Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake and headlight modulators anyone use em on a sporty?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 04:25 PM
MechsHands
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default brake and headlight modulators anyone use em on a sporty?

Hey everyone,

I figured I would post this since after doing a search there werent too many recent threads and msot were in the touring section.

Does anyone use a brake and or headlight modulator on their sporty? What ones have you used, were did you mount the components and hwo did you like them? Are the plug n play ones better overall or just easier?

They sound like a good idea to draw attention and be seen by others but I wanted to get some advice from the experienced members here before droppin the cash.

Thanks,

MH

Old 09-04-2009, 03:52 AM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a headlight modulator. They go in the headlight housing. Very simple to hook up.

I have noticed people do not pull out in front of me, but will sit there and stare. Those that do pull out don't wait until I am right up on them but do so at a safe distance, and they speed up fairly quickly instead of dragging there feet.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:13 AM
tiger_rider
Tourer

I think the brake light modulators are a very good safety feature especially on a cruiser style bike where the light is so small and close to the ground. Kissan makes very good products. I've been happy with everything that I have gotten from them.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:30 AM
MechsHands
Road Captain

thundermug which kind did you get?

Old 09-04-2009, 07:54 AM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I run a modulator on every bike I own and I plan on installing a modulator on my next bike. In my experience, they have proven themselves to be extremely effective in decreasing the number of cars doing stupid things around me.

One note of caution, the Sportster's headlight bucket is quite small and heat can build up pretty quickly in there. While running a non-stock bulb, I melted a modulator, but after changing back to stock wattage, I have had no heat issue in 17,000 miles.

Regarding brand, I highly recommend Kisan's pathfinder (P115WS, if I recall correctly)

Several years ago, I had a lesser expensive modulator from a less reputable company fail. Rather than fail in the 100% ON position, as required, this failed in the 100% OFF and also took out my low beam AND my driving lights. Of course, this happened in the middle of nowhere at about 9PM. Do NOT go cheap on this. $110 is not a lot of money and if you buy cheap, you buy twice.

Originally Posted by MechsHands
Hey everyone,

I figured I would post this since after doing a search there werent too many recent threads and msot were in the touring section.

Does anyone use a brake and or headlight modulator on their sporty? What ones have you used, were did you mount the components and hwo did you like them? Are the plug n play ones better overall or just easier?

They sound like a good idea to draw attention and be seen by others but I wanted to get some advice from the experienced members here before droppin the cash.

Thanks,

MH

Old 09-04-2009, 08:54 AM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think they draw too much attention and are very annoying. They are too distracting to the other drivers... People are looking at your headlight then veer into your lane cause they aren't paying attention to their driving... of course the bike rider doesn't have to look at that thing flashing in their face. I think they are no good... Just get a Silverstar bulb and/or a light bar to add lighting if you want to be seen better.

Last edited by Gpsjr10; 09-04-2009 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:52 AM
guitarman023
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm guessing a modulator is what makes the lights flash on the big cruisers?

Old 09-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gpsjr10
I think they draw too much attention and are very annoying. They are too distracting to the other drivers... People are looking at your headlight then veer into your lane cause they aren't paying attention to their driving... of course the bike rider doesn't have to look at that thing flashing in their face. I think they are no good... Just get a Silverstar bulb and/or a light bar to add lighting if you want to be seen better.
They draw too much attention? *grin* They're designed specifically to draw attention to the bike. It's a little "wake up" to the cager that's always been extremely effective in my experience.

You have a good point on target fixation, though. Many states now require drivers to change lanes or slow down drastically for stopped emergency vehicles because too many drivers were staring at the pretty lights and hitting them. However, I have not noticed that any more cars veering towards me in the 80,000 miles I've been behind a modulator than I had without them. If anything, cars give me MORE space than before.

But, that's my experience.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:03 AM
NEHD
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone had trouble from the police for using these? Kinda look like emergency vehicle lights. I think they are a great Idea. I hope they come out with the scrolling sign that fits on my back that scolls "Back off jackass" in bright pulsating lights.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:51 AM
MechsHands
Road Captain

Originally Posted by NEHD
Anyone had trouble from the police for using these? Kinda look like emergency vehicle lights. I think they are a great Idea. I hope they come out with the scrolling sign that fits on my back that scolls "Back off jackass" in bright pulsating lights.
From what I have read on them so far they are 100% legal in all 50 states for motorcycles as its a safety thing. I pity the leo that wants to give someone a problem over them.

I had thought of upgrading the bulb to a brighter bulb but now am concerned with the heat issue.

Thanks for the replies everyone I do appreciate it and welcome more

MH

Quick Reply: brake and headlight modulators anyone use em on a sporty?