Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stripped primary inspection bolt and fix...PITA!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 08:34 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Stripped primary inspection bolt and fix...PITA!

So I was changing all the fluids for the Sporty so it will be all ready to go for out Vegas trip in a few weeks adn one of the primary inspection cover bolts stripped. At first I thought it would be a t-27, but low and behold taht size was too big. It's a t-25 on a 2005 model. The first came out fine but the second would not budge. Partially stripped I tried an impact driver drill and that sealed the deal and totally stripped it.

I changed the oil last time too and always refill through the inspection cover as 2 bolts are less than 7. So I guess I over torqued this bolt. Scratching my head, I called a friend and requested his help with this.

First we tried a chisel to loosen the bolt. No luck. Then we dremelled a slot and tried a chisel again for about 30 minutes. No luck. Finally we dremelled as much as we could off and drilled through the bolt.

One step back, I almost forgot. We tried an extractor first and while we were threading it into the bolt it snapped off in the bolt making everything that much more difficult. Finally Larry the genius managed to drill through the screw and we helicoiled the hole and put in new chrome bolts.

All in all it must have taken several hours to get this done. I've read numerous threads regarding using the correct size torx so as not to strip things and always thought that it would never happen to me. Never say never.

Now it's all fixed up again and I will never torque those down nearly as tight as they were. I've never had a problem with anything like this on my bike, torx or not.

Anyway, remember never say never.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:48 PM
crazytrain69
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a issue with the bolts on the derby cover and had the same luck. The bad part was 3 stripped. it took a while to get those suckers out.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:36 PM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

Same here. Two stripped bolt heads in the OL's '04 a few years back. I used a drill bit the size of the bolt threads and drilled just far enough to get rid of the bolt heads. The cover was able to be removed with the bolt studs left in their holes. Vise Grips got them out from there. No helicoil required.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:15 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Hmm, while the derby cover screws are T27 Torx, my inspection cover screws (stock) are hex head allens.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:39 AM
eazyrider
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Same deal here, I used a chisel to get mine out. ( Locktite my ***) I don't locktite nothing.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:54 AM
JustinDap
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh yeah, same type of thing happened to me, except my problem was when I dumped my bike in the drive way (dirt), it fell on the forward control and snapped it right off. Took me two hours to get that bolt out. Tried an easy out and broke that off in the bolt. I was finally able to get it out by taking a flat head screw driver and hitting the edge of the bolt to back it out. Glad that ordeal is over.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:55 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a stuck inspection cover bolt too that I haven't fixed yet. I had to remove the derby cover to do the last two fluid changes.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:56 AM
eazyrider
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Tried an easy out and broke that off in the bolt.
Man it's funny how many of of have done the same thing. maybe we should start a group or something.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:06 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've had 3 of those bolts that had to be extracted or drilled out. Currently have the problem again. I'm going to start considering these to be one time use only parts. They are only a few cents. Before I drill out the current one that is screwed up, I'm going to purchase about 10 of the stupid things so I will have always have one on hand when I need to remove the inspection cover.

Old 09-16-2009, 11:26 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by SportyPig
I've had 3 of those bolts that had to be extracted or drilled out. Currently have the problem again. I'm going to start considering these to be one time use only parts. They are only a few cents. Before I drill out the current one that is screwed up, I'm going to purchase about 10 of the stupid things so I will have always have one on hand when I need to remove the inspection cover.
Or, you can visit Ace Hardware and get the same screws in hex head (allen), chrome or SS, and never have the problem again. LOL

Quick Reply: Stripped primary inspection bolt and fix...PITA!