Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

highway riding

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 05:39 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

When it's cold I wear a 3/4 with a flip up clear shield. It was a while for me to find glasses that fit well with it. I had the same issues with others that posted on here.

I got mine from the HD dealership. Simple, black, light weight & reasonably priced. As was the full face I wore one time. I think I would've liked it but after having it on for 30 min or so I must have forgotten it was there because I chew Skoal and...well, the specifics are unnecessarily obvious.

My pipes are ALOT louder to me with the helmet on though...my only complaint if I had to come up with one.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:01 AM
crazytrain69
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of years ago i was on my way home from work with my half helmet on my head and things were going good until the last 15 minutes of the trip. I saw a glimps of something out the corner of my eyes and it happened. I got smacked right in the face with a crow while doing about 70 mph. (damn that hurt) broke my glasses, busted my lip and blooded my nose. That damn bird about took me and the bike out! never again will i wear a half helmet.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:30 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,167 Likes on 3,676 Posts

If you can find them the foam 20 Db earplugs are just enough to ease the pain of windnoise...I love to wear a shorty but it is affecting my hearing lately specially when i don't wear my headsets....I am wearing my FF a lot more but i have Music, CB, GPS, Bluetooth so it makes it a bit more enjoyable...Looks don't matter too much anymore...

Old 09-18-2009, 09:01 AM
username17
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wear a Modular with no earplugs or anything.

I don't like all the neon colored crotch rocket ones.
I found one at the Dealer which I liked and fit well.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/m...bmLocale=en_US

It's black with ghost flames on it. So mainly it just looks black.
Been thinking of going to full face, because the opening you look out of is smaller on a modular. It's not as wide because of the hinge mechanism.

When I turn my head to look behind me, the helmet gets in the way sometimes. And something that's disconcerting is on the chin of the helmet it says "This chin guard will not protect you in a crash". Makes me think, what's the point of a modular if it doesn't offer protection.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:44 AM
jmflh
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wear a 3/4 helmet with double visors, one clear the other tinted that can be tilted up when not used. I also wear earplugs and have converted many of my friends to wearing earplugs. Several good helmets are the Nolan N42/N43 with double shields. The newer Nolan now has a tinted shiled that recesses into the helmet. About two weeks ago I bought a HJC IS-33, less than $130 including sales tax. It has an integrated sunshield that recesses into the helmet when not needed. I always had trouble with pressure pain when I tried to wear a 3/4 helmet with sunglasses and found these two helmets to work great. Enjoy the ride!

Old 09-18-2009, 11:16 AM
danktat
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Something that I saw one of the instructors at my dojo do [that I never thought of] is wear a mouth piece. It was like the ones we had as kids on the football team where you boil it and mold it to your teeth. I never really considered the chatter it put on your teeth if the road isn't smooth. I haven't done it but been getting around to trying it. When I first saw him do it, I was like WTF is that. Then after thinking about it, it makes sense.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:39 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I use ear plugs in the summer when riding long distance wearing half helmet. No need for them when wearing full face helmet during the cold months.

As for the glasses, they don't fit properly. I've had several different pair of riding glasses, only one pair have I ever had the bouncing problem, it was improper fit. And I do a lot of highway riding.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:06 PM
bmorebhoy
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I wear sunglasses with an adjustable "granny" leash. I think they're Wiley X glasses, get darker in the sun and are near clear at night. My niece gives me grief about the leash but I can slide the bead into my head and tighten the leash so the glasses don't move. I electric taped the rubber "8" that attaches the leash to the glasses so it was at the top of the ear bar so the leash would run above my ears and wouldn't slide. Guys with full windscreen don't have the wind problem.
Chums also makes a great leash.