Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I don't get it????????

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 07:12 PM
teamstersteward
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you mated a bull dog and a shitsu, would it be called a bullshit?

Old 09-07-2009, 06:20 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fastkevin
It only costs half as much to tune a used bike as it does a new one?
As far as "not getting your money back".. you think you'll get it back on a Road King?
I just looked up resale on an '08 RK and an '08 Nightster.. At the wholesale level(true indicator of vehicle's worth), the RK lost $6800, and the Nightster lost a little less than $3k. With MSRP's of roughly $9900 and $17,000 respectively, do the math and tell me which one looses more value..both overall and percentage wise. You lose a bigger percentage of what you spent on the RK than you do on the Sportster.
Beyond that people usually are smart enough to know vehicles aren't purchased as an investment. The vast majority of them lose value the second you ride/drive it off the lot.
They therefore don't buy them for that reason. They buy 'em with the expectation of having fun, and that's the return they look for from their investment. This being the case...what you spend and what you get back when you sell it is a moot point. You'll spend what you can afford to, and you get re-paid from the enjoyment the bike gives you.
As far as investing in things that make your bike go faster, I look at it totally opposite of how you do.. I see a Road King and think of an RV. It's big and slow. Spending money to make it go from 0-60 in 8 seconds, to 0-60 in 7.8 seconds(an example as I have no idea how slow they are) doesn't change the fact that it's still slow, and always will be. I wouldn't do it..but then again I wouldn't buy a Road King either.
Spend an equal amount of money on a Sportster, and you'll get something back that's actually reasonably quick. Very quick for a Harley.
So there's an answer to your question...
Not everybody thinks the way you do.
I figured there would be a couple of people that would completely miss the point I was trying to make and also figured there would be at least one that would poke fun at a RK, and you did both.
All I was trying to say was a few years ago you could buy a Harley for less than $10,000 and it cost about $500 to do a stage 1 upgrade, now it cost 3 times that amount, and just so you know the stage 1 upgrade costs the same for a Big Twin as a Sportster.
The market these days is so bloated with Harleys that you can Sporsters all day long for a good price that have less the a couple thousand miles on them.
I would bet that the warranty carries over also.
It just seems like Harley is ripping Sportater owners off, the Sportster is suppose to be the base model and you would think Harley would give the bike more performance from the get go or at least figure out a way to make the upgrade in line with what the bike costs.
One last thing my RK/RV makes 90HP and unless you have more than a stage 1 done to your Sporty you're not going to keep.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:44 AM
fastkevin
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jag1886
I figured there would be a couple of people that would completely miss the point I was trying to make and also figured there would be at least one that would poke fun at a RK, and you did both.
The facts I gave are correct, and I basically wrote the same thing about a Road King that you did about a Sportster. My opinion is simply different than yours. As you wrote, you're apparently having a hard time understanding how people could disagree with you, so while I'm happy that you found humor in my post(I'll be here all week..tip your waitress and try the veal), I'm not kidding when I say that IMO, spending money to improve the performance on a Road King is a waste. It's not it's cup 'o tea, and that's my.