Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrecked

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Amzie
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrecked-UPDATE ON STATUS

I AM DOING AN UPDATE ON STATUS AT THE END OF THIS FIRST POST.
The two week vacation that I was going to take my brother to the North Rim, where I released our sister's ashes last year, and then on thru Colorado, Utah etc.. and show him the beauty I found...well, we didn't even make it out of the State. I don't remember anything from the time we left his town(about 2-3 hours from the wreck site) until my third day in ICU ... but the story is that he pulled out to pass slow traffic, then I pulled out, and two vehicles up ahead, a farm truck decided to turn left in front of us. Bro and is motorcycle are fine, minor damage. I was not as fortunate. Apparently I scared him and most of my family quite a bit. When he made it back to me I was already gurgling (his words) and he started telling God that he had already lost one sister, he wasn't going to loose another one. I saw the pictures of my first day, and it looked like a semi rolled over me. Bro said a few inches farther to the side and I would have either lost my head or been in two pieces on any account. I ended up with multiple facial fractures, partially collapsed lung, ruptured spleen, 6th nerve palsy of the left eye, and plenty of road rash. They rebuilt my nose and put what looked like little surf boards up it ( I stopped the doc to look at them when they were taking them out). The left eye is what is giving me problems right now. It is looking at my nose because the 6th nerve, the one responsible for making the eye look out is traumatized and not working. They say it will probably heal itself with in 2-3 months. Until then, I will be dizzy, (which makes walking, reading, watching tv ect.. real fun) not able to drive or work. UGH! And my teeth feel like they all have tiny little radio receivers inside them tuned down to a flea fart. Noise is oh so much fun.
What I can't get over is almost everyone I have met during the 'getting me healed' process says the same thing "well I guess you are done with motorcycles now". Actually, I am looking forward to getting back in the wind asap, even though that will be awhile yet.
Which leads me to my questions for those of you who have been thru this. I really would like to rebuild my bike, even though the insurance isn't coming close to what I think it should(when does it huh?!). No major damage, the frame is fine. Broken handlebars (brand new damn it), headlight, windshield, turn signals, pipes, pegs, tank has damage, ... all the things you expect. But insurance minus the 1,500.00 salvage is only willing to pay $5971.25. Or $7471.25 if I don't keep it.
Questions are 1.) Thoughts on rebuilding?
2.) Anyone else have memory loss, does it come back? (not sure I want it to)
3.) Anyone else acquire claustrophobia after their wreck?
Makes having to take an MRI really fun!
4.) do you ever get past the urge to make faces at the people staring at you? lol

Reading this forum (when my eyes can handle it) has kept me sane these many nights of insomnia, laying in bed reading it on my phone. I just have been unable to post until now. Thanks everyone, safe travels to us all.

UPDATE- After 5 months, my eye has returned to movement; but is not tracking with the right eye. I see two of everything....kinda like a night out with way too much to drink.
I am scheduled for eye surgery the morning of the 30th. The surgeon is going to operate on the inside muscle of both eyes and loosen them so that they float out more, and also on the lower one of the left (effected eye) so that it floats up more. Although he can not promise my vision will be 100%, what they can promise is that what I see will no longer be 3 foot apart ... and what ever variation of images that I have, can be corrected by prism glasses.
Very thankful I can get the surgery before the end of the year (insurance will pay 100%) rather than wait until next year when I have to cover deductible and out of pocket all over again. Can NOT wait until I only see ONE of everything again!!!! and I can go back to work/driving again.
The last 5 months are beginning to ware on me and cause me to loose my zen about the whole matter. '
Up to now I have been good... but the last two weeks I have been cussing the unknown driver of the truck who turned in front of us and didn't even bother to stop after he saw what he did. He screwed up my life and lively hood and didn't even care. agghhhh! Now I gotta work on my zen again!
Anyway... even though I have turned my brother onto this forum and I may blow the surprise if he is reading...I already have my Beastie's replacement sitting, waiting on me. That is a story for another post...and another miracle report in itself.
Once I get my eye fixed...and the weather allows, I will take it out for our first spin together.
Now if I could only figure out how to get the road rash on my shoulder to hurry up and heal already! It is raised up, hurty, red, ugly still!
Thank you everyone for everything. Just being here, and posting all you do has helped more than I can ever express. I would lay in bed, one eye taped, reading the posts, until the headache said enough. You have made the last 5 months pass easier! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to us all!

