Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I've had my Super Glide for about 6 months

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 05:34 PM
harlista01
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear about you not like your new bike. I debated with this issue for a couple of weeks ago, but I ended up trading my sporty for a street bob. This happened two weeks ago and I am really liking the street bob.

But like other posters said, it is a case for having multiple bikes.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:13 PM
Hitechluddite
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my Sporty as a bike to ride till the kids got old enough that the wife could ride with me again but now I'm thinking it will always be around.... I'm sure another tourer is in the future somewhere but I think the Sporty will still see a lot of miles when I get it.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:55 PM
icecaps
Reading More Posting Less

Originally Posted by Jhorra
Original post edited for clarity.

Honestly I just don't care for the larger size bike. I'm about average size, 5'10" 185 lbs, so I have no problems handling the bigger bike, but I just felt so much better on my Sportster. So much more maneuverable. I thought I needed this bike since I was going to be riding to work every day on the freeway, but I took my Sportster 883 to Vegas with no issues .

I think I got caught up in how good a deal the trade in program was and thinking bigger was better.

My plan is to pay down the Dyna to a point where I can sell it, then buy another Sportster.
Might want to test ride or rent a Sportster before the trade-in. Sometimes memories are fonder than reality.

Whatever, hope you find the bike that is right for you.

BTW - getting rid of the stock buckhorns makes a big handling improvemment on the SuperGlide.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:01 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by icecaps
BTW - getting rid of the stock buckhorns makes a big handling improvemment on the SuperGlide.
Icecaps, would you mind telling us (i.e. me) what you replaced the stock bars with?
I was very comfortable with the Sportster's bars, less so with the Glide's, and I'm
already thinking of a change.

Old 09-04-2009, 09:05 PM
crashin
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

I loved my sporty.... That's why I kept it and added to the garage.

Old 09-05-2009, 01:47 AM
icecaps
Reading More Posting Less

Originally Posted by Mike Horrell
Icecaps, would you mind telling us (i.e. me) what you replaced the stock bars with?
I was very comfortable with the Sportster's bars, less so with the Glide's, and I'm
already thinking of a change.
First change - 4.5" P/B risers and Sportster handlebar (56085-83T) - Good control, very comfortable.

Second change - 7" P/B risers and drag bars - Even better control, not quite as comfortable as the first change.

The buckhorns were the first thing to go on my wife's 883L also.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:41 PM
badbs101
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Been There Done ThaT

I traded my 07 Sportster XL1200R for a 07 Street Bob. I ended up getting rid of the Street Bob and now have a 06 XL1200C. I really like this bike and it's my favorite of the three HDs I've owned. I'm a fan of the carburetor models as the fuel injection on both 07s was too abrupt and stuttery. I'm getting better gas mileage on the carburetor bike too! Sometimes bigger or newer is not better.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:58 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member

I came off a much lighter and quicker metric.I've never completely warmed up to the Dyna.That said there are allot of things you can do to make it feel lighter and quicker handling.First a wider handle bar will give you more leverage which will make it steer quicker, I like a Flanders flat track bar for this.Then you can slide the tubes up in the triples anywhere from 1/2" to 1" to give you a bit more aggressive steering geometry.Last but not least you can actually shave quite a few pounds off these bikes but pulling stuff off them you don't absolutely need.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:01 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That's why you never get rid of a bike you just add to the herd.

Old 09-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master

Originally Posted by icecaps
First change - 4.5" P/B risers and Sportster handlebar (56085-83T) - Good control, very comfortable.

Second change - 7" P/B risers and drag bars - Even better control, not quite as comfortable as the first change.

The buckhorns were the first thing to go on my wife's 883L also.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Quick Reply: So I've had my Super Glide for about 6 months