Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is it about a Sportster?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 01:56 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default What is it about a Sportster?

Wife and I went to the NC HOG rally in Asheville this past weekend. My son lives about 40 miles from Asheville so he met us for dinner Friday night. We go to Chili's and just happen to get the parking space right by the front door. As luck would have it, we get seated next to the window right next to where we park. It's nice to be able to keep an eye on your stuff while you eat.

So as we are having dinner, there are people coming and going by where our bikes are parked. There must have been 8 different instances where someone stopped to look at my son's Sportser but no one gave my Road King a second look!! Both bikes are stock more or less, with the usual chrome add-ons. My son's Sportster is an 2004 1200C, Impact Blue with the chrome side panels, chrome swing arm, rear pulley, belt guard and a few other minor chrome goodies. My Road King is a 2005 Classic with a few other chrome pieces added. Both models come from the factory with a "Chrome package" already installed so they're both pretty sharp.

It didn't really bother me that there was more attention paid to the Sportster than the RK, just found it interesting, I guess.

On the flip side, we're in Asheville last fall and I switch bikes with my son, he's on my RK and I'm on his Sporty. We're at a red light and a girl sticks her head out of the window of the SUV in front of us, she yells at my son "There's a girl in here that thinks you're hot". I told him it was the bike (my RK), and not him. I gave him a hard time about that for a while but after our experience at Chili's last weekend, I cant' use that line on him any more.

Old 06-14-2006, 03:00 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: What is it about a Sportster?

Cool Story!

I'll tell you, I think it's that retro but sort of modern look that these newer generation Sportsters have. HD has done a great job redesigning the new Sportys both the Custom and Roadster models. When they are done up with all the nice add-ons, they really look killer in my opinion. As has often been said on this site...Sporties are cool!

BTW...I plan on making my next bike a Road King Classic so I can comfortably ride two up with my woman...But there ain't no way in hell I'm giving up my Sportster. Just adding to the stable

Old 06-14-2006, 03:22 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I had owned nothing but Big Twins since 1972, and the last time I rode a Sportster was in the 1980's, but when a friend of mine that has a dealership talked me into checking out a '05 1200C that he had I bought it on the spot..

It's a perfect balance of light weight, great handling, and superb performance. The 50+ MPG I currently get is also much better than that of any of my Big Twins.

I prefer the "old school, chopper look", so mine has been modified, but even in stock condition the Sportster was just a fun ride that couldn't help but make you smile.

Since I got mine a couple of months ago, 2 of my friends with Big Twin's have also purchased Sportsters.

Old 06-14-2006, 05:37 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Besides all the pleasures of riding it, my 05 1220 C is probably the prettiest damn bike I've owned in a long time. Just love it!

Old 06-14-2006, 06:29 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

BTW...I plan on making my next bike a Road King Classic so I can comfortably ride two up with my woman...
That's the reason this 52 yr. old fat guy bought a RK. I'll trade off with my son and take a spin on his Sportster every chance I get, though. My son has done a good job with the bling he has added, I think he's kept a good balance. If it wasn't for my wife riding, I may have bought a 1200 Roadster. However, after riding the RK for a year....................that's a whole 'nother discussion.

And depending on what the MOCO may come up with for the 50th anniversary of the Sportster, I may have to figure out how to get a second motorcycle in the garage.

Like my son told me, neither bike is right or wrong, just designed to do two different things.

Old 06-14-2006, 10:35 PM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know, but I can't tell you how many times people have commented on my '05 Sporty XLC...

I get all this beautiful, awesome, sharp and every other superlative you can imagine...

Sure I have done about 3k worth of add-ons to it, like... Chrome hand and foot controls, Street Sweeper pipes, Chrome belt guards, Stilleto footpegs and grips and the like, but even before that there were loads of compliments.

Sure does make you smile....

I am sure the add-on list will keep getting added on!

Charlie D.

Old 06-15-2006, 03:27 AM
skullcrusher
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it just me or dont sportster customs look like mini deuce's?

Old 06-15-2006, 07:28 PM
Blackbird
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

When I looked at all the bikes available I found myselft drawn to the 1200C Sportster because of it's looks more than anything. It was love at first sight. [sm=loveeyes.gif]

Old 06-15-2006, 08:35 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

When I had my 05 Sporty I got tons of looks and always got compliments. It was the same way with my previous 2 Sportys. Now I am just a face in the crowd. [sm=smiley6.gif]

This was my 05.

Name:  bar2.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  145.6 KB

Old 06-15-2006, 09:45 PM
alexcue
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've gotten so many compliments on my bike, I'm getting embarrased to tell my wife! Who would have thunk that a bike would be the ideal icebreaker for women to come up to talk to me or just stare at the bike! heck even some guys (non-riders) just have to come by and give me the "nice bike" comment.

a friends says it's the bad-boy image that the bike represents, but i don't know, there's been some fine looking woman who aren't shy to come up and ask me about it. I told my wife about it the first few times, but now I'm just keeping my mouth shut, don't want to ruin a good thing with the misses.

Quick Reply: What is it about a Sportster?