Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know how much stock slip on's weigh?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 06:07 PM
SportsterPapa
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know how much stock slip on's weigh?

Just curious, does anyone know the weight of the stock slip on's (on an 09 XL1200C).
Read somewhere that an exhaust change to an aftermarket not only gives you the opportunity for a hp gain via a Stage 1 type modification, but this poster said his exhaust system was now 20 lbs lighter (that weight loss could yield as much as a 3 hp gain because of the engine displacement to weight ratio ). When people are saying their stage 1 really made a difference, I am thinking weight may also have come into play?

Old 09-21-2009, 07:25 AM
Grammaton
Road Master

I don't what they actually weigh, but they're much heavier than the V&H slip-ons that replaced them. I would guess the bike is easily fifteen pounds lighter.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:37 AM
SportsterPapa
Cruiser
Default kinda supports what this guy said...

Originally Posted by Grammaton
I don't what they actually weigh, but they're much heavier than the V&H slip-ons that replaced them. I would guess the bike is easily fifteen pounds lighter.
That kinda supports what this guy said, "He said when he replaced his stock exhaust not only did he get the gains on the free flow compared with stock, but he lost 20 lbs. of weight (that weight loss could transfer into the "feeling" of an additional 2 to 3 hp)... Something to consider. I saw an Amazon ad that quoted a shipping weight of 22 pounds for V & H slip on's. I wonder what the stock would be (shipping weight)?

Old 09-21-2009, 11:21 AM
Grammaton
Road Master

Originally Posted by SportsterPapa
That kinda supports what this guy said, "He said when he replaced his stock exhaust not only did he get the gains on the free flow compared with stock, but he lost 20 lbs. of weight (that weight loss could transfer into the "feeling" of an additional 2 to 3 hp)... Something to consider. I saw an Amazon ad that quoted a shipping weight of 22 pounds for V & H slip on's. I wonder what the stock would be (shipping weight)?
I was curious, so I just weighed one of my original mufflers on the bathroom scale: 6.5lbs
I know the V&H slip-ons are lighter because I had one of each in my hands amazed at how much lighter they were than stock.
Unless my scale is way off... the weight loss is going to be closer to ten pounds.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:30 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think 10 or 20 pounds = 3 horsepower. The Stage 1 retuning will give it better pep but the weight difference is negligible.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:36 PM
miami
Road Master
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

From v&h, the slips-on shipping weight is 14lbs, so deduct at least 3lbs for packaging for a total of 5 1/2lbs each pipe.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:44 PM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So you lose 1 whole lb for each pipe. Three HP improvement from a 2 lb weight loss? Not likely.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:13 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have my stock slip on's and a trashed set of Cycle Shack slip on's. I suppose I could check, and compare. But if you're that hung up about the weight and performance, just skip the cheeseburger, leave the bitch at home, etc etc.

I really don't think there is that much difference in the weight

Old 09-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Grammaton
Road Master

I don't think there's any measurable performance gain from a reduction in sprung weight. Especially with such a small reduction. If the wheels (un-sprung weight) were three pounds lighter that would probably be measurable in terms of acceleration. One gallon of gasoline weighs six or seven pounds (I think) and I can't tell any difference when I'm half empty.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:02 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Facts are that stock Nightster/Iron exhaust system weighs 22.5 lbs.

A V&H comp series 2:1 weighs ony 4.7 lbs.

That saves almost 18 lbs but offers only less than a pound of advantage per horsepower. The real gains are made afer installing the pipe and retuning.

That's why I just ordered the V&H comp 2:1 plus N4 cams, plus stage 2 heads plus 1250 kit.........Soon I will have 6.5 lb/hp vs present 12lb/hp.

Engines operate on math. Learn to do the math

Quick Reply: Anyone know how much stock slip on's weigh?