Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When is a bike a lemon ? 07 XL1200R

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 12:02 PM
wilburz
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

had similiar problems with my 07. water intrusion. causes the relays to go bad. then all kinds of weird crap happens. wont turn off when key is off , etc. finally got the dealer to replace my entire wiring harness and fuse block with a new one. HD would not say it was re-engineered but i have not had a problem since. I also dont drench the bike when washing it anymore and am leary about riding in the rain. I would tell them you want to the harness replaced. I think that is why HD had that big trade in deal on sportsters. they wanted them back becuase of the water intrusion issue and did not want to recall all of them. Cost them less to give you full trade in on a bigger bike then recall all bikes.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:00 PM
Curious Boy
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soup7562
My bike is a friggin lemon. ( no offense sounds like an annoyance )
no offense taken. I had a chat with the owner of that dealership, who insists my problem was a dead battery, ignoring all the other times its been in the shop. I'll pick it up in the morning, and hit up the other dealer in town, & see what they'll do for a trade. I have no interest in keeping this bike, and no intention of going back to this dealer.

Thanks for your comments!

I'll let you know what happens!

Old 09-04-2009, 06:12 PM
soup
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Curious Boy
no offense taken. I had a chat with the owner of that dealership, who insists my problem was a dead battery, ignoring all the other times its been in the shop. I'll pick it up in the morning, and hit up the other dealer in town, & see what they'll do for a trade. I have no interest in keeping this bike, and no intention of going back to this dealer.

Thanks for your comments!

I'll let you know what happens!
Good luck to you, keep us posted

Old 09-05-2009, 09:31 PM
06 roadster
Novice

dont want to highjack this but was wondering the wiring and water problem do I have anything to worry about with a 06 ? Also I dont think your bike is a lemon seems like crapy service by the dealer. They should be able to isolate the problem in the amount of time it has been there. I know what you mean though. The semi I drive at work is a 06 freightliner and that thing is always in the shop for electrical problems so I think of it as a POS>.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:59 PM
Curious Boy
3rd Gear

So I went to pick up the bike,the owner was there to shake my hand and tell me the bike was perfect. I paid $335 for a new battery & tender, got my key, and went out to the bike. It didn't start. Not even a light. Walked back into the shop, waving my key, asking if it was a joke.

A week later, I got my bike back.

It running for now, but I'm not going to waste another summer with this piece of crap. I asked about a trade, was told its worth about $6000. So, after dropping $15,000 on a new Sportster, wasting 2 summers on it, its worth less than half of what I paid for it?

Who should I call? The Canadian distributor? The factory? I've been screwed around too long, now its my turn to cause some grief. I don't want the Sportster, I don't want any Sportster. Selling this lemon on my own will cost me, trading it should cost me less IF they actually acknowledge its a lemon.

I'm tempted to quit messing around and just call Milwaukee. Are they going to care?

I'm just so ticked right now, gotta take some time, listen to any advice before I do something stupid.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:16 PM
eazyrider
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Bro the one constant is the dealer. They may not have any good troubleshooter's there. Take it somewhere else. An indy or anything. Or get a multi-meter and start shooting wires and there you will find your problem. I would bet that once you find the bad wire or relay or whatever it is all the problems will go away. Electrical system's can be scary when you don't know how to work on them but I can assure you that there are Techs out there who can and will do it right. Everything seems interrelated and therefore should be an easy fix once you find the actual problem.
Oh and Soup's bike is a lemon, yours can be fixed.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:15 AM
Steeler
Road Captain
Default The dealer is the lemon.

If they sat with the bike all that time,i quess they killed the batery,you paying for this guys kids colledge fund.
Are you sure he switched out the battery for a new one and just didn't charge the old one.
The waterpoofing on my nighster,conectors and switches leaves much to be desired i have resleaved most of the joins in cable shrink wrap.
Hope you get some quality rides in soon .

Old 09-19-2009, 09:57 AM
02ULTRA
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Curious Boy
So I went to pick up the bike,the owner was there to shake my hand and tell me the bike was perfect. I paid $335 for a new battery & tender, got my key, and went out to the bike. It didn't start. Not even a light. Walked back into the shop, waving my key, asking if it was a joke.

A week later, I got my bike back.

It running for now, but I'm not going to waste another summer with this piece of crap. I asked about a trade, was told its worth about $6000. So, after dropping $15,000 on a new Sportster, wasting 2 summers on it, its worth less than half of what I paid for it?

Who should I call? The Canadian distributor? The factory? I've been screwed around too long, now its my turn to cause some grief. I don't want the Sportster, I don't want any Sportster. Selling this lemon on my own will cost me, trading it should cost me less IF they actually acknowledge its a lemon.

I'm tempted to quit messing around and just call Milwaukee. Are they going to care?

I'm just so ticked right now, gotta take some time, listen to any advice before I do something stupid.

You have given the dealership ample time to make it right, I would be communicating directly with the factory! I don't think the factory appreciates the perception of their product being a piece of Sh*t because a dealer is unable to identify the problem. I would most definitely find a new dealer!

Old 09-19-2009, 10:08 AM
Curious Boy
3rd Gear
Default Do I need to be a mechanic?

I'm not a mechanic, and I'm tired of being taken advantage of. I should find out what this dealer will give me on a trade (not the sales staff, but the owner) before I call the Canadian distributor and say this Sportster is a piece of crap, I'm not wasting another summer with it, get me another bike. I spent my savings on a new bike with the expectations of riding it.

I've lost 2 summers on this Sportster, I'm not going to waste another.
I can't stand riding it, this thing has left me stranded too many times.
I can't take this thing out to the mountains, I simply can't trust it.
This dealer has taken my money, and treated me like crap. He can give me a reasonable trade, and I will be satisfied.
Otherwise, I would like to cause him as much grief as possible.

eazyrider brings up a valid point: if I'm not a mechanic, should I stay away from Harleys? I love to ride, but don't know or want to know how to fix them. Should I just buy another Shadow? They never left me stranded.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:34 AM
eazyrider
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Man my Harley has never left me stranded in 17,000 miles of hard riding. Cold or rain it has always got me home. So I don't think you shouldn't buy another Harley just because of this bike although I wouldn't blame you if you didn't. Another thing to consider is that if you buy a Shadow and it has problems you may have just as many problems with the dealer.

Quick Reply: When is a bike a lemon ? 07 XL1200R