Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When is a bike a lemon ? 07 XL1200R

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Curious Boy
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When is a bike a lemon ? 07 XL1200R

I bought an 07 XL1200R new 27 months ago. That first summer I put on 5000km. The next summer, it spent 4 months in the shop, they couldn't figure out why it would not stop running when I turned the key off & took it out. I got it home in time for the snow to fly.

This spring, that same oil leak on the top rear cylinder (which was supposedly done exactly 1 yr ago), and then a month later, the bike kept running after I turned it off & pulled out the key. It spent a week in the shop, they say they replaced part of the security system, and I got my bike back.

2 Saturdays later (about 10 days), I went to start the bike, and it wa dead. I mean not even a faint light, nothing. The dealer sent out the trailer, and a few days later I get a phone call saying it needs a new battery.

So, they want me to buy a new battery & tender for a bike that 27 months old? What did they do {not do} that discharged the battery? Should I expect to replace the Sportster battery every other year?

When does a bike become a lemon? 3 seasons and the bike only has 5200 km on it. The main reason for this is last season it spent 4 months in the shop. This season, I can't trust it enough to ride it.

Any suggestions as to what I should do with this bike?

I want to call the dealer & tell him to take his &#*@in bike back, and get me something that works. But, before I get into any trouble, I thought I should ask for someone else's opinion.

Thoughts?

Old 09-03-2009, 02:36 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I'd be trying another dealer.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:03 PM
3rdgear
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to agree. Its very odd that your ignition would do that twice.. granted ignition switches can go bad.. but 2.. sounds like something is shorting them out.. I would confront them about it and see what they can do.. One more time.. but don't talk to the service guy.. talk to someone that is going to get pissed off at his guys because it got that far.. but be calm the more you push the more they are going to push back..

Who have you all talked to?

I would go in there talk to someone in higher management and tell them.... whats going on how long its been going one.. and explain to them that your not really wanting a new bike.. (even if you are..) you just want the issue(s) resolved and regardless of how it needs to be done.. and if they don't want to help you.. find a dealer that will.. and if you cant.. go to corporate..

Thats just my .02

Good luck and let me know how it goes..

(SORRY I KNOW IT SOUNDS VERY REPETITIVE)

Old 09-03-2009, 03:16 PM
Krakanator
Tourer

Sounds more like whoever has been doing the wrenching is at fault. I would take it somewhere else as well.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:23 PM
3rdgear
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 ... not a bad idea..

Old 09-03-2009, 04:32 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I traded my 07 in on something better,I am thinking the 07's had problems

Old 09-03-2009, 05:39 PM
Curious Boy
3rd Gear

After they had the bike for 4 months last summer, I wrote a 2 page letter to the owner of the dealership. I dropped the letter off on the way to work, and he phones me around 2pm, says the bike's all ready. It was October, I just took the bike home to my garage, and watched it snow the next day. The owner said he would make it up to me, but I thought, this season is gone, you can't make it up, just get my bike working.

This year, when the same problem happened, I had a chat with the new service manager when I went to pick it up. No problem, we had to change such n such a part, you're all ready to go. Now, 10 days later the battery is flat dead? Something fishy there.

When I wrote that letter last year, I made 3 copies: dealer, Canadian distributor, & head office. I ran the letter past a buddy at work who's ridden Electras for years, and he said he wouldn't send the other 2, it'll get the dealer in deep dodo. So, I threw those two copies in a drawer.

I'm getting rid of this bike. The only question I have is how. If this dealer has a used Electra, I'll take it. I've heard the new ones have problems. My buddy at work always tells me how wonderful they are. And I'll try the other dealer in town for service.

Or, I might trade the bike for a car somewhere. Only problem with that is I'll get that itch to ride again soon enough ....

Old 09-03-2009, 09:17 PM
fastkevin
Tourer

You'll need to do some research to see if Canada has a Lemon Law, and if so, what qualifies. Here in Calif., it's 3-breakdowns for the same problem and/or 30 days in a repair facility's possession in an 18-month period. The law is written for cars, and until I saw a customer get a Jet Ski LL'd, I didn't think it covered power sports vehicles. Still, it might be different for cars and PSV's... and your country is different than ours, so you'll wanna do some research.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:34 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 07-09 sportys when they get wet the water runs in to the fuse box. The terminals get caroaded causing a battery drain. What the dealers do is clean the terminals in the fuse block and put die elec gel on the terminals. As far as the bike not shuting off. Sounds like a short in the ignation switch. Does it shut off with the kill switch? Do the lights stay on when you shut the ignition switch off after using the kill switch to shut the engine off? My thinking if the engine wont shut off with the ignition switch and the kill switch coukd be a short in the fuse block clean the terminals put die elec gel in every fuse block. There was a tec bullitin on this on the 2010 sportys they changed the location of the fuse box as not to get water getting into it. Id go to another dealer one with a clean shop with older techs no kids.

Last edited by carlo; 09-03-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:48 AM
soup
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My bike is a friggin lemon. Your bike ( no offense sounds like an annoyance )

Quick Reply: When is a bike a lemon ? 07 XL1200R