~Amzie

Last edited by Amzie; 12-27-2009 at 11:30 AM. Reason: UPDATE ON STATUS
Old 09-04-2009, 05:00 PM
icecaps
Reading More Posting Less
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hope the best for you in the healing process. You're sounding really brave - prayers are with you. Take your time and don't jump into anything too quickly.

1) As serious as the wreck sounds, I'd let them total the bike and start again with a new one. Too many things can get tweeked and show up later.
2) Don't Know
3) They do have "Open Air" MRI machines: http://www.renoopenairmri.com/phobia
4) It start's with that ....

Old 09-04-2009, 05:24 PM
harlista01
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear about your accident. I am glad you are alive. I hope your healing process goes well.

I admire your desire on getting back on the road. It helps to keep your mind busy after such an experience.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:51 PM
missannies
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow...Praying for you and your family. Your body won't heal as fast as you want it to, but please take it easy so in the spring you'll be ready to get back out. I'm sure sorry your bike is such a mess, but I agree with icecaps, just get a new one and start fresh. Glad you made it through all that mess!

Old 09-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Cpitch
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, i cant imagine what you must have gone through...your a tuff one!!! but it seems your in high spirits considering the recovery road ahead of you. Keep ridin!!!

Old 09-04-2009, 06:11 PM
danktat
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear that you went down. I have been down and it is no fun. Not nearly the injuries you have experienced but it is a rough experience none the less. I was more worried about my bike than my body oddly enough. Definitely was ready to get back up on the horse asap. Just make sure that you are physically ready before you do.

I would personally go for the larger check and start over....after a crash, you never know how much damage has REALLY been done. Sometimes a bike (or a body) is never exactly right again. At least you can guarantee that your bike is up to snuff if you just get a new (or close to new) one.

Good luck and a speedy recovery.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:20 PM
16_Tri-Glide
Road Master
Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm very relieved that you are still here with us to tell us your story.

Depends upon what bike you currently ride and own, but like others have said, it might be better to just take the money and buy another bike.

Did the farm truck driver get cited for causing the accident? Do some research to find out what your bike is worth and what the farm truck driver's insurance company is trying to pay you for your bike if they are responsible for the accident. Then you can negotiate with them via your insurance company to settle on a fair payment to you.

Make sure his insurance company is paying all of your hospital bills and costs.

May God be with you and give you a full speedy recovery so you can be riding a new Hog soon.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:57 PM
bilsd1818
Intermediate

Wow! Glad to hear you are alive! I hope you are able to recover quickly!

I have an answer for #2. I was in a vehicle accident and had memory loss. I never have recovered it... and it's been 15 years. I also lost pieces of memory from that time period. strange... not just the day and following days in the ICU... stuff that happened before it!

I know everyone is different, and you may recover your memory. Never know.

Keep us updated on how you are doing!!!!

Old 09-04-2009, 07:10 PM
jbg
Road Warrior

I agree with everyone else... I went down about 3 months ago and I'm going in for ACL surgery for it next week. I won't be riding for a while either. But with my sporty, they didn't consider it a wreck and they fixed it. Cost about $6K for the insurance company to fix it. And I have to admit, it's in pretty good shape again. However, it's your baby and I keep finding little issues that I wish had been resolved. A little nick here or a bend in a bar there that nobody caught earlier. Nothing big...but I notice it. Just take the bigger check start over.

As for your question #3... I was pushed off the freeway on the way to Vegas by a semi. I now find myself freaking out a little whenever I have a semi next to me or I get blocked in next to a wall and a big truck. I've found I just need to stay out of those situations and I'm just fine. You'll know it when it happens and you'll just back off and get out of there. You'll be fine. Just don't stay off the bike too long! Good luck!

Old 09-04-2009, 07:14 PM
CapnAdventure
Outstanding HDF Member

Holy cow, Amzie, what a stunner reading about your travails! After my accident last October, I could think of nothing except getting back in the saddle. U will, too. I would take the total and get a new beastie. In answer to Q #4...no, lol.

Quick Reply: Wrecked