Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An Iron followed me home from the dealer today, got a few observations

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 01:23 AM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default An Iron followed me home from the dealer today, got a few observations

Yeah, dealer finally decided to deal, so I brought one home...well, I should say I rode one home. The ride home was full of surprizes.

First off I noticed how quiet it was.....It sounded like a Vespa scooter....That was really disappointing but exhaust is always the first thing I replace.

Second, I noticed how whimpy she seemed compared to my '07 XL1200C..NO JOY when twisting the throttle! But I already planned a 1200 conversion.

I was however, impressed with the ride and handling over my '07 XL1200C. There was much less vibration in the bars and the smaller diameter but fatter front tire really helped making handling light and less straining at really slow speeds. Even on the hwy she handled lots better.

So ok, this scoot has great handling, and killer looks...all she needs is grunt.

I tore into her and discovered several important changes that look like they might impact my planned mods.....There is no longer a hole in the rear fender under the seat to install a PCV or Tmax autotune......Nor does there seem any place else with room left to install same.....THAT is gonna be a problem!

I kept my '07 Raod King and '07 XL1200C....I'm hoping this Iron will round out my little collection providing I can make the necessary mods. So far, I'm off to a bad start.

Last edited by oinker02; 09-06-2009 at 04:36 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:37 AM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

After riding a 1200, jumping on an 883 is a huge let down... you will be happier after the conversion. If I didn't have to deal with the ecm in my fender, I'd have a spring seat on my nightie.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:05 AM
Austen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

like i always say, the iron and nightster are great STARTS. lots of modding makes it look hot.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:22 AM
oinker02
Banned

I agree Austen, but you too would be disappointed quickly if you discovered there was no place to install the fueler you needed when you moded your exhaust and intake....I'm certain you have a feuler of some sort tucked under your seat, huh?

HD moved the EMC from under the seat in 2010 so we could buy and install their new solo spring seat, but they sure left us performance freaks out in the cold.

If no one like Dynomax or Thundermax comes up with a fix, we are going to be forced to buy a SERT and be strapped to a dealer dyno everytime we make an engine mod....I use Thundermax auto tunes and they are the absolute best way to go providing you have a place to mount them.

Old 09-06-2009, 02:37 AM
Austen
Road Captain

no power commander or fuelpak for me, strait up dyno tune

Old 09-06-2009, 03:00 AM
oinker02
Banned

Originally Posted by Austen
no power commander or fuelpak for me, strait up dyno tune
Wow, I guess you like spending money on a continous basis......Hey, whatever blows your skirt up....Beside that, without a fueler of some sort, no dyno can do anything but plot your power curve....Just what device do you have installed that allows them to actually change your fuel map?....Please don't tell me you are running a stock ECM and allowing them to install "HD flashes"...Oh, please don't tell me that!

Let's don't turn this into a "what's best, fueler or dyno?" thread, how about we keep it where we discuss the problem at hand? That being, "there is now NO place to install a fueler device unless it's a HD SERT".

Last edited by oinker02; 09-06-2009 at 03:06 AM.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:15 AM
Austen
Road Captain

i honestly dont know exactly what they did. i have some sort of screamin eagle key that has the "dyno key" in it. i had money so i spent it. oh well.

Old 09-06-2009, 03:46 AM
oinker02
Banned

Then all that is possible is that they installed a SERT...How much money did you spend on the end result?

Many of us 2010 guys might end up going that route. It would help this thread if you could provide more info, like what the dealer installed and the cost involved.....Seeing as how your scoot is an older model and you have a hole in the rear fender and could have gone with several other means, we with 2010's don't have that option as of yet, so we don't need your input.

Stop playing dumb and spouting about how all you did was spend money and don't know what you spent it on. This thread is directed toward us guys with 2010's who need a fix....I've got three new HD scoots and I too can spend lots of money, but I always know what I bought with it and how to save my money when I spend it.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:23 AM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're not planning on running a spring seat why don't you just cut that hole in your fender or find some guy with an 09 Iron to trade you? I'm sure there are plenty of guys out there willing to do so.

I have the stock ECM mount bucket and the part of my fenderI removed with the hole just sitting around. You could use the fender drop I have to make a template & simply pop in the stock ECM bucket for your added component.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:34 AM
oinker02
Banned

Originally Posted by mreed
If you're not planning on running a spring seat why don't you just cut that hole in your fender or find some guy with an 09 Iron to trade you? I'm sure there are plenty of guys out there willing to do so.

I have the stock ECM mount bucket and the part of my fenderI removed with the hole just sitting around. You could use the fender drop I have to make a template & simply pop in the stock ECM bucket for your added component.
That's a great suggestion but it already flicked thru my mind.....I won't hesitate to cut the hole as I already have a spare PCIII and plastic bucket they provided to drop the ECM and PCII into. I could use the bucket as a template to cut the hole......I could also adapt the bucket to install a Tmax autotune by placing the autotune modules under the Tmax in the deeper bucket.

But I need to do a teardown first and compare it to my '07.....I first must see how the 2010 ECM wire loom is configured and if it will all reach and simply plug in like on an '07-'09......It it will, then I'll get out the angle grinder and make sparks.....If not, I'll scratch my head some more.

Thanks sincerely for helping return this thread to the proper topic.......This topic will soon become important, and us guys here might just be the first to find a fix.

Quick Reply: An Iron followed me home from the dealer today, got a few observations