Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 02:38 PM
2wheels1love
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter

I hate to say it but the cold days are coming in my area, and ridding days are limited. I got a new Nightster this year, got over 1000 miles on it in less than 2 months so I did get some good ride time it which I am pumped about. I want to make sure I treat er right and winterizer her when the time comes. When do most in the New England area winterize? What are the proper steps?

I was thinking I will add stabilizer and then run it out of gas, park it in the garage, and wish for spring. Am I missing anything? Maybe a slow charger for the battery?

Old 10-12-2009, 03:01 PM
3rdgear
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found this.. Click here

Let me know if anyone else has any input..

(Oh.. BTW.. its a PDF file so you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to open it.. )

Old 10-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Recon Dad
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do not run it out of gas. Fill the tank full of gas and add stabilizer. The tank insides can rust from moisture if not covered with gas.

I change oil and use fully synthetic oil. The synthetic oil clings better to the cylinder walls and keeps them from rusting.

Battery tenders are good for extending battery life.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:03 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

My bikes aren't bears, and they don't need to go into 'hibernation' during the winter.

Around here in the lower Midwest temperatures can be well below zero on day, and then up into the 40's a few days later.

I keep all my bikes on battery tenders, and if the temperatures reach freezing or higher, and the roads are clear, we ride...

Old 10-13-2009, 06:28 PM
TestFlyer
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in New England, too - and never "hybernate" my bike. I ride until the first major snow (or until they salt the roads). Plus, I have always been out at least one day a month from Dec-March.

Change oil and filter, Stabil and keep fuel tank FULL, maybe clean the motorcycle well, park tires on carpeting if able, connect battery tender, put on a breathable cover, and wait for winter day when roads are free of salt and then ride for at least 30 minutes - - engine needs to get fully up to temp. NEVER start it for a few minutes and then put it away - bad for all internal engine components.

Better option: Move it to Arizona.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:37 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah it's been a cold year here in NE Ohio and it's been real cold for the past few weeks for this time of year so i have not been riding much at all. This past Sunday I put the Sporty away. I topped of the tank, put Seafoam in the tank and but the battery ona tender. I will start her up about once a month or so and let her run till warm, but doubt I will ride her. I did not put the Kaw away yet just incase we get a nice day or two and want to take a ride, but that bike is going to be put away soon.

I use to ride in the cold, but anymore I just don't like it. I ride only for fun and when I'm cold it's not fun to me.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:06 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by XL50#674
Yeah it's been a cold year here in NE Ohio and it's been real cold for the past few weeks for this time of year so i have not been riding much at all. This past Sunday I put the Sporty away. I topped of the tank, put Seafoam in the tank and but the battery ona tender. I will start her up about once a month or so and let her run till warm, but doubt I will ride her. I did not put the Kaw away yet just incase we get a nice day or two and want to take a ride, but that bike is going to be put away soon.

I use to ride in the cold, but anymore I just don't like it. I ride only for fun and when I'm cold it's not fun to me.
That's the worst possible thing you can do for the motor during winter storage. It will cause condensation (moisture) to form in the oil system. If you can't take it out for at least an hour long ride, don't crank the motor.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:24 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

If you are gonna lay it up for more than a few months without starting it, fog the engine.