Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch feel question

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 03:39 PM
medic2931
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch feel question

OK, this has been bugging me for a few weeks so I want to see what everyone else says. Lately I feel like my clutch handle has to be let out about 2/3's to 3/4's of the way before I get into the friction zone. Just as I'm about to let the handle all the way out the clutch feels like it is fully engaged. It does not feel like the clutch is slipping. For some reason I feel like it used to start engaging earlier, like half way. I've made sure my cable is adjusted to spec and made sure that the clutch is adjusted and then readjusted the cable back to the 1/8" of play spec. Am I just retarded or does your clutch start to hit the friction zone sooner?

Old 10-13-2009, 03:50 PM
DallasSportster
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My clutch does not hit the friction zone until it is released at least 3/4 of the way. I noticed when I test rode the bike before I bought it. I asked the service guy about it and he said it was normal. I have had no issues with mine.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:15 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

When you were adjusting the clutch how far did you 'back out' the clutch adjusting screw?

I don't like to back it out more than 1/2 turn, even though the manual might recommend 3/4 to 1 full turn.

If you back it out more than 1/2 turn you will probably experience the issue you described with the 'friction zone', even after proper adjustment of the clutch cable.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:11 PM
medic2931
Tourer

I did what my manual says. Tightened till I met resistance and back off a 1/4 turn. When doing this I had the clutch cable loosened up all the way. After the clutch was adjusted and adjusted the cable until I had about 1/8" play as the manual says. Guess it's just a sportster thing.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:45 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine does the same thing and it bugged me for a bit too, but use to it now. I asked the HD dealer and they said it's normal and I had a buddy ride the bike that knows alot about HD's and he loved the feel of my clutch. I can tell you this-you do not want to cluch that grabbs right off the grip-that sucks in it's own way.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:06 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

Each to their own, but I set my Harley's up so the clutch engages/disengages at about the halfway point on the 'lever'.

I don't like it engaging when the lever is at the 3/4+ mark when it is released.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:43 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

+1 on rider preference. 1/4 turn out is the manual spec. which will bring the engage/disengage point closer to the grip. On many LEO bikes and precision riding teams where the "friction zone" sees alot more use, it is common to adjust out 1/2 turn or more so less lever pull is required.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:43 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

Sometimes I wonder if some of the 'dealership mechanics' even know how to adjust a clutch.

Friend of a friend stopped by not long ago, and asked me if I could check out his Softail Duece. It had about 12,000 miles on it and he said the clutch has never felt right, even though his dealership checked it out many times.

I rode his bike and the clutch would not start to engage until the clutch lever was almost fully released (from the bar). I don't think the clutch was fully engaging even with the clutch lever fully released, and on hard acceleration you could feel it start to slip.

Pulled the derby cover, checked and found the adjusting screw was backed out over 1 1/4 turns.

Seated the adjusting screw, backed it out 1/2 turn, adjusted the clutch cable, and now the clutch hits the 'friction zone' and starts to engage when released about an inch from the bar, like it should....

The guy rode his bike and was as happy as a kid in a candy store...

Makes you wonder........

Old 10-15-2009, 07:54 PM
medic2931
Tourer

My manual says to turn it till I start to meet resistance and then back off a 1/4 turn. Just what do they mean by start to feel resistance? Seems like I do this when I just barely feel any resistance. From the last post I'm wondering if I should go a little further?

Old 10-15-2009, 08:36 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by medic2931
My manual says to turn it till I start to meet resistance and then back off a 1/4 turn. Just what do they mean by start to feel resistance? Seems like I do this when I just barely feel any resistance. From the last post I'm wondering if I should go a little further?
When adjusting the clutch be sure to loosen your clutch cable and put 'slack' in the line.

Also, do the adjustment when the primary is cold, not after you have been riding and the clutch/primary is hot.

Just turn the adjusting screw in until you feel resistance, kind of like when you are putting a nut on a bolt and it starts to 'snug up'. I usually turn the adjusting screw in until it starts to become snug, back it out again, and do it a couple more times to make sure I'm getting a true reading.

Once it's snug (not tight) back it out between 1/4" to 1/2"... Like was mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, if you only back out the screw 1/4" the clutch will start to engage sooner when you start to release the clutch lever. At 1/2" the clutch will start to engage a little later when you start to release the clutch lever. It's all a personal preference.

After that just readjust your clutch cable, leaving a 1/16" to 1/8" gap between the cable ferrule and the clutch lever bracket. We never bother to actually measure the gap as an old trick is to just leave a nickel or quarter width worth of gap.

After that you should be good to go....

Quick Reply: Clutch feel question