Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removing a battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 07:31 PM
williamscourtney67
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default removing a battery

could some one plese explain how to remove the battery from a 2005 sportster 1200xl

Old 09-03-2009, 10:25 PM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

Try one of these. I found them by using the search function in the blue bar above ^^^^^^
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...y-removal.html
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...tallation.html

P.S. Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by HarleyScuba; 09-03-2009 at 10:36 PM. Reason: nunya
Old 09-03-2009, 10:59 PM
tom071200c
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its easy.... drop the left side cover. Undo the strap holding the battery in then slide it out and loosen the cables as it comes to you.

Also use the search function next time instead of randomly stealing threads asking a question that doesn't relate to the thread topic

Old 09-04-2009, 03:43 AM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

A service manual would be your best bet! The battery is behind the left side cover. The cover is held on by a couple of little plastic clips. Pull the top of the cover (out) toward you to release it from the clips. It can pivot down and hang by the bottom part of the cover. The battery has one cable (+) facing you and the other cable (-) is away from you on the inside of the battery compartment. Pull off the main fuse first to disconnect the battery from the wiring harness then disconnect the (+) battery cable. I found it easier to disconnect the (-) battery cable by undoing it from where it grounds/connects to the engine close to the starter motor, then I could pull the battery out from the battery compartment and feed the (-) cable from the other side through the right side cover. There are some instructions on the inside of the left side cover after you get it off that may help you too! Get a service manual! Good luck and ride safe!

Old 09-04-2009, 10:10 AM
UPSBROWN
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The guy has 4 posts, get off his ***. He probably isn't all that familiar with the way forums work.
I used to hate people like you, until I figured out how these things work. Different forums have different ways and things you need to click and switch around in order for them to work. Some are very simple. If you don't want to help the guy out. Don't answer the question. No reason to be a smartass.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:48 PM
WVleo
Road Master

Originally Posted by UPSBROWN
The guy has 4 posts, get off his ***. He probably isn't all that familiar with the way forums work.
I used to hate people like you, until I figured out how these things work. Different forums have different ways and things you need to click and switch around in order for them to work. Some are very simple. If you don't want to help the guy out. Don't answer the question. No reason to be a smartass.
+1 to that ! .......WVleo

Old 09-04-2009, 07:49 PM
tom071200c
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry gentlemen. Maybe I should have chosen my words more carefully.
(In his other posts he was asking the same question in posts that didn't pertain to it.)

Last edited by tom071200c; 09-04-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:39 PM
WVRoughrider
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced the factory ground cable with a longer one.Easy to remove now.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:38 PM
williamscourtney67
1st Gear
Default thanks

Originally Posted by XLCR4GM
A service manual would be your best bet! The battery is behind the left side cover. The cover is held on by a couple of little plastic clips. Pull the top of the cover (out) toward you to release it from the clips. It can pivot down and hang by the bottom part of the cover. The battery has one cable (+) facing you and the other cable (-) is away from you on the inside of the battery compartment. Pull off the main fuse first to disconnect the battery from the wiring harness then disconnect the (+) battery cable. I found it easier to disconnect the (-) battery cable by undoing it from where it grounds/connects to the engine close to the starter motor, then I could pull the battery out from the battery compartment and feed the (-) cable from the other side through the right side cover. There are some instructions on the inside of the left side cover after you get it off that may help you too! Get a service manual! Good luck and ride safe!
thank you to all that replied to the battery removal. it was very helpful. and yall are right i am new to these forums but im trying to get the hang of it. if anyone has advice on how to use this better feel free to let me know.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:34 AM
aeproberts
Advanced

Originally Posted by WVRoughrider
I replaced the factory ground cable with a longer one.Easy to remove now.
That is a great idea. I might do that next time I remove the battery to amke the process a lot easier.

Quick Reply: removing a battery