Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

your commute - mine is awesome

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 09:04 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: your commute - mine is awesome

One word for mine:

SUCKS!

Have to deal with construction traffic, idiots, women doing their nails (while driving, go figure), people reading, teenagers who have no clue how to drive, red lights, stop and go traffic, people broken down in the center lane, did I mention construction traffic?, and senior citizens who should not be out in rush hour!

Wow, this is like therapy for me. I feel so much better......ahhhh. This is why I drive a big 'ol Expedition back and forth to work. For me, riding is done on the weekends and evenings. Its dangerous out there and in my area, someone is always getting hurt or worse on a bike....Sad but true. Need to move out to the country...

Old 06-22-2006, 09:12 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Whaap...Whether interpreted wrong or not, this is awesome advice. Definitely worth everyone reading. We should start a safety tips post on here. Good way to learn new things or old things that we have forgotten...Thanks for the advice.

ORIGINAL: whaap

If you are, DON'T. In twisties or even straight and level, do not travel along side any vehicle, (car, truck, bus, etc.) Even though in different lanes, stay behind far enough that if he makes a lane change it will not jeopardize you. If you want to pass, do it quickly (accelerate) and don't just gradually pass alongside. Once you're far enough in front of him that his lane change would not be a threat to you, you can slow back down to what you would consider your normal speed.

If you develope this as a habit you will have eliminated just about 50% of the threats you face on the road.

Old 06-22-2006, 10:00 PM
p2pants
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

25 mile each way. I ride in your tipical urban rush hour traffic. Just today I was behind a female cager who was stairing at people filling up at a gas station and not paying attention to the lights. I honked and honked but she didn't hear my whimpy horn. Will be getting some loud horns for my next upgrade. : )

Old 06-22-2006, 10:57 PM
sealbeachbum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

30 miles each way on the 405 freeway from Orange County CA to Los Angeles International Airport. I work the swing shift so I don't have much traffic going to work (the heavy traffic is going southbound that time of day) and no traffic coming home at 1:00 am. I ride in the carpool lane on the way up which I like because it isolates me from most of the freeway traffic. The flow of traffic in the carpool lane is normaly around 75 - 80 MPH! Yee Haw! The best part is, my SUV was costing me $600 a month in gas. Now that I have my Sporty I'm only spending about $100 a month for gas. My motorcycle payment is a little less than $250 a month, so that meens not only is my bike FREE it is actualy paying me $250 a month! Yes, life is good!

Old 06-22-2006, 11:33 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About 26 miles each way in serious traffic each way. It takes about an hour to get in and anywhere from 1-2 hours to get home. Sitting in the hot Houston humidity sucks big time. And I ride everyday. I can't afford not to with these gas prices. (That is, when my bike's not in the shop like it is now).

Old 06-23-2006, 04:16 AM
Tralfaz
Road Master

ORIGINAL: whaap

Tralfaz, you suggest that the distance between you and a car alongside you seems more intimidating in the curves when you're in a car ? That would suggest to me that you have gone thru some of the twisties on your bike while you were next to a car in the other lane.
My bad on mixing up what I was saying. Definately excellent advice, and I certainly have not, and would not get into the turn next to a car. The main point I was making is that the space in those turns feels much more confining in a car, whether or not a car is next to me. However, if a car is next to me (while in my car), it feels that much more claustrophobic.

As a side note, I have been reading Proficient Motorcycling, so I'm definately learning about playing it safe and avoiding any situations that "could" turn into a problem, rather than avoiding situations that "are" a problem. I'm about half way through the book, and I've been putting the lessons from it into practice in the evening when the traffic is lighter. The break-in instructions for the Sportster recommend not doing quick stops early in the break-in period, so I havn't worked on stopping on a dime yet, but I'm practicing everything else I can from the MSF class, and from the book.

Old 06-23-2006, 06:09 AM
scrappy883r
Outstanding HDF Member

my ride to work is 2 and 1/2 miles. my ride home is between 15 and 40. I take the real long way home.

Old 06-23-2006, 08:59 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

About 7 miles to work. Not enough time to enjoy the ride but still I ride.

Old 06-23-2006, 11:30 AM
Ex11b
Advanced

Im getting ready for my first street bike, and first time riding in over 15 years, i will be commuting 55 miles one way.
It is all highway driving, the morning run will be ez, because ill be leaving at 430 am, and no traffic, the afternoon will be a bit more challenging.
This is both a good excuse to get a bike (gas mileage) and a dream realized.
I loved being on bikes in my teens, and never had the money or time to get a bike. Now I sold my house, made a bundle on the sale, and needed to find a commuter vehicle, and realized this would be perfect for me.
wish me luck, i start a beginners riding/safety course today.

Old 06-24-2006, 04:04 AM
LittleBsMomma
Tourer

My commute is about 32 miles one way of mostly highway w/ some surface streets. I live in a pretty small town though, so there isn't a lot of traffic getting to the highway and not to bad on the highway, but the rocks and dirt kicked up by the big-rigs (hgwy is main truck route thru Central Oregon) sure does hurt the face[:@] Oregon is a beautiful place to ride and live, was in So. Cal til 2 years ago and would never go back.