Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sporty wont start

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 08:15 AM
meatball
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sporty wont start

it will crank but wont start. the fuses are ok and it is getting gas but i dont think its getting spark. whats wrong. I pulled off the spark plug wire and put a new plug in it, grounded it and cranked the motor. no spark???

Old 06-28-2006, 10:52 AM
JohnK/Pa
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: sporty wont start

This is probibly the most difficult thing to fix, it could be almost anything. If you have the know how to work on electrical problems then you just have to start at the beginning and work your way thru the system. You didn't say what year it is, if it cranks you probibly have juice to at least the kill switch, on the older sportys I believe you can crank them with the kill switch off. Does it have a security system? Did it run yesterday and won't start today, did you repair or replace something especially around the bars or by the ignition. Other wise it could be anything from the wiring to the module to the coil and everything in between. Finding any electrical problem is a shot in the dark and is usually something stupid. Just my .02

Old 06-28-2006, 06:55 PM
flyboyjacko
Intermediate

I had exactly the same problem, mine happened after I had taken the tank off to do some work, I actually disturbed the loom. My loom has been hacked into previously to relocate the ignition and to add an alarm, I opened up the loom and found a couple of bare wires touching each other.
Best way of checking is to measure the current going into the coil, I still had current but it was too low to convert to high tention current for the plugs. If your not getting the full 12 volts you may have the same problem, if your not getting anything then you need to look at the ignition or security system if you have one installed. (it can't be the engine stop switch otherwise you wouldn't be able to turn it over).
If you do have current going into the coil the it is almost certain to be the coil (although I think it's quite a rear failure).

Hope this helps.

Old 06-28-2006, 09:07 PM
meatball
Advanced

its a 2003 and their is power to the coil, the plug wires are ok, the bank angle sensor is ok and the coil is ok according to the diagnostic specifications in the service manual. Im stumped!!! how do you check the ignition module?

Old 06-28-2006, 11:50 PM
diablo666
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't kmow if a 03 uses a crank sensor or not.My wifes 02 doesn't have one my 06 does.If your does take a ohm reading on the two wires coming out of the sensor at the module.Most cranks sensors on cars anyhow go about 800-1200 ohms.I don't know that you can test the module but you can eliminate evrything else.If everything else is good what else could it be.Make sure you disconnect the module before taking any ohm readings.