Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Davidson Nightster Sportster Review article

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009 | 07:53 PM
HDForums Editors
|
Internet Brands
Default Harley Davidson Nightster Sportster Review article

Hey guys,

How do you feel about the current Nightster? A nice step forward from the previous model? Any reason to be disappointed? Looking towards getting one? Or avoiding it? Why? Where would you go to if not a Nightster?

Check out the review on the homepage along with other good reads: www.HDForums.com

Not enough on the Nightster? So much more to discuss and read here: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tags/nightster.html

Thanks

Old 10-02-2009 | 08:32 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member

heres a review:

it looks fantastic parked with its rear tire against the curb. riding it is fun, if you never ever go anywhere. its super-fast, compared to all the other tractor-type motorcycles.

handling is excellent if you don't treat it like a motorcycle. in the right hands, its capable of cornering as well if not better than most minivans. when leaned over on its jiffy-stand, few bikes can compare!

maintenance is nothing to worry about. just take it to harley, plunk down your money, and all your worries are gone. sure, you wont ever have to adjust valves (like other bikes), and that almost makes up for the swingarm bearings you'll replace every 30000 miles. maintenance schmaintenance.

tires are only slightly more expensive than you think. thanks to the innertubes. which are required on spoked wheels. spoked wheels look great if they're straight. all the more reason to never ride your hard-as-nails nightster because potholes can indeed bend spoked wheels. less riding leaves more time for cleaning those awesome spokes. and, you can always drink an ultra-cool PBR (non-profit organization who rebrands Miller products) while shining your new nightster because you sure wont be riding it while drunk (i hope).

with the nightsters' lowered suspension you'll have a reason to dig out grandpa's old kidney belt. no need to mince words here: only the hardcore can ride a bike like this (wink wink. knowing glance. secret handshake.)

honestly, the nightster isn't a very good motorcycle. i've owned one for 40,000 miles and i think my buying dollars could have been better spent on a bike for every-day riding, and a homebuilt chopper.

Old 10-02-2009 | 10:33 PM
Grammaton
Road Master

Originally Posted by Certainteed
heres a review:
[snipped for brevity]
honestly, the nightster isn't a very good motorcycle. i've owned one for 40,000 miles and i think my buying dollars could have been better spent on a bike for every-day riding, and a homebuilt chopper.
Nothing that a nice bubble bath won't fix, huh?

Old 10-02-2009 | 10:44 PM
goinsideways136
Road Captain

heres a review:

it looks fantastic parked with its rear tire against the curb. riding it is fun, if you never ever go anywhere. its super-fast, compared to all the other tractor-type motorcycles.

handling is excellent if you don't treat it like a motorcycle. in the right hands, its capable of cornering as well if not better than most minivans. when leaned over on its jiffy-stand, few bikes can compare!

maintenance is nothing to worry about. just take it to harley, plunk down your money, and all your worries are gone. sure, you wont ever have to adjust valves (like other bikes), and that almost makes up for the swingarm bearings you'll replace every 30000 miles. maintenance schmaintenance.

tires are only slightly more expensive than you think. thanks to the innertubes. which are required on spoked wheels. spoked wheels look great if they're straight. all the more reason to never ride your hard-as-nails nightster because potholes can indeed bend spoked wheels. less riding leaves more time for cleaning those awesome spokes. and, you can always drink an ultra-cool PBR (non-profit organization who rebrands Miller products) while shining your new nightster because you sure wont be riding it while drunk (i hope).

with the nightsters' lowered suspension you'll have a reason to dig out grandpa's old kidney belt. no need to mince words here: only the hardcore can ride a bike like this (wink wink. knowing glance. secret handshake.)

I have to agree. its all about the look not the ride....

Old 10-03-2009 | 12:26 AM
snacks63
Tourer

maybe you should trade your bike in for a new lazy-boy and a tv and just stay home and relax,

Old 10-03-2009 | 12:36 AM
goinsideways136
Road Captain

Originally Posted by snacks63
maybe you should trade your bike in for a new lazy-boy and a tv and just stay home and relax,

ummm maybe you should get on your bike and ride.

i have...about 20,000 miles. i have a pretty good opinion on riding a nightster.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...-oklahoma.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...laska-vid.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...s-of-pics.html

Last edited by goinsideways136; 10-03-2009 at 12:42 AM.
Old 10-03-2009 | 01:12 AM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Grammaton
Nothing that a nice bubble bath won't fix, huh?
as long as it include a really sweet cigar and a bland scotch. or, a really bland cigar and a decent burbon.

i think there should be a law that prohibits anyone from writing a motorcycle review until they've taken the bike-in-question on a trip that includes a mid-trip oil change and at least one flat tire.

cause you don't really get to know a bike till the napa guy says "i think this will fit".... or you ride 5mph on a flat cause how-the-fck else are you going to find a shop out here?

i'm not knocking anyones choices but my own.

Old 10-03-2009 | 02:55 AM
silvabjeffrey
Intermediate

an honest reply...

I just got my Iron in June and the longest ride I've been on in one session is 75 miles. But, thats what I bought the bike for; rides for here and there, for short cruises, and for a cheap thrill after a long day of work. So the bike suits me. Now would I drive this bike from San Jose, CA to San Diego? Never that.

Old 10-03-2009 | 09:23 AM
Grammaton
Road Master

cause you don't really get to know a bike till the napa guy says "i think this will fit".... or you ride 5mph on a flat cause how-the-fck else are you going to find a shop out here?
I don't know what that has to do with a Sportster.

i'm not knocking anyones choices but my own.
I didn't get that from your "review" or your response to my jab.

Maybe it's the cigars you're smoking in the bath. I suggest an Oliva Serie "V". It'll make your troubles disappear (for an hour at least).

Old 10-03-2009 | 11:34 AM
cHarley
Club Member

Originally Posted by goinsideways136
ummm maybe you should get on your bike and ride.

i have...about 20,000 miles. i have a pretty good opinion on riding a nightster.
I think his point is probably, enjoy it while you're young. After 20 or 30 years of riding, beating your bones to death cross country on a bike with next to no suspension, does begin to loose its glamor.

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson Nightster Sportster Review article