Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Davidson Nightster Sportster Review article

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009 | 04:45 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member

thats a great pic. i was outside of williamsburg va. i did 1700 miles that weekend... last march? she got the filet and i got crab-stuffed lobster. wasn't cheap but she bought me a bottle of decent scotch, which is a fair trade.

in the real photo theres a brown paper bag in the pocket of the duffel. i saw it on the road and put my foot down, thinking there was an empty can inside, and it would go flying off the road. instead, it stuck to my boot. so i reached down, grabbed the bag off my boot, and crammed it into my back pocket. i never even slowed down.

my lady goes hysterical when she tells the story. always gets a good laugh.

thanks for making my awesomness the point of this thread.

Old 10-13-2009 | 09:30 PM
greenstreetbob
Road Master

The saddest part is that you think anyone gives a **** how cool you think you are in your little hillbilly world. I have considered what insults I could throw at you, but it would be too easy and frankly, I'm getting too old to entertain tools that think they are grown men just because they tell everyone how wonderful they are.

The bottom line is that you have a bike that you have ridden 40,000 miles, you hate it and are apparently too stupid to get rid of it. The fact that it is your only transportation doesn't mean you are hard core, it simply means you are stupid and have made poor decisions in life. Get a grip.

Originally Posted by Certainteed
thats a great pic. i was outside of williamsburg va. i did 1700 miles that weekend... last march? she got the filet and i got crab-stuffed lobster. wasn't cheap but she bought me a bottle of decent scotch, which is a fair trade.

in the real photo theres a brown paper bag in the pocket of the duffel. i saw it on the road and put my foot down, thinking there was an empty can inside, and it would go flying off the road. instead, it stuck to my boot. so i reached down, grabbed the bag off my boot, and crammed it into my back pocket. i never even slowed down.

my lady goes hysterical when she tells the story. always gets a good laugh.

thanks for making my awesomness the point of this thread.

Old 10-13-2009 | 10:32 PM
goinsideways136
Road Captain

Originally Posted by greenstreetbob
The saddest part is that you think anyone gives a **** how cool you think you are in your little hillbilly world. I have considered what insults I could throw at you, but it would be too easy and frankly, I'm getting too old to entertain tools that think they are grown men just because they tell everyone how wonderful they are.

The bottom line is that you have a bike that you have ridden 40,000 miles, you hate it and are apparently too stupid to get rid of it. The fact that it is your only transportation doesn't mean you are hard core, it simply means you are stupid and have made poor decisions in life. Get a grip.

damn bud sounding a little bitter...

Old 10-14-2009 | 05:29 AM
greenstreetbob
Road Master

Not bitter at all. I don't even ride a Sportster. We bought the gf one. The OP asked for opinions on the bike and just took it as an opportunity to be a jerk. If he can't take it, he shouldn't put himself out there like that. I didn't mean to offend members of his fan club.

Last edited by greenstreetbob; 10-14-2009 at 05:56 AM.
Old 10-16-2009 | 08:46 PM
Krlyman
Novice

Oh, come on. It can't end here! Oh yeah, I have a Nightster but only 900 miles on it. But I can totally relate to the fun it brings. Traded my Honda in on it and have never looked back. The rides a little rough, especially here in Milwaukee with all of the crappy concrete pavement.

And this isn't a town that you ride a bike all year in. Trust me. Hard to push through 3 feet of snow in the morning. Just throw on another cup of coffee and enjoy your time off from work.

Old 10-16-2009 | 09:19 PM
RATROD HOG
Road Warrior

what about the review ?
damn this is some good reading,but jerking into my riding time. grow up!!!!!!!!

Old 10-17-2009 | 09:16 AM
Krlyman
Novice

Originally Posted by RATROD HOG
what about the review ?
damn this is some good reading,but jerking into my riding time. grow up!!!!!!!!
This is awesome that you took a shot at me too. Now I feel like a part of the gang.

Review? Engine: it's a standard 1200 Evo. Plenty of torque and rapid acceleration.
Transmission/clutch: A little touchy, sometimes it's hard to get into neutral. Shifts smoothly and engages smoothly. It would be nice to have a tach or gear indicator though. But then, it wouldn't be the basic bike it's meant to be.
Suspension: It's meant to handle well, so the stiff suspension is part of the package. It wasn't designed as a cruiser so it is bearable for short rides. I put a La Pera seat on it and no change. Perhaps the gel package would have helped for rides over 1 hour. I'm going to adjust the rear shocks to see if I can soften the ride a bit without affecting the handling.
No Chrome: That's one of the reasons I like the Nightster, minimal chrome. It's a motor with a seat and two wheels. Unpretentious. I wish the pipes had come in black instead of chrome.
Overall: I like it. The bike is a tribute to the motorbikes of the past that make Americana. That's one of the reasons HD is important to the culture of America. It's not a plastic and noisey bike trying to emulate the HD. It's real and it has a real lineage. When you own and ride a HD, you are part of a family with pride and comraderie that is not found anywhere else. Even if it consists and jabs and little punches, we are still family.

Old 10-18-2009 | 03:48 AM
raztec
Cruiser

I've got nearly 10,000 miles on my black '08 Nightster and have pretty well loved every minute riding it. However, you really do need to change the rear shocks (critical) and perhaps upgrade the seat (not critical).

Because of its relatively light weight and small, but powerful package, it is an absolute delight to burn around town. The seating position with forward controls couldn't be better and the looks are simply killer. I get way more compliments on it than my Repsol edition Honda CBR1000RR which is no ugly duckling.

I'm really not sure what HD could do to improve on the bike other than the shocks. It's raw and minimalist design, retro looks, lowered seating but upright riding positions all lend to a bike that screams to be ridden.

Truly, it's destined to become a classic. And mark my words it will as HD will probably screw it up by catering to the people who demand more comforts.

Raz

Old 12-01-2009 | 11:35 AM
GunnyZ
Stage III

http://picasaweb.google.com/GunnyZar...akotaSept2009#

As for long trips, the bike will work but is not the best option. i've done many crosscountry camping trips on mine.

Old 09-04-2012 | 05:20 PM
Firealex
Intermediate

I have owned mine for 2 years love it the only issue I have had is holding battery charge they tell me it's a bad stator or voltage regulator going to try that otherwise its a bitching bike great looks and hauls ***.