Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

highway riding

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 11:22 AM
mbwannabe1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like A7X, I wear earplugs if I'm gong to spend more than an hour at highway speeds. Otherwise, they just stay in my vest pocket. I wear a full face helmet on all rides, because that's all I own. I started wearing one 15 years ago when a neighbor had is jaw wired closed after an accident. I now know at least two other people who had to eat soup through a straw for the same reason.

I must wear prescription glasses to avoid the "driving while blind" scenario, but that was a consideration when selecting a helmet. The padding in my full face has a gap to keep from squeezing the frame, and the visor flips up easily to put my glasses on after putting my helmet on. I considered a modular helmet, but all of them seem too fragile, and I've seen a number of them fail at the hinges just in normal use.

If you can tolerate it at all, I recommend you give an honest effort to convert to a full face helmet. It's really a matter of what you get used to. Any change seems strange for a while.

Most of the guys I ride with wear turtle tops, and they kid me until it starts to rain. Along with the rain gear, they dig out bandannas and neoprene face masks, complaining that they can't breathe when the face cover gets wet. Afterward, they confess a desire to wear a full face too, but claim they feel too confined in one.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Cpitch
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wear a full face helmet most of the time...if you spend some $$ and get a good one, you'll realize that they are great in all weather conditions.

if confinement is an issue, i suggest you buy a modular style so that you can flip up the entire face portion converting the helmet into a temporary 3/4.

i used to catch so much sh*t for wearing a full face on my harley...which is weird cuz every day it seems that more and more people are wearing full face.

personally i think half's dont offer enough protection and look goofy to boot.(at least on me). I've gotta bad *** scorpion exo700 full face that matches my icon "dead mans hand" leather jacket(which i cant wear cuz its too freakin hot!) but come "winter" (south texas "winter" is VERY different from everyone elses..) i'll be sporting the whole get up...even to the grocery store..

Old 09-15-2009, 01:12 PM
Healey2Harley
Road Master

I use a half helmet with a tinted shield for trips plus ear plugs.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:11 PM
motordrum
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like my half helmet and big-*** goggles!

Old 09-15-2009, 05:40 PM
Cpitch
Road Master

Originally Posted by motordrum
I like my half helmet and big-*** goggles!
I'd totally rock big goggles if i didnt wear glasses

Old 09-15-2009, 07:58 PM
glennm
Novice

Wow, I went to work and when I came home -- two pages !!! I like the earplugs for sure, like everyone says, they make it quieter and more relaxed. I think a ff helmut is on the list for me. The only thing, every time I look at them they have tons of graphics and look like they are for the rice rocket crowd -- any one know of a nice black ff that doesn't scream out "I'm a teenager" ????

Old 09-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Oibrigand
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dlhike
Saw something on American Thunder were it looked like a female had some type of attached ear muffs? on the straps of a 1/2 helmet but haven't been able to locate.
The Bell Drifter helmet has removable ear pieces for when the weather gets cold, or you want a little noise reduction. Works pretty well but it's nothing like earplugs (in the noise reduction department)
http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/de...Drifter_Helmet
(the helmets on the link are overpriced, just wanted to give you an example)

Old 09-15-2009, 08:16 PM
valet21
Intermediate

I wear a full face, Icon brand flat black. Imho with a FF I can concentrate on enjoying the ride and not worry about wind/rain/bugs/rocks/cold on my face. I suggest you try it.

EDIT: Here's a link http://www.rideicon.com/product_deta...y=2228&id=8811 it matches my Iron perfectly.

Last edited by valet21; 09-15-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Grammaton
Road Master

I wear ear plugs for every ride. I can hear everything I would be able to hear while riding and when I stop I can hear better than I would be able to without wearing plugs. I get the orange ones from Howard Leight (33 decibel reduction). There are things I can hear with the plugs that I can't hear without them. Some frequencies cut through more easily.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:19 AM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Full Face and ear plugs ALL the time. I already had my jaw wired shut from a hit and run driver taking me and my motorcycle out. I lost 48 lbs in the time it took to take the wires off. I have a solid white Shoei helmet and people have told me that they think that I am a cop when they see the white helmet and the motorcycle on the road. I just want them to SEE me period!

Quick Reply: highway riding