Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If HD does it, "Stage 1" is kind of pricey...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 10:40 AM
SportsterPapa
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If HD does it, "Stage 1" is kind of pricey...

The service guy got back to me on my stage 1 install questions/quote.
If my local HD folks do it it's $460 for the stage 1 SE kit installed and the remap and he offered these pipe options (and SE):
RINHARTS 665.00 INSTALLED
KERKERS 620.00 INSTALLED EHX TIPS ARE INCLUDED
RUSH 1 PIECE 480.00 INSTALLED
RUSH W/ TIPS 650.00 INSTALLED
So it would be as high as $1,100+ and then plus tax.

Question is what do you think a similar upgrade would cost at an independent shop?

Old 09-16-2009, 11:07 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Since the stage 1 remap is worth about $150.00, that means your paying $300.00+ bucks for the (plastic) SE A/C installed.

Why not use an Arlen Ness BS which is ~$150.00 and a set of Cycle Shack Slip-On's at ~$150.00?

The install is pretty easy, but if you can't handle it, an Indy could probably install the pipes & A/C for ~2 hours labor.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:12 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I know is that it was gonna cost me around $1600 to have a local custom shop do mine (with V&H) the dealer was more expensive than that as well. That's when I said SCREW IT and chose to do it myself. I saved over $400 on the pipes alone and installing them myself. next comes the tuner and the intake change. Those are my winter mods

Old 09-16-2009, 11:27 AM
crazytrain69
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My advice is to do the complete stage 1 yourself and save a butt ton of $$$$$. Adding the tuner will have to put it on the Dyno to get the correct air/fuel mixture. once you have it fine tuned on that machine it will run much better and cooler. the upgrade is very easy and if you can turn a wrench you will have it done in no time all.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:38 AM
dlhike
Cruiser
Default stage 1 upgrade...

I went with SE slipons, and the SE stage 1 air...found web sight(Harley dealer online) 20 % cheaper than local shops. Got a local shop to price match - so roughly 115 for breather kit, 210 for exhaust, installed myself in about 1 1/2 hours(wife kept talking to me - she's good at that). The dealer did stage 1 download for $150 no labor since I bought parts there. So about 475.00 give or take for all and can't believe how much better bike runs.
Gonna add a few other mods, RK shocks and Flyscreen next week.
Then maybee in a year or so when I can afford it - V&H straightshots, V&H Duke, and SERT with Dyno...
Try wheeling and dealing with the dealer...

Old 09-16-2009, 11:38 AM
SportsterPapa
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cHarley
Since the stage 1 remap is worth about $150.00, that means your paying $300.00+ bucks for the (plastic) SE A/C installed.

Why not use an Arlen Ness BS which is ~$150.00 and a set of Cycle Shack Slip-On's at ~$150.00?

The install is pretty easy, but if you can't handle it, an Indy could probably install the pipes & A/C for ~2 hours labor.
I didn't ask the Independent fellow if he could do the remap (is that a dealer service only)?

Silly Question (but I don't know) if I have an independent do the air cleaner & the pipes what does the bike run like until I do the remap at the dealer if the independent can't do the ecm/efi remap when he does the pipes and air cleaner?

Old 09-16-2009, 11:43 AM
SportsterPapa
Cruiser
Default My wrench limits...

Originally Posted by crazytrain69
My advice is to do the complete stage 1 yourself and save a butt ton of $$$$$. Adding the tuner will have to put it on the Dyno to get the correct air/fuel mixture. once you have it fine tuned on that machine it will run much better and cooler. the upgrade is very easy and if you can turn a wrench you will have it done in no time all.
I don't know if I could do it? I have done little things like risers and run the horn relay wires etc on a few bikes. All with pretty good directions and fitment.
Maybe if I read up more on Arlen Ness "Big Sucker" installation & Cycle Shack slip ons I might feel like giving it a try (the difference in cost is a lot).
The tuning after those installs would be another thing. I don't have a clue on that stuff. The bike is running so nice right now... I don't know?
Sure I'd like a bit more oomph! (I just came off a bike with a 100 hp); but I do not want to screw this Sportster up.
I will mull it over for a few days

Old 09-16-2009, 11:44 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by SportsterPapa
I didn't ask the Independent fellow if he could do the remap (is that a dealer service only)?

Silly Question (but I don't know) if I have an independent do the air cleaner & the pipes what does the bike run like until I do the remap at the dealer if the independent can't do the ecm/efi remap when he does the pipes and air cleaner?
The dealer has to do the remap. If you have everything ready to go, I'd have the remap done first and then install the pipes & A/C.
It's better to run a little rich in between the 2 steps than too lean in between.

Last edited by cHarley; 09-16-2009 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:50 AM
SportsterPapa
Cruiser
Default Hadn't read your post until just now!

Originally Posted by dlhike
I went with SE slipons, and the SE stage 1 air...found web sight(Harley dealer online) 20 % cheaper than local shops. Got a local shop to price match - so roughly 115 for breather kit, 210 for exhaust, installed myself in about 1 1/2 hours(wife kept talking to me - she's good at that). The dealer did stage 1 download for $150 no labor since I bought parts there. So about 475.00 give or take for all and can't believe how much better bike runs.
Gonna add a few other mods, RK shocks and Flyscreen next week.
Then maybee in a year or so when I can afford it - V&H straightshots, V&H Duke, and SERT with Dyno...
Try wheeling and dealing with the dealer...
That seems more doable that trying to coordinate two service places (HD & an Independent). Buying the parts from HD would make them happy (a bit). I will ride over to them to talk later this week...
Your words "...and can't believe how much better bike runs..." is an enticement! The independent told me the difference wouldn't be that much (not real enthusiastic, he said do some head work). The HD service guy wrote "gains to be somewhere around 8% to 12%".
I ought to be able to feel even an 8% overall increase in power, no?

Old 09-16-2009, 11:54 AM
SportsterPapa
Cruiser
Default OK now I am understanding the sequence of events...

Originally Posted by cHarley
The dealer has to do the remap. If you have everything ready to go, I'd have the remap done first and then install the pipes & A/C.
It's better to run a little rich in between the 2 steps than too lean in between.
I am not familiar with HD dealers; can I hand them an Arlen Ness Big Sucker Air Cleaner and a set of Cycle Shack Slip Ons, and say install these and remap (or will they only install what they sell)?

Quick Reply: If HD does it, "Stage 1" is kind of pricey...