Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Davidson Nightster Sportster Review article

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009 | 08:01 PM
vtnightster
Tourer

Buy a bike with little suspension, or better yet remove the shocks and then whine about the ride, i dunno about why, but whatever.
the bike is what it is, and what it is, is a head turner and fun to mod.
all bikes cost cash to mod.
just the way it is. torque=dollars.
I like mine and that's all that matters to me.
Then again i got SG too. heheh

Old 10-06-2009 | 02:03 AM
QtrSawnBiker51
Stage I

My first bike after a 25 year hiatus, was an 07 Nightster. From the first moment I saw an ad for one, I had to have it. I was lucky enough to find someone like you that was extremely disatisfied with the bike. So I got an almost brand new bike for almost 3000 grand off the sticker. The horrible rear shocks were no surprise, as I had done my homework ( I read the reviews ) Of course, I had adjusted the rear shocks first, and found out that doing that made them almost livable. But I invested in fairly inexpensive set of Progressive's, and a new seat. Those 2 things give you a great bike. Never had the first mechanical problem. It was a blast to ride. After one ride to Daytona and back ( only 150 miles ) I knew this was no touring bike. I ultimately traded it in for a Street Bob ( and then a V-Rod, and then a Softail Deluxe ) Maybe the lesson both of us should learn, is rent one before you buy one. Guess what? Of all the bikes I've owned, the Nightster is the one I miss most, and would buy again. But just for around town. Used of course.

Last edited by QtrSawnBiker51; 10-06-2009 at 02:05 AM. Reason: miss spelling
Old 10-09-2009 | 11:18 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member

It's my first bike, first harley I love it and ride everywhere with it. I just wish my spokes wouldnt rust so easily. I also notice rust build up along the angles of the fender and the rims (like the black paint is chipping off cuz its too sharp of an angle to apply paint to) i fix it and clean it up every couple weeks but its the only thing I worry about in the future of the bike.
Other than that I 2-up allot of the time and still find it comfortable. To each his own I guess. But i have done some upgrades to it to get that comfort

All-in-all I plan to keep this bike forever and just buy a bigger model for road trips lasting longer than 5 hrs

Old 10-09-2009 | 12:30 PM
catlkn
Road Captain

Honestly, I wish all the people that bitch about how bad their Nightster rides would just trade it in for a bagger! Anyone who thinks they can pay 9k for a new Harley and feel like they are riding on a cloud is delusional.

That being said, I love mine and have never been the least bit uncomfortable riding it.

Old 10-10-2009 | 12:26 AM
capitalist_slave
Road Warrior

First off....

Certainteed is the kinda guy that would bitch about a blow job, take his critique with a grain of salt.
He's about to trade his Nightster for a Buell, so that's like expecting to get a favorable opinion of a husband from a wife that's been banging the pool boy for a coupla months.

Second, the Nighster is a great bike for what it is.
It's my first bike, i've got <10k on it. I like it for afternoon drives, bar-hopping, running into town, and weekend road trips. Most miles i've put on it in in a single day would be around 400.
It's no touring bike, but it's a damn good two-wheeled, fuel-injected, suicide machine for under $10k.
Fun to customize, always get's compliments, and i step off of it with a smile on my face every time i ride. Waited a year and a half before pulling the trigger on my 1200N so i knew i made the right choice before i even cranked it up.

It's not the bike for everyone...
...luckily there's lot's of other choices out their from race-ready sport bikes to grandpa-ready trikes.

Old 10-10-2009 | 11:05 AM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member

give me a bj and if i bitch, you can spit.

if ya'll were bikers you'd hate the bike. owning a nightster is like having the hottest chick on the block but she can't cook, is allergic to sex, and she snores so loud the dog whines.

if by some miracle i get to trade for a buell, and the buell turns out to be a piece of crap, you can expect me to say so. i'm an honest *******.

Old 10-10-2009 | 12:39 PM
capitalist_slave
Road Warrior
Wink

Originally Posted by Certainteed
give me a bj and if i bitch, you can spit.

if ya'll were bikers you'd hate the bike. owning a nightster is like having the hottest chick on the block but she can't cook, is allergic to sex, and she snores so loud the dog whines.

if by some miracle i get to trade for a buell, and the buell turns out to be a piece of crap, you can expect me to say so. i'm an honest *******.
I'll tell ya what, if you'd change your sig pic so we didn't have to see your face and purdy mouth every time you posted i just might think about it for the common good of the board.

Sadly most of us here in the Sportster section aren't hard-*** bikers like yourself.
We really want to be, we're aching for your approval, that's why we got our Nightsters in the first place.
Now this whole 'wanting to get an Adventure bike' thing is really throwing us for a loop.
We're all waiting on eggshells to see if you'll bring home a shiny, new Ulysses so we can all go trade in our Sporty's... we're all hoping they'll honor that full-msrp trade-in price deal at the Buell stealership... or maybe we can all do it at the same time and get some kinda HDForums 'Group Buy' deal from Buell.

If you're wanting to trade your 'cheerleader' for the homely girl on the cross-country team, go ahead. The rest of us will buy ours a cookbook, get her buzzed on Smirnoff, and we're already half-deaf from our pipes so the snoring won't be a problem

... and from one a-hole to another, joking aside, i do appreciate your honest opinions.

Last edited by capitalist_slave; 10-10-2009 at 04:55 PM. Reason: *Nightster
Old 10-10-2009 | 01:55 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member

well as long as everybody's an a-hole and honest about it.....

Old 10-10-2009 | 02:08 PM
MaroSteve
Cruiser

Originally Posted by capitalist_slave
If you're wanting to trade your 'cheerleader' for the homely girl on the cross-country team, go ahead. The rest of us will buy ours a cookbook, get her buzzed on Smirnoff, and we're already half-deaf from our pipes so the snoring won't be a problem

... and from one a-hole to another, joking aside, i do appreciate your honest opinions.
this is possibly the best post I have ever seen.

Old 10-10-2009 | 06:59 PM
SHTFIT
Road Captain

Originally Posted by catlkn
Honestly, I wish all the people that bitch about how bad their Nightster rides would just trade it in for a bagger! Anyone who thinks they can pay 9k for a new Harley and feel like they are riding on a cloud is delusional.

That being said, I love mine and have never been the least bit uncomfortable riding it.
Gotta say I love mine too. It does what it's supposed to do. 'Course, a multitude of bikes are better handlers, better tourers, etc but, I still get on the Nightster every day and love the sh*t outta it.

For handling and a taste of something different, I'd love to pick up a Ducati Monster 696 or a Moto Guzzi Griso one day as a 2nd bike!

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson Nightster Sportster Review article