Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I don't get it????????

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009 | 04:32 PM
jag1886
|
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I don't get it????????

I own 2 Sportsters, a 2000 and a 2003. They are both completely rebuilt into something they wheren't.
What I don't get is why would anyone spend $10,000 on a new FI Sportster and then have to pay another $1-2000 for a Tuner, Dyno tune, pipes or mufflers and an aircleaner.
Why woundn't you people buy a good used Sporty and spend 1/2 what it costs to tune a new bike????
I can see spending that much on my RK but not a Sportster, that's money you will never get back ($1-2000 is 10-20% of what the bike is worth) and the percentage is even worse for the 883 owners.

Old 09-05-2009 | 05:11 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I looked at a lot of used and either they were beat up and not maintained, or they wanted a bunch of money for accessories I didn't want (like weenie shield, crash bars, tank bra, saddle bags etc), or just way overpriced.
So for me to spend a couple grand more and get brand new (with a warranty for what that's worth) and work from there just made better sense.
One of the big problems (for me anyway) was all the used Sportsters were either stock (so needed everything anyway) or in most cases were turned into some kind of "mini bagger" and needed even more work and money spent to undo all the mini bagger stuff to put it back to what a Sportster should be, a sporting Harley.
The other thing is I don't really care about resale as I intend to keep this bike a long time.
I'm happy with the choice I made but it certainly might not be the right choice for everyone.

Old 09-05-2009 | 06:18 PM
DelRider
Cruiser
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Life isn't always lived by a ledger sheet; your time on a bike is just one unsignaled left turn away from being at an end. I say, If you have the coin and inclination to buy a new bike then chop it up, knock yourself out. And don't forget to post pics when your done

Old 09-05-2009 | 07:14 PM
woodworking1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought used from a good friend of mine. The only way I would buy used unless it came with a good warranty. You never know what or how someone else has ridden their bike. (they might ride it like I ride mine!) IMO every used bike needs to be gone over with a fine tooth comb to make sure the motor (and everything else)is tight. Too many times you get someones elses problems. And not many sellers are going to let you take a perspective purchase to your mechanic for a once over. My brother in law just bought a 08 streetglide with 10,000 miles on it and got the dealer to throw in a 3 yr warranty. Not too shabby.

Old 09-05-2009 | 07:15 PM
mreed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DelRider
Life isn't always lived by a ledger sheet; your time on a bike is just one unsignaled left turn away from being at an end. I say, If you have the coin and inclination to buy a new bike then chop it up, knock yourself out. And don't forget to post pics when your done

Right on...

Old 09-05-2009 | 07:36 PM
TRacer
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DelRider
Just wanted to say--- DelRider: awesome avatar; I have a 20-lb. long-haired Weinerdog named Gromit.

Old 09-05-2009 | 07:59 PM
kahaone
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

And some people probably wonder why the hell someone who buy a used bike, with no warranty, and no idea how it had been treated, handled, maintained from the previous owner(s). It's just a decision some people make. Personally, I preffered a new bike over something that someone else may have beaten to within an inch of it's life, and is now trying to unload it. If you prefer used bikes....go for it. But do you really think everyone should buy a used bike?? If so, soon all the used bikes would be gone because no one is buying new.

Old 09-05-2009 | 08:09 PM
BSW3
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my O7 used, but it only had 256 miles on it!!! I have been able to slowly make the changes to the bike that I like. I have added a mustang wide vintage solo seat, SE II pipes (the good ones!), Kuriakyn iso grips, and dyna pegs. the best part is that the only thing I have bought new is the grips, everything else I have purchased from HDF members!

Old 09-05-2009 | 08:21 PM
Blackcherry Low
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jag1886
I own 2 Sportsters, a 2000 and a 2003. They are both completely rebuilt into something they wheren't.
What I don't get is why would anyone spend $10,000 on a new FI Sportster and then have to pay another $1-2000 for a Tuner, Dyno tune, pipes or mufflers and an aircleaner.
Why woundn't you people buy a good used Sporty and spend 1/2 what it costs to tune a new bike????
I can see spending that much on my RK but not a Sportster, that's money you will never get back ($1-2000 is 10-20% of what the bike is worth) and the percentage is even worse for the 883 owners.
Good luck buying a new RK for 10K.

Old 09-05-2009 | 08:25 PM
Blackcherry Low
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jag1886
Why woundn't you people
What people are we? As if we did something wrong.

And how much do you have invested in each of your bikes?

Quick Reply: I don't get it????????