Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too many problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 03:49 AM
skullcrusher
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Too many problems

Well, here i am again. With a brand new sportster thats broke down. I tell you, ive had so many problems out of my bike im getting really tired of it. I seen them new victory's they look nice. But im thinking if i shouldn't be trading in my sporster for a Dyna Sport Bob or something that might be more reliable. I have a 05 883C. 3000 miles and sometimes i want to go out there and light it on fire. Maybe i just got one that was made on a monday or friday. Thank god for my warranty or id had to sell it by now. Ive had my dad use it, he hit a bump and it nocked a wire loose or something and caused a short and blew a fuse so it wouldn't run. Then my push-rod gasket started leaking. It pop alot when it give it gas. It ran out of gas the other day for no reason after just 100 miles. Its been hesitating in first gear alot, maybe my clutch is slipping already. And today just completly shuts off while im runnin 50 down the road. Make it to the side of the road, and i can't get it to turn back over no matter what i do. I turn the cautions on and begin walking home. That god i was only 2 miles from home. (If you dont have a trailer i would invest in one there great, we have one but we lent it out to a friend) Some luck i know. So i push it home and the caution lights wont turn off, i had to unplug the main fuse to get it to finally turn off. Top it off, normally breaks on sunday so i have to wait two days before my dealor opens. Whats the deal with this thing? Anyone else have problems?

Old 06-12-2006, 04:58 AM
millzog
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 118 Likes on 113 Posts
Default RE: Too many problems

Wow dude I feel for you........is there a rain cloud following you around or what ! I think its time to trader in on something else thats a Harley. Good Luck on your adventure !

Old 06-12-2006, 07:00 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry you have the plague. Not a problem with my 05 1200 C.

Old 06-12-2006, 10:19 AM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Sorry to hear about all the problems...

I also have a 2005 (a 1200C with a 2004 Build Date), but haven't had a single problem with it. Almost makes me feel guilty when I hear of some of the problems others are having..

Old 06-12-2006, 10:46 AM
jerseyjeff62
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

find a different dealer and let them fix it

Old 06-12-2006, 03:44 PM
jasonyesensky
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 05 883 C has been fine i have 5200 miles on it and not a problem at all. Soory Man

Old 06-12-2006, 04:30 PM
rhodes2010
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had the same problems on my 2000 883XLH (bought in September 1999).
Just recently it is dying on me too, had to pull over and restart it 4 times on way to work today.

Under the seat, behind the fake cover on left, right behind the battery (the triangle) there is a
bank angle sensor. Parts guy at my dealer says he rarely sells them, so they probably
do not go bad often, but if they do the bike will not start, but you will still get lights I think.

My experience was that the dealer always fixed me up (after I took half a day off work to trailer in the bike).
But it seems it never got marked down as a warrantly repair, so Harley corporate thinks my bike is all perfect.
I would prefer they knew that it is a lemon.

Now, one thing I did do was this: I called the Milwaukee Journal Sentinal, the local newspaper in Milwaukee.
Placed an ad for sale for a harley, listing its current faults ("leaks oil, runs poorly most of the time"), best offer.
After a few serious buyers called I got a call from an inside executive at Harley-Davidson Motors.
This produced a lot of concern for me getting the problems fixed. Of course they were all nice about it, and it worked
okay for a while. It works best when I do not ride it and let it sit in the garage.

http://www2.jsonline.com/classifieds/placead.asp
To place an ad please email us
at class@journalsentinel.com or CALL (414) 224-2121.

This is just what happened to me, your results may differ.

In my 30 years of riding (all non-Harley) I have never had a bike I complained about.
This one is not worth selling, but we cannot justify buying another.

I think it is great that so many of you have no trouble at all, I wish I had one of those bikes.

Old 06-13-2006, 12:44 AM
cmorris48
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: jerseyjeff62

What he said !

Old 06-13-2006, 01:43 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: cmorris48

ORIGINAL: jerseyjeff62

What he said !

yep what they said............hope you have better luck real soon too!!

Old 06-13-2006, 03:14 AM
skullcrusher
Tourer

Wow well thanks for the repley's and thanks for caring. i thought at first it was a sportster thing to have problems. Now i see its not. Just lucky ol' me. And very few others out there. Maybe i should think more about trading it in, or defently finding another dealor to take it too. Im bring it in tomorrow and as soon as i find out whats going on this time. I'l be sure to post and let you know. To bad for a dealorship to consider something as a "lemon" it has to be the same problem three times. My case just has a few variations. Well Ride on..... for those of you who can.

Quick Reply: Too many problems