Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake and headlight modulators anyone use em on a sporty?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Headlight modulators are 50 state legal. Reference This regulation also establishes when the modulator can be used, the frequency it operates at, the failure mode and the light output range.

I, personally, have had no issues with the local constabulary regarding modulators. However, I have some friends that have been stopped for them, but a short, polite conversation seems to get the issue cleared up most of the time with a few exceptions.

Heat issue, keep it in mind, but don't let it ruin your day. I was running an over wattage and a yellow bulb when I melted mine - that puppy put off a LOT of heat. Kisan replaced the modulator even though I told them plainly that the failure was entirely my fault. I'd be far more concerned to have a reputable modulator that won't fail in the 100% off position.

About the scrolling license plate frame NEHD asked about - Here you go!

Old 09-04-2009, 03:19 PM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gpsjr10
I think they draw too much attention and are very annoying. They are too distracting to the other drivers... People are looking at your headlight then veer into your lane cause they aren't paying attention to their driving... of course the bike rider doesn't have to look at that thing flashing in their face. I think they are no good... Just get a Silverstar bulb and/or a light bar to add lighting if you want to be seen better.
I agree 100%. Even my dad that is a super safe rider-never speeds in a car or on a bike hates the Headlight flashers. He said the reason they don't pull out in front of you is becasue they are thinking about how bad they want to shoot you LOL! I agree with that as well. No one wants to get in a bike wreck ever and there ae ways to ride safer, but some stuff is just too dumb looking and takes the fun out of riding IMO-this mod would be one of them.

I have the HD LED taillight on my bike and it light up super fast so I just make a habbit of tapping my brakes a few times before I really get on them to slow down-seems to work well so far.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:01 AM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MechsHands
thundermug which kind did you get?
I googled headlight modulator and clicked on the first link that came up... www.headlightmodulator.com . I think it only cost 80 bucks, was plug and play, and I was riding....got to me in about 3 days.