Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

music options while on a sporty?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 05:50 PM
MechsHands
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question music options while on a sporty?

Hey everyone,

I searched the forums all the way back about 3 years on this subject but I didn't find any decent answers. I figured I would ask to see if anyone recently has done anything along these lines.

I went on my first long trip today about 7 hours worth of riding after the couple stops. Here is the post I made about it.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...he-dragon.html

However I realized I was really missing having some music along. Especially the 2 hour freeway trip home.

Has anyone found a decent way of setting up an ipod/mp3 player on their sporty? I've looked at intercom systems but they are spendy and I don't expect to use one too much. I tried headphones but I didn't like the pressure on some points on my head. I also have never cared for ear buds and couldnt get oen pair in with my helmet.

Can anyone help or give any pointers? I expect to take vacation in a couple weeks and weather permitting I will be doing day trips of 200-300 miles a day. I'd love to do it with my music along too.

Thanks
MH

Old 09-25-2009, 06:37 PM
203Cree
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Sing.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:00 PM
Mandog
Road Master

http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go...D/31/IMID/1070

Amplified speakers....just plug in your ipod and away you go

Old 09-25-2009, 07:34 PM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

Helmet speakers in a 3/4 helmet, like these:
http://www.whitehorsepress.com/produ...oducts_id=4987
I also use an in-line amplifier (the "Revolution"), from here:
http://boostaroo.com/
Of course, a Google search will produce other options. It's not Carnegie Hall, but my singing hurts my ears. Nothing mucking-up my bike and I don't need a windshield either. Easy, fast install and goes on any bike I'm riding. Also, I got a 12 volt outlet pig-tail from Walmart that plugs into my Battey Tender plug that's hard wired under my seat which enables me to charge my MP3 player (cell phone, camera, etc.) via USB adapter when travelling and camping.
Two helmet speakers are legal in my state. Two ear buds would be illegal. Ear buds, speakers and legality vary from state to state.

Last edited by HarleyScuba; 09-25-2009 at 07:36 PM. Reason: nunya
Old 09-25-2009, 08:27 PM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the ear buds, work great for me. I can not see speakers on a sporty. ear buds and run the wire down your shirt.
Another you can use is oakley O-Rockers. I tried them but after 45mph you coule no longer hear the music because of the wind. ear buds go inside the ear and keeps the wind out. If you do choose ear buds, only use one ear so you can still hear traffic.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:47 AM
WVleo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tunes

Hi, I use to ride with My ear buds but that got old fast, so I also wanted tunes while riding. I went with this and it works great for Me. I wear a 1/2 helmet and can hear even at highway speeds tho it's " not lke being there sound LOL " . They now make a 250 watt amp that a guy I ride with uses and likes also.
http://www.gooddeals18.com/product/S...radio_pkg.html

I am not affiliated with this product, I just use the system.....WVleo

Old 09-26-2009, 05:01 AM
tiger_rider
Tourer

I use earplugs when I ride trying to preserve what hearing I have left. For long trips, when I want to listen to music I use Etymotic ER6i headphones. They have great sound isolation so act as good earplugs, they are comfortable enough for me to use them all day and they have great sound. When fitted in my ear they barely stick out at all so I've had no problem using them with a tight fitting helmet.

I found the cheapest place to get them was Amazon at about $65. I fly frequently and use them on the plane to get rid of background noise. I've even used them as ear plugs on the bike without music.

I've also tried the Shure e2c, which were my previous airplane headphones but they were less comfortable and stuck out of my ear more and caused problems with my helmet.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:19 AM
atlantaallen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I spent a lot of money before I found the solution of custom earphones. see: http://www.earplugco.com/prod01.htm

They are just like custom fit earplugs except wired for sound. They are comfortable, cut out outside wind and engine noise, and give you tunes.

The may be illegal in some states but I've never heard of that being enforced with these because they are the same as earplugs. I guess if stopped unplug tunes quick.

You can get them locally from a hearing aid store in about 2 weeks after a 15 minute fitting where the make a mold in your ear. When you get your wired set back they will also include the mold which can be used as just earplugs. Total cost $165.

I wasted twice that trying to find a cheaper alternative none of which were ever really satisfactory.

Good ridin.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:57 AM
Sanders
Advanced

The sound of my pipes is all the music I need...

Old 09-26-2009, 10:24 AM
THE YETI
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Sanders
The sound of my pipes is all the music I need...
This.

Quick Reply: music options while on a sporty?