Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie looking at Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 12:53 AM
gman697
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie looking at Sportster

Hey guys, just joined the forum and looking for advice. Ive recently been looking at Harley's and have become interested all of a sudden? Havent really been in to Cycles much, muscle cars have always been my thing. But anyway I was looking at the Sportster 1200 Low today. Very sharp bike. Im a small guy at only 130lbs and 5'6 in height, so I figured any Sportster would fit me pretty well. I have ridden a dirt bike once, always owned a ATV. So yea you can say im pretty new to the bike world. Havent been to my local dealership yet but I was wondering how much money would it take to get one of these out of the dealership, average? I know it ranges and need to test ride it first. Thanks!

Old 06-13-2006, 01:11 AM
XL OCD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Newbie looking at Sportster

Depending upon where you're at, you can sometimes get them a little below MSRP. I'd try for MSRP and $1000 in store credit. Gives you a good deal and the dealership's like that option. I didn't pay Setup/Freight either w/ that deal.

Old 06-13-2006, 01:41 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

a new one is nice, but there are a crapload of sportys around with a couple thousand miles on em, whos owners moved on to another ride, or got scared and decided to sell their new ride, check out ebay or cycletrader, and you may save a couple grand.
they are very cool rides...........good luck

Old 06-13-2006, 07:24 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Mike is right. I bought My 05 1200 C on eBay. It had 1300 miles on it and I figure the original owner lost over 4,000.00 on the deal.

If you can be patient and shop, you can save alot of money. My bike is exactly what it would be if I had bought it new off the dealer showroom floor a month and a half ago and a hell of a lot cheaper.

Old 06-13-2006, 10:26 AM
gman697
6th Gear

Thanks for the advice guys. Think I might just do that. Doesnt Harley have something where you can actually rent a bike to test it out?

Old 06-13-2006, 10:35 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Most dealerships have a rental department. If, after that, you buy a new bike (which I wouldn't do) they will deduct the rental fee from the cost of the bike. Atleast as far as I know all of them do that.

Old 06-13-2006, 11:50 PM
spikehyre
Road Master

As with the previous posts...go used. I bought an 04 in 05 with only 2000 miles that the guy traded in for a softail. Below the price of a new bike with lots of extras put on by the original owner, like chrome and uh, chrome. A lot of dealers have demo days where you can try different bikes....provided you have a cycle endorsement on your license. After dirt bikes you will love the weight to power ratio of the sportster...fun and fast.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:27 AM
aggscott
6th Gear

If interested I got a 04 1200R for sale!! I'm too only 5'6" and the 1200R suits me fine. I can plant my feet down easy. My for sale add is in the classifieds on the forum

Old 06-14-2006, 04:25 AM
Tralfaz
Road Master

I'm not quite sure what it is about the area I'm in, but there are not really many sportsters to be had within quite a radius here. Heck, even looking on ebay there are only 2 1200C's within a 50 mile radius of me, and both are 2003 anniversary editions, with one priced above what I can buy a new 2006 for (though that one has, I think, new pipes).

Outside of that, two dealers in the area have a few Sportster's, but only one has a 1200C and it seems to be priced close to retail as well (though it has saddle bags and a backrest, so it's hard to tell for sure how much those were originally). I've also found another 2003 anniversary edition in the local classifieds. So basically all of 4 to choose from, and none of them would save me more than about $1000 after the deal I've negotiated with the nearest dealer.

Of course, all you guys are talking about a 1200R, but the choices are actually more limited in my area for those. I'm not sure if they are just popular in my area, or what the story is. Whatever the case, I'm just taking the hit and going new since, for the extra $ I can get a warranty, the exact color choice I want. In my research I also noticed that they did a bit of a redesign on a few things in 2004 (rubber engine mounts being the one I see most talked about), which makes me less interested in a 2003 model.

Of course, I just know that after I buy it new, I'll suddenly see the classifieds flooded with used ones.

Old 06-14-2006, 05:24 AM
tpwompom
Novice

Hey Gman...I am 5'6 myself, 185lbs....bought an 06 Cobalt blue 1200L with laced wheels and security at end of may. It is my first bike, but 480 miles into it I think it is a great bike. I live north of Boston and went to three dealers who amazingly enough had the same bike, what are those chances. I told each dealer I was buying a bike cash today...and to be fair would not disclose what the other dealer quotes were. One dealer was MSRP (no discount or incentive).....the second dealer said MSRP and $250 store credit....and the third dealer said MSRP and $800 store credit. Each Quote was MSRP and none charged for Freight or Set up fees. So my cost was(bike $9615, Laced Wheel $320, HD Security System $275) total MSRP price of $10,215....and $800 in store credit which last about as long as the Patriots lasted in the 86 Superbowl against the Bears. I do mostly suburbia riding and secondary roads so the mid-controls are perfect.....that is just a personal preference thing anyway. Good luck on you decision.

Quick Reply: Newbie looking at Sportster