Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake light always lit, what does this mean?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 10:07 PM
Nixon1200
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake light always lit, what does this mean?

Hey all. my brake light is constantly lit on my 07 1200c. is this i simple adjustment or is this telling me its time for new brakes? please let me know what yall think.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:16 PM
gpershall
Advanced

If your bike is like my Ultra check the brake switch in the handlebar lever housing. Bet it's broke. Did you happen to recently take the lever housing apart?

Old 09-30-2009, 10:23 PM
Nixon1200
Novice

i did replace the control levers less than recently. that could have damaged something do you think?

Old 10-01-2009, 12:36 AM
Filmy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Nixon1200
i did replace the control levers less than recently. that could have damaged something do you think?
That's more than likely the problem. It's a plunger switch, which your front brake lever compresses when not in use, leaving the switch "open". When you squeeze the lever, the plunger expands and the switch grounds/closes - making brake lights happen.

You'll probably need a new switch from the dealer - they're not very expensive and usually in stock. And do a search on using a small piece of cardboard to hold the lever down while you install the switch into the housing.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:10 AM
BradNailer
Cruiser

What's happened is that the tip of the nub that sticks out of the housing has broken off. If you don't want to replace the switch you can glue on a little piece of plastic to replace the bit that broke off.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:00 AM
guitarman023
Road Master

Originally Posted by BradNailer
What's happened is that the tip of the nub that sticks out of the housing has broken off. If you don't want to replace the switch you can glue on a little piece of plastic to replace the bit that broke off.

haha, now you sound like me, I'm a budget biker. I've got a big glob of solder on each of the bolts right now on my starter solenoid to keep it working until tear down this winter.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:00 AM
drummer
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every thing I wanted to say has already been said.
It aint no step for a stepper...You'll get it resolved.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:52 AM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

That happened to me, and in my case there was nothing broken, the issue is that the switch is on the engine start/turn signal control housing, and what actuates the switch is a protuberance in the brake lever (a separate housing also) that constantly touches the switch, and when you squeeze the level you pull it away from the switch, causing it to close the circuit, so.. in my case, from playing with the handlebar, I actually separated both housings too much, causing the switch to be on the closed contact position at all times... just try to loosen the brake lever housing and get it closer to the ignition control housing........ I hope this helps...

Old 10-01-2009, 10:21 AM
Steeler
Road Captain
Default Switch blues

I was ultra carful with the swith when replacing the handlebars and still new bars on and my brake lights were still on.I then stuck some rubber stip you know the kind with adheasive on one side,just a small block .to the little lever,remember to turn on the ignition so you can see if the light goes off once you have assembled the housing correctlly.
Good luck.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:14 AM
fastkevin
Tourer

Originally Posted by BradNailer
Same thing happened to me when I changed bars on my XR. Seems to be quite common. If you're not ready for it, you WILL bust the end off the plunger. The replacement is about $60 from the dealer, and it comes with a length of wire which you need to splice in. No 'plug-and-play'.

Quick Reply: brake light always lit, what does this mean?