride, are you? Taking the course is a definate... not even a maybe... a definate!

The sportster models are great bikes. You may find the bigger power better in the long run, because it won't be long before your looking to venture farther and farther away from home. The bigger power is so much nicer for hwy driving (IE: passing power, keeping up to traffic, etc). The size of the bike is fine when it comes to handling. Some shorter people find it a little top heavy (higher center of gravity) as opposed to other models, but light and a good entry level bike. Once your confortable with that, you are going to be looking at even a bigger bike, sure as shoot'n. Then comes the bags, the windshields etc. etc. etc.

Go for it! Enjoy, ride hard, ride safe!

Old 06-30-2006, 01:34 PM
banda
Stage III

Hello everybody!

Here's my question:

I like the 883 roadaster and the 883 custom...but the point is that i'm 6.06 feet and i really care about the comfort in a motorbike..
so what do you suggest me to do? The 883 custom is more comfortable than the roadster? Could i feel the difference in the long trips?
Thank you guys.
Francesco

Old 06-30-2006, 01:52 PM
metalgirl247
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi and welcome to HDF
I say get the bike you are most comfortable on

I got my 06 1200C Sporty last Sept.
I had originally went shopping for a DWG for my 1st bike but I ended up getting the Sporty.

I'm glad I did because I love the way she handles and she fits me perfectly.
I will say it is a little top heavy but I have no problem handling her.

I'm 5'4" and weigh 138lbs.....

I also know for a fact that I can pick her up by myself if she falls over[]
Guess how I know...lol

Good luck with whatever you decide

MG

[IMG]local://upfiles/5328/885A9F92EB2D417F8AD7C67E37949176.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Possible new Rider