Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another engine breaking in question

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009 | 07:03 AM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member

Like one person said, 1,000 miles. Then do the 1k service, But because it has sat so long I'd replace all the fluids, then ride to 1k and change them again.
If you want to get your oil at the auto part store, make sure the oil you use is diesel oil...That is what is recommended by MOCO

It is what the people who made it for the past...how many years? said it takes. Do it the way MOCO said to do it. Get the owners manual and read it. That is the Harley bible.

Unfortunately some people will tell you otherwise. Who will you trust, the people who made it or someone who has ridden one for a few years and never read the manual?

Don't even trust what I am telling you...I might be wrong. Read the manual...

Old 10-17-2009 | 07:31 AM
cole
Cruiser

#1. Most important, do not sit there and idle for more than a couple minutes. Piston rings are white hot after 15 seconds. When you go, keep RPM down, this is especially true for EVO'S, cause of the aluminun build. Course I'm only sayin' this stuff from 1984, when I went to HD school in Mil. I seen the first new engines and it was the greatest experience of my life. Sorry, I digress, I watched an engine built from a block of aluminum, to the final stage where they pulled the odd one off the assembly line and put it in a totally glassed in soundproof booth, in which there sat this {there is no way to say this with the utmost respect} old guy. These engines coming off the assembly line were all verified by the computers of the day to be oK. This ol' guy, and I say that with the greatest respect, just sat there, hooked the engine up, ya know, wiring fuel, like a dyno test. I stood there, outside the booth he was in of course, And watched, not knowing at the time what he was all about. He sat there, hit a switch and that engine wound up through the RPM scale. He leaned over slightly and cocked an ear,{can't remember which one though it don't matter} he was just listening to her. It was a defining moment in my life when I realized what it meant. If He's OK with the way she sounds, passes, but he says Nay, they take the last, I think it was 50 or coulda been more, engines off the line and they get tossed in the dumpster{I did see the dumpster full of new EVO engines,course they were recycled back. I know this is hard to believe and I have absolutely no proof, of course cameras were not allowed, but if anyone out there remembers the class of 84, Im The west coast BC boy with the crazy ontario guy. If you were there, you'll know. Anyways, what the H was I talking about?? cole