Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can Harley Void Your Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 02:20 PM
fixedmlc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CHarley, not trying to crap on your thread at all, and I'm not saying the strategies you've proposed don't or wouldn't work. But think of it this way: Something goes wrong with your bike, and it's going to cost XXX to fix. You want the warranty to cover it, but the dealer says no. You have choices- let the bike sit unrepaired and fight it out, possibly costing XXXX (more than the original repair), file a complaint with consumer affairs, get a lawyer, etc....or suck it up and pay the repair. (Come to think of it you could pay the repair then fight it out in court to get your money back, then you'd be riding again at least) It's a tough call either way.

When I got my Diesel truck, I thought about a programmer, then thought again because that warranty was too valuable to take a chance at having it voided, even though every programmer maker says they are covered by magnusson-moss if you ever have problems. What they don't, and won't, say is that they won't help you in that fight if your warranty is voided.

Pay to play. That's the motto.

I'm glad my bike is old and doesn't have a warranty. That way I don't have to try to reach in anyone else's pocket to get it fixed if something goes wrong. I probably just jinxed myself....

Old 09-18-2009, 02:31 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Look guys, the point of this thread was not "how to push" a worse case scenario situation. You will find HD dealers everywhere that will tell you everything under the sun will void your warranty.

The point I'm making here, is that in most cases, simply asking the person that makes these statements if they are familiar with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, will make most of them back pedal quickly.

I'm simply letting people know what rights and protections they have. What you choose to do with the information is up to you. Either way, it's your money and no sweat off my *****.

BTW, just because one dealer tells you something won't be covered by warranty, doesn't mean you'll get the same answer at another dealer down the road who knows better.

Last edited by cHarley; 09-18-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:59 PM
fixedmlc
Road Master

Now those are points I totally agree with!

Old 09-18-2009, 03:52 PM
Nightking
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like I said .. mention that law, and the dealer will not back up, they will cease to be as helpful, and ask you to leave. And , as I said before, anything you add to the bike that the dealer installed, get a written statement form them syaing they are covering the warranty if what they did fails or causes failure.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:11 PM
ryback
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nightking
Like I said .. mention that law, and the dealer will not back up, they will cease to be as helpful, and ask you to leave. And , as I said before, anything you add to the bike that the dealer installed, get a written statement form them syaing they are covering the warranty if what they did fails or causes failure.
That's interesting. I've had more than one dealer give me the (It will void your warranty) spiel and every time I asked if they kenw about Magnuson-Moss their story changed.

As cHarley said, if you don't like a dealers answer, find another one.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:12 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 21,409 Likes on 8,424 Posts

FREE OIL!!! Yee Haw!!

Old 09-18-2009, 04:13 PM
fixedmlc
Road Master

Originally Posted by JW1200
FREE OIL!!! Yee Haw!!

UUuuuuhhhhhh........heck, it's FRIDAY! Enjoy it!

Old 09-18-2009, 04:34 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's very important to know your consumer rights, but just as important to recognize
their limitations.

As I said, search this forum for "Medusa" to see just what can happen if you have
problems with your bike and you've done some sort of mod that a stealer can hang
a denial on.

As an INFORMED consumer, (and it's good to know about MM's provisions),
you may decide that whatever you want to do to your bike is important enough
to you that you'll accept the risk that you might wind up behind the 8-ball.
That's what choice is all about.

But you also have to recognize that once you start messin' with any kind of
mechanical or electronic product, you've probably opened the door to a denial
of warranty.